Mass Spectrometry & Proteomics
The Mass Spectrometry and Proteomics Core provides high-quality mass analysis of biomolecules – proteins, glycoproteins, peptides, oligonucleotides, nucleic acids, lipids and small-molecule metabolites – for a variety of biomedical investigations. The facility offers supporting techniques as well as scientific consultation.
Notable capabilities of our facility include:
- Purified proteins and protein complexes (isolated by affinity chromatography) can be rapidly identified by fully-automated liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS) analyses combined with our protein database search capabilities.
- Relative protein expression levels can be determined for lysates of whole cells or subcellular organelles as well as paraffin embedded tissue sections.
- Absolute levels of specific peptide or small molecule components in complex biological samples can be determined (with appropriate stable isotope-labeled standards) via UHPLC separation and MS/MS analysis.
- High-resolution mass spectrometry using electrospray ionization (ESI) provides highly accurate determination of small molecule elemental composition.
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis of small molecules by LCMS/MS including Metabolomic and Lipidomic profiling.
- High Resolution MS and MSn
- High-resolution mass spectrometry of small molecules and peptides, and complete sequence confirmation for synthetic peptides, can be carried out under GMP conditions. The site is FDA registered. All GMP work requires Quality and Service Agreements PRIOR to analysis. Please contact the facility manager for information regarding agreements.