Mark C. Tan, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Breast Reconstruction
- Lymphedema Treatment
Areas of Expertise
- Breast Cancer
As a surgeon specializing in breast reconstruction, Mark Tan, M.D., is passionate about matching the right reconstructive procedure to each patient, for the best possible results. “There are no bad choices in terms of reconstruction if patients are selected carefully,” he says.
A graduate of Northwestern University Medical School, Dr. Tan joined City of Hope in 2006 after serving as a physician in private practice in Illinois and as a clinical specialist at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.
Dr. Tan also specializes in the treatment of lymphedema, a swelling that develops due to the abnormal collection of fluid beneath the skin, most commonly in an arm or leg. This can occur when lymph nodes are removed or damaged during cancer treatment.
“Our goal,” he says, “is to try to get patients to the point in their lives where they are no longer constantly reminded of their breast cancer diagnosis, their body image has been restored and they can get on with their lives.”
- 2006-present, Associate Clinical Professor, Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, California
- 2002-2006, Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery Associates, Hoffman Estates, Illinois
- 2001-2002, Clinical Specialist, Department of Plastic Surgery, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
- 1994, Doctor of Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Ill.
- 1990, B.A., Neurobiology, Northwestern University,Evanston, Illinois.
- 2001-2002, Microvascular Surgery, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
- 1999-2001, Plastic Surgery, SUMMA Health Systems, Akron, Ohio
- 1996-1999, Categorical General Surgery, New York Hospital Queens/Cornell University, Medical Center, Flushing, New York
- 1994-1996, Preliminary General Surgery, Rush Presbyterian St. Luke’s Medical Center/Cook County Hospital, Chicago, Illinois
- 2004, Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
- 2002 - , State of Illinois, Licensed Physician and Surgeon
- 2001 - , State of Texas, Licensed Physician and Surgeon
- 1999 - 2001, State of Ohio, Licensed Physician and Surgeon
- 1996 - 1999, State of New York, Licensed Physician and Surgeon
- 2008 to present - The American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery, Active Member
- 2002 to present - American Society of Plastic Surgery, Active Member
- 2013-2018, Pasadena Magazine Top Doctor
- 1990, Sarah Baskin Award for Excellence in Research, The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Illinois