Mark C. Tan, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Plastic Surgery
Areas of Expertise
- Breast Cancer
- Breast Reconstruction
As a surgeon specializing in breast reconstruction, Mark Tan, M.D., is passionate about matching the right reconstructive procedure to each patient, for the best possible results. “There are no bad choices in terms of reconstruction if patients are selected carefully,” he says.
A graduate of Northwestern University Medical School, Dr. Tan joined City of Hope in 2006 after serving as a physician in private practice in Illinois and as a clinical specialist at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.
Dr. Tan also specializes in the treatment of lymphedema, a swelling that develops due to the abnormal collection of fluid beneath the skin, most commonly in an arm or leg. This can occur when lymph nodes are removed or damaged during cancer treatment.
“Our goal,” he says, “is to try to get patients to the point in their lives where they are no longer constantly reminded of their breast cancer diagnosis, their body image has been restored and they can get on with their lives.”
- 2006 to present - Staff Surgeon, Division of Plastic Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2006 - Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- 2002 to present - Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery Associates, Hoffman Estates, Illinois
- 2001 to 2002 - Clinical Specialist, Department of Plastic Surgery, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
- 1994, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Ill. Doctor of Medicine
- 1990, Northwestern University,Evanston, Illinois. B.A., Neurobiology.
- 2004, Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
- 2002 - , State of Illinois, Licensed Physician and Surgeon
- 2001 - , State of Texas, Licensed Physician and Surgeon
- 1999 - 2001, State of Ohio, Licensed Physician and Surgeon
- 1996 - 1999, State of New York, Licensed Physician and Surgeon
- 2008 to present - The American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery, Active Member
- 2002 to present - American Society of Plastic Surgery, Active Member
- 1990 - Sarah Baskin Award for Excellence in Research, The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago