John H. Yim, M.D.
- Associate Professor, Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery
- Surgical Oncologist
John H. Yim, M.D.
- Surgical Oncology
- Breast Surgery
- Endocrine Surgery
- Thyroid Cancer Surgery
- Endocrine Disorders
- Breast Cancer, Thyroid Cancer
Dr. Yim is a brilliant surgeon.” – Patient
John Hosei Yim, M.D., joined City of Hope in 2008 after eight years at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center where he developed a breast and endocrine surgery practice and maintained an active laboratory research program. His practice at City of Hope is focused on breast and endocrine diseases, as he continues his research studies through Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope.
Dr. Yim is developing new methods of molecular diagnosis for breast and thyroid nodules to see what treatments, including watchful waiting, are appropriate. He is pioneering the effort to treat cancer patients with baicalein, a natural product derived from a Chinese herb. Formulation of the baicalein are synthesized at City of Hope and clinical trial plans are under way.
A graduate of Yale University and Stanford University School of Medicine, Dr. Yim is praised by his patients for the time he spends educating each patient about their treatment options as well as his superior surgical skills. He's been named one of the America's Top Doctors by Castle Connolly, a Top Doctor in Pasadena magazine and a Southern California Super Doctor in Los Angeles magazine.
- 7/08 - present, Associate Professor, Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 6/00 - 6/08, Assistant Professor, University of Pittsburgh/UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA
- 1992, M.D., Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA
- 1986, BS, Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- 6/94-12/97, Research Fellow, Surgical Oncology Training Grant, Dr. Gerard M. Doherty, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, MO
- 12/97-6/00, Resident, General Surgery, Dr. Timothy J. Eberlein, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Saint Louis, MO
- 6/93-6/94, Resident, General Surgery,Dr. Samuel A. Wells, Jr., Barnes Hospital, Saint Louis, MO
- 6/92-6/93, Intern, General Surgery, Dr. Samuel A. Wells, Jr., Barnes Hospital, Saint Louis, MO
August 31, 2013
January 19, 2012
Information listed here is obtained from Pubmed, a public database; City of Hope is not responsible for its accuracy.
- American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
- Central Surgical Association
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- Southwestern Pennsylvania ACS
- Society of University Surgeons (SUS), Committee on Social and Legislative Issues
- Association for Academic Surgery, Program Committee
- Allegheny County Medical Society
- Pennsylvania Medical Society
- ACS Oncology Group (ACOSOG), Ethics, Endocrine Oncology Working Group
- Southern California ACS
- Los Angeles Surgical Society
- Associate Editor, BMC - Cancer
- American Heart Association Fellowship
- FAES Summer Student Fellowship
- Cum Laude, Yale University
- Stanford Medical Scholars Award, Stanford University School of Medicine
- James Ewing Foundation Trainee Award,Society of Surgical Oncology
- Samuel A. Wells, Jr. Resident Research Award, Washington University Department of Surgery
- Aspen Cancer Conference Young Investigator Fellowship
- SUS Foundation Junior Faculty Award Finalist
- ASCI/AAP Joint Meeting Travel Award
- Marquis Who’s Who in America
- Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors, Inc.
- America’s Top Surgeons, Consumers’ Research Council of America
- Pasadena Magazine Top Doctor
- Southern California Super Doctor (Los Angeles Magazine)