Eat, Move, Live!
The Eat, Move, Live! program (EML) is a community-based nutrition and physical activity program for obesity and cancer risk reduction. The healthy lifestyle and chronic disease risk reduction intervention was conducted with 228 adults and 125 children with a documented positive effect on eating and physical activity knowledge, awareness and behaviors.
EML is implemented in collaboration with the City of Duarte and the Duarte School District as well as local markets.
- The program consists of weekly class sessions designed to promote healthy lifestyle changes including nutrition and physical activity.
- The goal of the program is cancer and chronic disease prevention through lifestyle, nutrition and physical activity
- The approach is a solution focused, culturally and socioecologically informed education and demonstration community participatory intervention.
- Target population: City of Duarte residents, School age children and parents, Latino community
Goals of Program
- To educate the community about the connection between nutrition, physical activity (PA) and chronic disease.
- Expand healthy food preparation skills to reduce calorie intake.
- Increase the consumption of vegetables and fruits.
- Reduce fat intake.
- To increase daily physical activity.
Participants Learn About
- Nutrition/Reading food labels
- Recommended portion sizes
- Recipes that are healthy but culturally relevant
- Shopping at the supermarket
- How to eat healthy on a budget
- 5 week program
- 2 hours each session, once a week (am or pm)
- Different activities and subjects are assigned to each session.
- First lesson
- nutritional guidelines
- food pyramid
- nutrition labels
- Food demonstration
- Physical Activity (salsa, yoga, resistance
- In March of 2014, we're offering another nutrition program!
- Slots fill quickly, so sign up now!
- Send us an email to get started!
Summer Health Camp
- 1 week program
- 5 days a week, 5 hours a day (9:00 am - 2:00 pm)
- Different activities/ subjects are assigned to each session.
- Food demonstration: child-friendly recipes that needed very low parental supervision.
- Physical Activity (Zumba, Hip hop, Polynesian, Folklorico, etc.)
Interested in signing your children up? Signups begin in June each year. For more information, send us an email!
Resources for Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Recipes from the White House!
- 2013 Healthy Lunchtime Challenge Cookbook: Meet the young chefs and their winning recipes from all over the United States!
- Easy ways to cook healthy meals with Champions for Change! [Recetas también en español]
- Fun recipes from the California Department of Public Health for Cooking with Kids! [Recetas también en español]
- The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute has authored a Family Cookbook, as well as Heart Healthy Home Cooking, African-American Style! Additionally, they have published a bilingual book on Heart Healthy Latino Recipes! [Disponible también en español]
- Pictorial Recipes, from Oregon State University! [Disponible también en español]
- Tips on how to be more physically active, from Champions for Change. [Consejos sobre cómo estar más activo, de Campeones del Cambio.]
- Handbook on Yoga, "Shape of Yoga" -- download it here .
- The City of Duarte has an excellent Parks and Recreation department with a great fitness center and recreation classes for all ages!
- Check out various exercises you can do with an exercise band!
- New to exercising? Get started with some inspiration from The Fat Chick--fun workouts for every-body and body type!