May Lin Tao, M.D., M.S.
- Radiation Oncology
Areas of Expertise
- Breast Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Brain Tumors
- Lung Cancer
- Rectal Cancer
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Skin Cancers
The best of the best!” - Patient
May Lin Tao, M.D., M.S., receives consistently high praise from her many patients who laud her skills, knowledge and compassionate care.
Dr. Tao is a board-certified radiation oncologist specializing in the treatment of breast cancer, prostate cancer, brain tumors, lung cancer, rectal cancer, head and neck cancer, and skin cancers. She has expertise in non-invasive radiosurgery and stereotactic body radiation therapy for brain and lung. She is passionate about quality of life and survivorship issues after cancer treatment. She has over two decades' experience caring for patients across Southern California.
A graduate of Yale, Dr. Tao received her medical degree at New York University School of Medicine. She completed her internship and residency at Harvard Medical School Joint Center for Radiation Therapy and also earned a master's degree in Health Services Research at UCLA. She is also the former co-director of UCLA's Pediatric Brain Tumor Program.
A dedicated researcher, Dr. Tao has run numerous clinical trials, consulted for the RAND Corporation and published dozens of journal articles. She is a sought-after expert and medical spokesperson, appearing frequently on panels, the podium and in media to discuss breast cancer treatment options.
- 2018-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, Valencia, CA
- 2016-present, Medical Director, Santa Clarita Radiation Oncology Center, Valencia, CA
- 2016-present, Co Medical Director, Radiation Oncology Pathways, US Oncology Network/McKesson Specialty Health
- 2010-present, Co-medical Director, The Center for Radiation Therapy of Beverly Hills, Beverly Hills, CA
- 2008-2010, Medical Director, Radiation Oncology, East Bay Partners in Cancer Care EPIC Care, Antioch, CA
- 2006-2007, Medical Director, Radiation Oncology, St. Joseph Hospital of Orange, Orange, CA
- 2000-2007, Radiation Oncologist, Director of Clinical Research and Outcomes, Valley Radiotherapy Associates Medical Group, Greater Los Angeles, CA
- 1999-2000, Co-director, UCLA Pediatric Brain Tumor Program, University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 1998-2000, Assistant Professor, Radiation Oncology and Pediatrics, University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 1997, M.S., Health Services Research, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA
- 1992, M.D., New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY
- 1988, B.S., Cum Laude, Biology, Yale College, New Haven, CT
- 1994-1998, Radiation Oncology, Joint Center for Radiation Therapy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 1992-1994, Pediatric Intern/Resident, Boston Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 1992, National Board of Medical Examiners
- 1998, 2008, American Board of Radiology (Radiation Oncology)
- Tao ML, Mautner BD, Ray EM, Huson HB, Sanghani MV, Llamas M, Botnick LE. Long-term community-based results of breast conserving therapy in early stage breast cancer. The Journal of Community and Supportive Oncology. 14 (6);249-54 (June 2016)
- Owen JB, Khalid N, Ho A, Kachnic LA, Komaki R, Tao ML, Currey A, Wilson JF. Can patient comorbidities be included in clinical performance measures for radiation oncology? J Oncol Pract. 10(3):e175-81 (May 2014)
- Rose DR, Tisnado DT, Tao ML, Malin JL, Adams JL, Ganz PA, Kahn KL Prevalence, Predictors and Patient Outcomes Associated with Physician Co-management: Findings from Los Angeles Women’s Health Study Health Serv Res, 47(3 Pt 1):1091-116. (Jun 2012)
- Rose D, Tisnado D, Malin J, Tao ML, Maggard M, Adams J, Ganz P, Kahn K. Use of Interpreters by Physicians Treating Limited English Proficient Women with Breast Cancer: Results from the Provider Survey of the Los Angeles Women’s Health Study, Health Serv Res, 45 (1): 172-94 (Feb 2010)
- Bower J, Ganz P, Tao ML, Hu W, Belin T, Sepah S, Cole S, Aziz N, Inflammatory Biomarkers and Fatigue during Radiation Therapy for Breast and Prostate Cancer, Clinical Cancer Research 15(17): 5534-5540 (Sept 1, 2008)
- Lee IH, Hayman JA, Landrum MB, Tepper J, Tao ML, Goodman KA, Keating NL. Treatment recommendations for locally advanced, non-small cell lung cancer: The influence of physician and patient factors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, (74L5):1376-84 (Aug 2009)
- Tisnado D, Ganz PA, Tao ML, Malin J, Timmer M, Adams JL, Ko C, Kahn KL. The Structural Landscape of the Health Care System for Breast Cancer: Results from a physician survey, The Breast Journal, 15(1): 17-25(Jan-Feb 2009)
- Chen JY, Malin J, Ganz PQ, Ko C, Tisnado D, Tao ML, Timmer M, Adams JL and Kahn KL. Variation in Physician-patient Discussion of Brest Reconstruction, J Gen Intern Med. 24(1):99-104(Jan 2009)
- West JG, Weizel JN, Tao ML, Carpenter M, West JE, Faning C, BRCA Mutatins and the Risk of Angiosarcoma After Breast Cancer Treatment. Clin Breast Cancer, 8(6):533-7 (Dec 2008)
- Chen J, Tao ML, Tisnado D, Malin J, Ko C, Timmer M, Adams JL, Ganz PA, Kahn KL. Impact of Physician-Patient Discussion on Patient Satisfaction, Med Care, 2008 Nov; 46(11):1157-62
- Yoon J, Malin J, Tao ML, Tisnado DM, Adams JL, Timmer MJ, Ganz PA, Kahn KL. Do Symptom management after breast cancer treatment: is it influenced by patient characteristics? Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008 Mar;108(1):69-77
- Yoon J. Malin J, Tao ML, Tisnado DM, Adams JL, Timmer MJ, Ganz PA, Kahn KL. Symptoms after breast cancer treatment: are they influenced by patient characteristics? Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008 Mar;108(2) :153-6
- McCloskey SA, Tao ML, Rose CM, Fink A, Amadeo A. National Survey of Perspectives of Palliative Radiation Therapy: Role, Barriers, and Needs. The Cancer Journal 13(2):130-7 (2007).
- McCloskey SA, Botnick LE, Rose CM, Malcolm AW, Ozohan ML, Mena R, Llamas L, Tao ML. Long-Term Outcomes after Breast Conservation Therapy for Early Stage Breast Cancer in a Community Setting. The Breast Journal, 12(2):138-44 (2006).
- Geyer JR, Sposto R, Jennings M, Boyett JM, Axtell RA, Breiger D, Broxson E, Donahue B, Finlay JL, Goldwein JW, Heier LA, Johnson D, Mazewski C, Miller DC, Packer R, Puccetti D, Radcliffe J, Tao ML, Shiminski-Maher T. Multiagent chemotherapy and deferred radiotherapy in infants with malignant brain tumors: a report from the Children's Cancer Group. J Clin Oncol 23(30):7621-31 (2005).
- Morris DE, Emami B, Mauch PM, Konski AA, Tao ML, Ng AK, Klein EA, Mohideen N, Hurwitz MD, Fraas BA, Roach M 3rd, Gore EM, Tepper JE. Evidence-based review of three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy for localized prostate cancer: an ASTRO outcomes initiative. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 62(1):3-19 (2005).
- McCloskey SA, Ellerbroek NA, McCarthy L, Malcolm AW, Tao ML, Wollman RC, Rose CM. Treatment outcomes of three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy for localized prostate carcinoma: a large community-based experience. Cancer 101(11):2693-700 (2004).
- Ellerbroek N, Martino S, Mautner B, Tao, ML, Rose C, Botnick L. Breast-conserving therapy with adjuvant paclitaxel and radiation therapy – Feasibility of concurrent treatment. The Breast Journal 9(2): 74-78 (2003).
- Galper SR, Lee SJ, Tao ML, Troyan S, Kaelin CM, Harris JR, Weeks JC. Patient preferences for axillary dissection in the management of early stage breast cancer. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 92(20):1681-7 (2000).
- Hayman JA, Lash KA, Tao ML, Halman MA. A comparison of two methods for estimating the technical costs of external beam radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 47(2):461-7 (2000).
- Tao ML, Guo MD, Weiss, R, Byrne J, Mills JL, Robison LL, Zeltzer LK. Smoking in Adult Survivors of Childhood Leukemia: A National Institutes of Health and Children’s Cancer Group Study. J Natl Cancer Instit 90(3), 219-25 (1998).
- Tao ML, Barnes PD, Billet AM, Leong T, Shrieve DC, Scott RM, Tarbell NJ. Childhood optic chiasm gliomas: Radiographic response after radiation therapy and long-term clinical outcome. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 39(3), 575-78 (1997).
- Hetelekidis S, Barnes PD, Tao ML, Fischer EG, Schneider L, Scott RM, Tarbell NJ. 20-Year Experience in Childhood Craniopharyngioma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 27, 189-195 (1993).
- Schneiderman AM, Tao ML, Wyman RJ. Duplication of the Escape-Response Neural Pathway by Mutation of the Bithorax-Complex. Developmental Biology 57, 455-473 (1993).
- 2010, Los Angeles Radiological Society
- 2008-2010, Northern California Radiation Oncology Society
- 1997-2007, Southern California Radiation Oncology Society
- 1999-present, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- 1999-present, American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology
- 1998-2008, Children’s Oncology Group, formerly Children’s Cancer Group
- 1998-2002, Radiological Society of North America
- 1998-2006, American College of Radiology
- 1997, American Society of Clinical Oncology Merit Award
- 1996, Von Meyer (Research) Award, Boston Children’s Hospital
- 1991, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society member