Stacy W. Gray, M.D., A.M.
- Clinical Cancer Genomics
- Medical Oncology
- Understanding the factors that drive the use of novel and established cancer genomic tests and therapies
- Identifying gaps in lung cancer prevention, research and care
- Designing interventions to improve the delivery of cancer medicine
Stacy W. Gray, M.D., A.M., is an associate clinical professor with a primary appointment in the division of Clinical Cancer Genomics within the Department of Population Sciences and a secondary appointment in the Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research.
Dr. Gray earned her undergraduate degree from Brown University. She received both her master’s degree in public policy and her medical doctorate from the University of Chicago. She completed her internal medicine residency and hematology/oncology fellowship at the University of Chicago Hospitals.
During her clinical training, she was awarded an Irving B. Harris Fellowship. Subsequently, she completed a research fellowship at the NCI-funded Center of Excellence in Cancer Communication Research at the University of Pennsylvania’s Annenberg School for Communication.
She continued her research training through a second post-doctoral fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital, simultaneously joining Dana-Farber as a medical oncologist and cancer outcomes researcher in the division of Population Sciences and the Lowe Center for Thoracic Oncology.
Through her research, Dr. Gray is working to understand the factors that drive the use of novel and established cancer genomic tests and therapies, identify gaps in lung cancer prevention, research and care, and design interventions to improve the delivery of precision cancer medicine.
Dr. Gray serves on the ASCO Cancer Research Committee, holds multiple leadership roles in an NIH research consortium, and has presented her research both nationally and internationally. She has numerous peer-reviewed publications in such journals as The Journal of Clinical Oncology, The Journal of the National Cancer Institute, The Journal of Oncology Practice, and Genetics in Medicine.
Dr. Gray also has a strong track record of research funding and has been supported by The National Human Genome Research Institute, The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, The American Cancer Society, The American Society of Clinical Oncology, and The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- 2016 - present, Associate Clinical Professor, Division of Clinical Cancer Genetics, Department of Population Sciences and Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2012 - 2016, Assistant Professor, Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 2008 - 2016, Active Staff, Medical Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA
- 2008 - 2016, Associate Physician, Medicine/ Oncology, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2005, A.M., Public Policy, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 1999, M.D., Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 1994, A.B., History, Brown University, Providence, RI
- 2008-2010, Research Fellow, Program in Cancer Outcomes Research Training (Weeks), Institute for Technology Assessment, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2005-2007, Research Fellow, Cancer Communication Research (Hornik, Armstrong), Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2002-2005, Clinical Fellow, Hematology/Oncology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 1999-2002, Resident, Internal Medicine, The University of Chicago
- Abel, G, Cronin, A, Earles, K, and Gray, SW. Accessibility and quality of online cancer-related clinical trial information for naive searchers. Cancer Epidemiol, Biomarkers and Prev. 2015. Oct;24(10):1629-31.
- Shirts BH, Salama JS, Aronson SJ, Chung WK, Gray SW, Hindorff LA, Jarvik GP, Plon SE, Stoffel EM, Tarczy-Hornoch PZ, Van Allen EM, Weck KE, Chute CG, Freimuth RR, Grundmeier RW, Hartzler AL, Li R, Peissig PL, Peterson JF, Rasmussen LV, Starren JB, Williams MS, Overby CL. CSER and eMERGE: current and potential state of the display of genetic information in the electronic health record, J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2015 Jul 3.
- Kehl KL, Landrum MB, Kahn KK, Gray SW, Chen AB, Keating NL, Tumor board participation among physicians caring for patients with lung or colorectal cancer, J Oncol Pract. 2015 May;11(3):e267-78. Epub 2015 Apr 28.
- Gray SW, Cronin A, Bair S, Lindeman N, Viswanath V, Janeway KA, Marketing of personalized cancer care on the web: an analysis of Internet websites, J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015 Mar 5;107(5). Print 2015 May.
- Kehl KL, Gray SW, Kim B, Kahn KK, Haggstrom D, Roudier M, Keating NL, Oncologists’ experiences with drug shortages, J Oncol Pract. 2015 Mar;11(2):e154-62. Epub 2014 Dec 30.
- Van Allen EM, Wagle N, Stojanov P, Perrin DL, Cibulskis K, Marlow S, Jane-Valbuena J, Friedrich DC, Kryukov G, Carter SL, McKenna A, Sivachenko A, Rosenberg M, Kiezun A, Voet D, Lawrence M, Lichtenstein LT, Gentry JG, Huang FW, Fostel J, Farlow D, Barbie D, Gandhi L, Lander ES, Gray SW, Joffe S, Janne P, Garber J, MacConaill L, Lindeman N, Rollins B, Kantoff P, Fisher SA, Gabriel S, Getz G, and Garraway LA, Whole-exome sequencing and clinical interpretation of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tumor samples to guide precision cancer medicine, Nat Med. 2014 Jun;20 (6):682-8. Epub 2014 May 18.
- Jarvik GP, Amendola LM, Berg JS, Brothers K, Clayton EW, Chung W, Evans BJ, Evans JP, Fullerton SM, Gallego CJ, Garrison NA, Gray SW, Holm IA, Kullo IJ, Lehmann LS, McCarty C, Prows CA, Rehm HL, Sharp RR, Salama J, Sanderson S, Van Driest SL, Williams MS, Wolf SM, Wolf WA; eMERGE Act-ROR Committee and CERC Committee; CSER Act-ROR Working Group, Burke W, Return of genomic results to research participants: the floor, the ceiling, and choices in-between, Am J Hum Genet. 2014 Jun 5;94 (6):818-26. Epub 2014 May 8.
- Gray SW, Martins Y, Feuerman LZ, Bernhardt BA, Biesecker BB, Christensen KD, Joffe S, Rini C, Veenstra D, McGuire AL, Social and Behavioral Research in Genomic Sequencing- Approaches from the Clinical Sequencing Exploratory Research Consortium Outcomes and Measures Working Group, Genet Med. 2014 Oct;16(10):727-35. Epub 2014 Mar 13.
- Gray SW, Hicks-Courant K, Cronin A, Rollins BJ, Weeks JC, Physicians’ attitudes about multiplex tumor genomic testing, J Clin Oncol. 2014 May 1;32(13):1317-23. Epub 2014 Mar 24.
- Tan AS, Gibson L, Zafar HM, Gray SW, Hornik RC, Armstrong K., Associations between Cancer-Related Information Seeking and Receiving PET Imaging for Routine Cancer Surveillance--An Analysis of Longitudinal Survey Data. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2014 Feb 18.
- 2012, American Society of Human Genetics
- 2011, International Communication Association
- 2011, Society for Medical Decision Making
- 2010, American Society for Preventive Oncology
- 2006, Young Investigator Award, American Society for Clinical Oncology
- 2004, Merit Award, American Society for Clinical Oncology
- 2003, Iriving B. Harris Fellowship, The University of Chicago, Harris School of Public Policy
- 2003, Fellow Award, University of Chicago, Internal Medicine Residency
- 2002, Resident Award, University of Chicago, Internal Medicine Residency