Poornima Rao, M.D.
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery
- Surgical Oncologist
Poornima Rao, M.D.
- Surgical Oncology
“Absolutely one of the finest surgeons... I am alive today because of Dr. Rao.” - Patient
Researcher, instructor and board-certified surgeon Poornima Rao, M.D. is a key member of City of Hope's team in South Pasadena where she's served since 2010.
After receiving her medical degree at New York Medical College, Dr. Rao spent eight years at the renowned Cleveland Clinic, rising to Chief Resident while simultaneously working as an anatomy instructor at the Clinic's Lerner College of Medicine.
The much-published Dr. Rao has a keen interest in the role of T-cells and adoptive immunotherapy in the treatment of cancer, an area she has studied and written about for more than a decade.
- 2010 - Present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2011 - Present, Clinical Instructor, General Surgery Residency Program Teaching Faculty, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, CA
- 2008 - 2010, Clinical Instructor, Department of General Surgery, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- 2004 - 2008, Clinical Instructor - Anatomy, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Cleveland, OH
- 1996 - 2000, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY
- 1991 - 1995, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, B.A. (Biology), B.A. (Philosophy),
- 2008-2010, Clinical Fellow - Surgical Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA
- 2002-2005, Research Fellow - Center for Cancer Drug Discovery and Development, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- 2007-2008, Chief Resident - General Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- 2005-2007, Resident - General Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- 2001-2002, Resident - General Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- 2000-2001, Intern - General Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- 2008, American Board of Surgery
- 2003-2005, Susan G. Komen Foundation Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- 2002-2005, Crile Research Fellowship, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- 2004, John P. Minton Award Winner (Ohio Chapter ACS), Best Cancer Paper
- 2004, Cleveland Surgical Society Resident Research Forum (Second Place), Basic Science
- 2002-2003, Research Programs Council Grant, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- 1995, New York Medical College Summer Research Scholarship
- 1992-1995, University of Pennsylvania Women's Intercollegiate Crew, Varsity Letter