Nicholas M. Donin, M.D.
- Urologic Oncology
Other Languages Spoken
“City of Hope was an ideal home for me because...I like to be at the cutting edge of cancer research and treatment.”
A self-described “people person,” Nicholas M. Donin, M.D. sees the practice of medicine as the perfect combination of a lifelong interest in science and a strong desire to make a difference in people's lives. He derives great satisfaction from his interaction with patients, “explaining our thought processes and figuring out together how to best manage each patient's unique situation.”
Dr. Donin is a board-eligible surgeon specializing in urology and urologic oncology. After graduating from Harvard University he received his medical degree from Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City and completed his internship and residency at New York University's Langone Medical Center.
Dr. Donin joins City of Hope after serving a urologic oncology fellowship at UCLA's David Geffen School of Medicine. He's excited about the opportunity to engage in City of Hope's extensive research and clinical trials, at a time when the pace of new developments is accelerating, “with new and better care coming faster and faster.”
- 2017 - Current, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Surgery, Division of Urologic Oncology, City of Hope, Antelope Valley, CA
- 2006 - 2010, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, New York, NY, M.D.
- 1998 - 2002, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, B.A.
- 2015 - present, Society of Urologic Oncology Fellow, Department of Urology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- 2010 - 2015, Internship and Residency, New York University Langone Medical Center, Department of Urology, New York, NY
- A Preclinical Study of Sustained-Release Mitomycin C to the Upper Urinary Tract Using a Reverse Thermosensitive Polymer.Nicholas M. Donin, Sandra Duarte, Cristobal Torres, Anthony Smithson, Dalit Strauss-Ayali, Yael Agmon-Gerstein, Nadav
- Malchi, Jonathan Said, Andrew T. Lenis, Stuart Holden, Allan Pantuck, Arie S. Belldegrun, Karim ChamieA Phase 2 Study of TMX-101, Intravesical Imiquimod, for the Treatment of Carcinoma in Situ Bladder Cancer Nicholas M. Donin, Karim Chamie, Madhu Reddy, Dana Kivlin, Johanna Holldack, Rafaella Pozzi, Lawrence I. Karsh, Donald L. Lamm, Laurence H. Belkoff, Arie S. Belldegrun, Stuart Holden, Neal Shore. Manuscript under review.
- Body Mass Index and Survival in a Prospective Randomized Trial of Localized High Risk Renal Cell Carcinoma. Nicholas M. Donin, Allan Pantuck, Pia Klöpfer, Paul Bevan, Barbara Fall, Jonathan Said, Arie S. Belldegrun, Karim Chamie.Manuscript under review.
- Risk of Second Primary Malignancies Among Cancer Survivors in the United States, 1992-2008. Nicholas M. Donin, Christopher P. Filson, Alexandra Drakaki, Hung-Jui Tan, Alex Castillo, Lorna Kwan, Mark S. Litwin,Karim Chamie. Manuscript under review.
- Adjuvant girentuximab following nephrectomy for renal cell carcinoma: the phase III ARISER randomized clinical trial. Karim Chamie, Nicholas M. Donin, Pia Klopfer, Paul Bevan, Stephan Storkel, Jonathan Said, Barbara Fall, Allan J. Pantuck, Arie S. Belldegrun. Manuscript under review.
- Immunotherapy in the treatment of urothelial malignancies. Nicholas Donin, Andrew T. Lenis, Stuart Holden, Arie Belldegrun, Alexandra Drakaki, Allan Pantuck, Karim Chamie. Accepted for publication - Journal of Urology.
- Size-adjusted quantitative Gleason score as a predictor of biochemical recurrence after radical prostatectomy. Deng FM, Donin NM, Pe Benito R, Melamed J, Le Nobin J, Zhou M, Ma S, Wang J, Lepor H. Eur Urol. 2015 Oct 30.
- MRI features of renal cell carcinoma that predict favorable clinicopathologic outcomes. Doshi AM, Huang WC, Donin NM, Chandarana H. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2015 Apr;204(4):798-803
- Clinicopathologic outcomes of cystic renal cell carcinoma. Donin NM, Mohan S, Pham H, Chandarana H, Doshi A, Deng FM, Stifelman MD, Taneja SS, Huang WC. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2015 Feb;13(1):67-70
- Gleason 6 Prostate Cancer: Serious Malignancy or Toothless Lion? Lepor H, Donin NM. Oncology (Williston Park). 2014 Jan;28(1):16-22.
- Genetically-Adjusted PSA Values May Prevent Delayed Biopsies in African-American Men. Donin NM, Loeb S,Cooper PR, Roehl KA, Baumann NA, Catalona WJ, Helfand BT. BJU Int. 2014 Dec;114(6b):E50-5 Acrolein- and 4-Aminobiphenyl-DNA adducts in human bladder mucosa and tumor tissue and their mutagenicity in human urothelial cells. Lee HW, Wang HT, Weng MW, Hu Y, Chen WS, Chou D, Liu Y, Donin NM, Huang WC, Lepor H, Wu XR, Wang H, Beland FA, Tang MS. Oncotarget. 2014 May 7.
- Gleason 6 prostate cancer diagnosed in the PSA era do not metastasize suggesting a more appropriate designation of Gleason 6 disease instead of cancer. Donin NM, Laze J, Zhou M, Qinghu R, Lepor H. Urology. 2013 Jul;82(1):148-52.
- Partial Nephrectomy is the standard of care for T1a kidney tumors. Huang WC, Donin NM. Urol Oncol. 2013 Feb;31(2):140-3.
- Tumour diameter and decreased preoperative estimated glomerular filtration rate are independently correlated in patients with renal cell carcinoma. Donin NM, Suh LK, Barlow L, Hruby GW, Newhouse J, McKiernan J. BJU International. 2012 Feb; 109 (3): 379-83.
- Epigenetic-mediated dysfunction of the bone morphogenetic protein pathway inhibits differentiation of glioblastomainitiating cells. Lee J, Son MJ, Woolard K, Donin NM et al. Cancer Cell 2008;13:69-80.
- Tumor stem cells derived from glioblastomas cultured in bFGF and EGF more closely mirror the phenotype and genotype of primary tumors than do serum-cultured cell lines. Lee J, Kotliarova S, Kotliarov Y, Donin NM et al. Cancer Cell 2006;9:391-403.
- 2016 Recognized Reviewer – Urologic Oncology
- 2007 Arnold P. Gold Humanitarian Student Summer Service Fellowship
- 2003 Cancer Research Training Award Fellowship – NCI/NIH