Virginia Sun, R.N., Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor, Division of Nursing Research and Education, Department of Population Sciences
Virginia Sun, R.N., Ph.D.
- To develop and test interventions to improve patient-and family-centered care and surgical (lung cancer, GI cancers, colorectal cancer) outcomes
- 2015-Present - Program Member, Cancer Control and Population Sciences Program, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2014-Present - Content Expert, Oncology Nursing Society 2014-2018 Research Agenda
- 2011-Present - Assistant Professor, Department of Population Sciences, Division of Nursing Research and Education, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2010-2011 - Assistant Research Professor, Department of Population Sciences, Division of Nursing Research and Education, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2004-2010 - Senior Research Specialist, Department of Population Sciences, Division of Nursing Research and Education, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2002-2004 - Research Specialist, Division of Nursing Research and Education, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2010 - UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, Ph.D., Nursing
- 2002 - Yale University, New Haven, CT., M.S.N., Oncology NP
- 1995 - Emerson College, Boston, MA., B.S., Communication
October 15, 2018
November 09, 2017
Knobf, M. T., Cooley, M. E., Duffy, S., Doorenbos, A., Eaton, L., Given, B., Mayer DK, McCorkle R, Miaskowski C, Mitchell S, Sherwood P, Bender C, Cataldo J, Hershey D, Katapodi M, Menon U, Schumacher K, Sun, V., LoBiondo-Wood, G. (2015). The 2014-2018 Oncology Nursing Society Research Agenda. Oncology Nursing Forum, 42(5), 450-465. doi: 10.1188/15.ONF.450-465
Raz DJ, Sun V, Kim JY, Williams A, Koczywas M, Cristea M, Reckamp K, Hayter J, Tiep B, Ferrell B. Long-term effects of an interdisciplinary supportive care intervention for lung cancer survivors following surgery. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2015. In press.
Sun V, Kim JY, Irish T, Borneman T, Sidhu R, Klein L, Ferrell B. Palliative care and spiritual well-being in lung cancer patients and family caregivers. Psychooncology. 2015. In press.
Tiep B, Sun V, Koczywas M, Kim JY, Raz DJ, Hurria A, Hayter J. Pulmonary rehabilitation and palliative care for the lung cancer patient. Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing. 2015. In press. NIHMSID: NIHMS710943.
Ferrell B, Sun V, Hurria A, Cristea M, Raz DJ, Kim JY, Reckamp K, Williams AC, Borneman T, Uman G, Koczywas M. Interdisciplinary palliative care for patients with lung cancer. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2015. doi: 10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2015.07.005
Sun V, Olausson JM, Fujinami R, Chong C, Dunham R, Tittelfitz T, Greer K, Grant M. The role of the advanced practice nurse in survivorship care planning. Journal of the Advance Practitioner in Oncology. 2015; 6:64-70.
Sun V, Kim J, Kim JY, Raz, DJ, Merchant S, Chao J, Chung V, Jimenez T, Wittenberg E, Grant M, Ferrell B. Dietary alterations and restrictions following surgery for upper gastrointestinal cancers: Key components of a health-related quality of life intervention. European Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2015; 19(4): 343-348.
Sun V, Grant M, Wendel CS, McMullen CK, Bulkley JE, Altschuler A, Ramirez M, Baldwin CM, Herrinton LJ, Hornbrook MC, Krouse RSK. Dietary and behavioral adjustments to manage bowel dysfunction following surgery in long-term colorectal cancer survivors. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2015. doi: 10.1245/s10434-015-4731-9. NIHMSID: NIHMS 703697.
Sun V, Grant M, Fujinami R, Del Ferraro C, Borneman T, Koczywas M, Freeman B, Zachariah F, Uman G, Ferrell B. Effectiveness of an interdisciplinary palliative care intervention for family caregivers in lung cancer. Cancer. 2015. doi: 10.1002/cncr.29567. NIHMSID: NIHMS 703117.
Merchant, S. J., Ituarte, P. H., Choi, A., Sun, V., Chao, J., Lee, B., & Kim, J. Hospital Readmission Following Surgery for Gastric Cancer: Frequency, Timing, Etiologies, and Survival. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2015. doi: 10.1007/s11605-015-2883-3
Luyimbazi D, Nelson RA, Choi AH, Li L, Chao J, Sun V, Hamner JB, Kim J. Estimates of conditional survival in gastric cancer reveal a reduction of racial disparities with long-term follow-up. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2015;19(2):251-257.
Fujinami R, Sun V, Zachariah F, Uman G, Grant M, Ferrell B. Family caregivers' distress levels related to quality of life, burden, and preparedness. Psychooncology. 2015; 24(1): 54-62. PMCID: PMC4216636.
Sun V, Krouse RS. Palliative surgery: Incidence and outcomes. Seminars in Oncology Nursing. 2014; 30:234-241.
Sun V, Kim JY, Williams AC, Raz DJ, Sampath S, Ferrell B. Quality of life and symptoms following stereotactic body radiotherapy in early-stage lung cancer patients. Journal of Community and Supportive Oncology. 2014; 12(11): 407-414. PMCID: PMC4361026.
Sun V, Grant M, McMullen CK, Altschuler A, Mohler MJ, Hornbrook MC, Herrinton LJ, Krouse RS. From diagnosis through survivorship: health-care experiences of colorectal cancer survivors with ostomies. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2014; 22(6):1563-1570. PMCID: PMC4130212.
Sun V, Grant M, McMullen CK, Altschuler A, Mohler MJ, Hornbrook MC, Herrinton LJ, Baldwin CM, Krouse RS. Surviving colorectal cancer: long-term, persistent ostomy-specific concerns and adaptations. Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing. 2013; 40(1):61-72. PMCID: PMC3536890
Grant M, Sun V, Fujinami R, Sidhu R, Otis-Green S, Juarez G, Klein L, Ferrell B. Family caregiver burden, skills preparedness, and quality of life in non-small cell lung cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum. 2013;40(4):337-346. PMCID: PMC3695406.
Sun V, Borneman T, Koczywas M, Cristea M, Piper BF, Uman G, Ferrell B. Quality of life and barriers to symptom management in colon cancer. European Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2012;16(3):276-280. PMCID: PMC3223329
Gemmill R, Sun V, Ferrell B, Krouse RS, Grant M. Going With the Flow: Quality-of-Life Outcomes of Cancer Survivors With Urinary Diversion. Journal of Wound, Ostomy & Continence Nursing. 2010;37(1):65-72. PMCID: PMC3530426
Sun V, Sarna L. Symptom management in hepatocellular carcinoma. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2008, 12(5), 759-766. PMCID: PMC2881685.
Sun V, Ferrell B, Juarez G, Wagman LD, Yen Y, Chung V. Symptom concerns and quality of life in hepatobiliary cancers. Oncology Nursing Forum. 2008, 35(3), E45-52.
Sun V, Borneman T, Ferrell B, Koczywas M, Piper B. Barriers to pain assessment and management in cancer survivorship. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2008, 2: 65-71. PMCID: PMC2556887.
- 2014-Present, Member, Nursing Research Subcommittee, SWOG
- 2005, Member, National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Task Force for Cancer Survivorship Guidelines
- 2017, Up and Coming Medical Researchers