Sean X. Zhang, Ph.D., M.S.
- Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology
- Sr. Physicist
Sean X. Zhang, Ph.D., M.S.
- Radiation Oncology
Areas of Expertise
- Radiation Oncology Physics
- Diagnostic Imaging Physics
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy
- Respiratory Management Radiation Therapy
- Breast Cancer Simulation/Treatment Planning
- Research Focus Nanoparticle Radiation Dose Enhancement
- Motion Management Radiation Therapy
Sean X. Zhang, Ph.D., M.S., is an associate clinical professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology. Double board‐certified in radiation oncology physics and diagnostic imaging physics, Dr. Zhang’s clinical and research interests include developing and implementing novel image guided radiation therapy techniques.
Dr. Zhang joined City of Hope in 2012 after working at University of Texas and MD Anderson Cancer Center for 15 years in direct patient care in radiation oncology. Dr. Zhang has received several external peer‐reviewed grants for his clinical and translational research as principal investigator and co‐investigator. He has published his work in many peer‐reviewed journals and has been invited to speak at national and international meetings. He also served as guest editor or reviewer on several prestigious scientific journals and holds a guest professor position at Tongji Medical University in China.
- 2012-present, Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2012-present, Sr. Physicist, Department of Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2009-2012, Associate Faculty Member, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX
- 2009-2012, Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Physics, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- 2003-2009, Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Physics, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- 2001-2003, Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- 2000-2001, Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
- 1998-2000, Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX
- M.S., Tongji University, Shanghai, China
- M.S., MS-Medical Physics, University of Missouri - Columbia, Columbia, MO
- Ph.D., Radiological Sciences – Therapeutic Radiation Physics, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX
- Wang X, Zhang X, Li X, Amos RA, Shaitelman SF, Hoffman K, Howell R, Salehpour M, Sun TL, Zhang SX, Smith B, Tereffe W, Perkins GH, Buchholz TA, Strom EA, Woodward WA. Accelerated partial-breast irradiation using intensity-modulated proton radiotherapy: do uncertainties outweigh potential benefits? British Journal of Radiology, 86(1029):2013176, 2013 Sept.
- Kim MM, Kudchadker RJ, Kanke JE, Zhang S, Perkins GH. Bolus electron conformal therapy for the treatment of recurrent inflammatory breast cancer: a case report. Medical Dosimetry, 37(2):208-13, 2012.
- Wang X, Pan T, Pinnix C, Zhang SX, Saehpour M, Sun TL, Gladish G, Strom EA, Perkins GH, Tereffe W, Woodward W, Hoffman KE, Buchholz TA, Yu TK. Cardia motion during deep-inspiration breath-hold: implications for breast cancer radiotherapy. Int J of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 82(2): 708-14, 2012 .Feb.
- Wang X, Amos RA, Zhang X, Taddei PJ, Woodward WA, Hoffman KE, Yu TK, Tereffe W, Oh J, Perkins GH, Salehpour M, Zhang SX, Sun TL, Gillin M, Buchholz TA, Strom EA. External-beam accelerated partial breast irradiation using multiple proton beam configurations. Int J of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 80(5): 1464-72, 2011 Aug.
- Zhang SX, Liengsawangwong P, Lindsay P, Karl P, Sun TL, Steadham, Wang X, Salehpour M, Gillin M. Clinical Implementation of Electron Energy Changes Varian Linear Accelerators. J of Applied Clinical Medical Physics. 10(4): 177-187, 2009.
- Zhang SX, Goa J, Buchholz TA, Wang Z, Salehpour MR, Drezek RA, Yu TK. Quantifying Tumor-Selective Radiation Dose Enhancements Using Gold Nanoparticles: a Monte Carlo Simulation Study. Biomedical Microdevices 11(4):925-933, 2009.
- Wang X, Yu T, Salehpour M, Zhang SX, Sun TL, Buchholz T. Breast Cancer Regional Radiation Fields for Supraclavicular and Axillary Lymph Nodes Treatment: Is a Posterior Axillary Boost Field Technique Optimal? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74(1):86-91, 2009.
- Waggener R, Bloug M, Terry J, Chen D , Lee N, Zhang X, McDavid W. X-ray spectra estimation using attenuation measurements from 25 kVp to 18 MV. Medical Physics 26(7):1269-78, 1999.
- Zhang X, Hevezi J, Marbach J, Salter B, Waggener R. Extraction of a 1 cm x 1 cm elementary beam from broad beam profiles for use in IMRT dose calculations. Medical Physics 24:1074, 1997.
- Zhang X, Wang J. An Analytical Study of a Simplified Method of Measuring Airborne Sound Insulation in Dwellings. Applied Acoustics 26:209-215, 1989.
- American Association of Medical Physicist, Member
- American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, Associate Member
- 1997, Young Investigator Award, AAPM Southwest Chapter
- 1985, Best Graduate Award, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China