Sameer Hassamal, M.D.
- Addiction Psychiatry
Sameer Hassamal, M.D., is an Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Supportive Care, Division of Psychiatry. Dr. Hassamal comes to us from UCLA-Kern, where he was in the Department of Addiction Psychiatry.
He holds a medical degree from the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine in St. Maarten, and an undergraduate degree in Biology from the University of California, Irvine. He completed a fellowship in Addiction Psychiatry at UCLA-Kern, and his residency in Adult Psychiatry at VCU Medical Center in Richmond, VA.
He is board certified in in Addiction Psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. Dr. Hassamal is currently co-investigator of two research trials, one in collaboration with Vanderbilt Medical Center/Kern Medical, and the other with Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the California Society of Addiction Medicine, The American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, and the American Psychiatric Association.
- 2018-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Division of Psychiatry, Department of Supportive Care Medicine, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2016-2017, Administrative Consultant, Substance Abuse Prevention, Los Angeles County
- 2016-2017, Reviewer of Medi-Cal Treatment Authorization Requests, Kern County
- 2016-2017, Director of Consultation and Liaison Psychiatry, Kern Medical 2016, Inpatient Moonlighting Psychiatrist at Kaweah Delta Medical Center
- 2010, M.D., American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, St. Maarten
- 2006, B.S., Biology, University of California, Irvine, CA
- 2015-2016, Addiction Psychiatry, ULCA-Kern
- 2012-2015, Adult Psychiatry, VCU Medical Center
- 2011-2012, Psychiatry, VCU Medical Center
- 2015, Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- 2016, Certification in the Subspecialty of Addiction Psychiatry
- Cohen CI, Hassamal SK, Begum N. General coping strategies and their impact on quality of life in older adults with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2011. 127(1-3): p. 223-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.schres.2010.12.023
- Hassamal S, Pandurangi A, Venkatachalam V, Levenson J. Delayed Onset and Prolonged ECT-Related Delirium. Case reports in psychiatry. 2013. DOI: 10.1155/2013/840425
- Hassamal S, Fernandez A, Rekabdarkolaee H, Pandurangi A. QTc prolongation veterans with heroin dependence on methadone maintenance treatment. International Journal of High Risk Behaviors and Addiction. 2015. DOI: 10.5812/ijhrba.4(2)2015.23819
- Shin S, Hassamal S, Peasley, L. Examining the Role of Psychological Distress in Linking Childhood Maltreatment and Alcohol Use in Young Adulthood. American Journal of Addictions. American Journal of Addictions. 2015. DOI: 10.1111/ajad.12276
- Hassamal S, Reese K, Waller S, Testa, C. Reversible valproic acid induced Parkinsonism and cognitive impairment in an elderly patient with Bipolar Disorder I. Turkish Journal of Psychiatry. 2015. DOI: 10.5080/u12251
- Hassamal S, Keyser-Marcus L, Crouse-Breden E, Pandurangi A. A brief analysis of suicide methods and trends in Virginia from 2003-2012. BioMed Research International. 2015. DOI: 10.1155/2015/104036
- Hassamal S, Spivey M, Pandurangi A. Augmentation Therapy with Serial Intravenous Ketamine over 18-Months in a patient with Treatment Resistant Depression. Clinical Neuropharmacology. 2015. DOI:10.1097/WNF.0000000000000104
- Hassamal S, Jolles P, Pandurangi A. Reversal of Cerebral Glucose Hypometabolism on Positron Emission Tomography with Electroconvulsive Therapy in an Elderly Patient with a Psychotic episode. Psychogeriatrics. 2015. DOI: 10.1111/psyg.12174
- Hassamal S, Goldenberg M, IsHak WW, Haglund M, Miotto K, Danovitch I. Overcoming Barriers to Initiating Medication Assisted Treatment for Heroin Use Disorder in a General Medical Hospital: a case report and narrative literature review. Accepted to the Journal of Psychiatric Practice on March 17, 2016 [In Press].
- Goldenberg M, Hassamal S, IsHak WW, Miotto K, Haglund M, Danovitch I. A Call To Action: Psychiatry's Role in Managing the Growing Epidemic of Self-Medication with Drugs Acquired via the Internet. Accepted to the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry on March 14, 2016 [In Press].
- Hassamal S, Haglund M, Wittnebel K, Danovitch I. A preoperative interdisciplinary opioid reduction program in patients on chronic opioid analgesia prior to spine surgery: a review of 5 cases. Scandinavian Journal of Pain.2016. http://dx.DOI.org/10.1016/j.sjpain.2016.06.007
- Hassamal S, Wang T, Miotto K, Saxon A. A critical review: The effects of opioids on sleep disordered breathing in chronic pain patients and methadone maintained patients. The American Journal on Addictions. 2016. DOI: 10.1111/ajad.12424
- Hassamal S, Trutia A, Dalkilic A, Pandurangi A. A pilot study of Body Image Perceptions, and Attitudes Toward Obesity in hospitalized psychotic and non-psychotic patients. Asian Journal of Psychiatry. DOI: 10.1016/j.ajp.2016.12.014
- Mosher H, Herzig SJ, Danovitch I, Boutsicaris C, Hassamal S, Wittnebel K, Dashti A, Nuckols T. The Evaluation of Medical Inpatients Who Are Admitted on Long-term Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain. J Hosp Med. 2017 Dec 6. DOI: 10.12788/jhm.2889
- Hassamal S, Miotto K, Dale W, Danovitch I. Tramadol: Understanding the Risk of Serotonin Syndrome and Seizures. Am J Med. 2018 May 9. pii: S0002-9343(18)30402-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2018.04.025
- Rahmani M, Abdullah C, Chandra P, Hassamal S, Cohen C. Potential use of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) on cognitive functioning in patients with Alzheimer’s disease (abstract). American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 19(3) (suppl 1) S70, 2011.
- Hassamal S, Ramesh D, Moeller FG. Resilience and Opiate Misuse. In The neurobiology of addiction (Eds). New York: Oxford University Press. 2015.
- Hassamal S, Ramesh D, Moeller FG. Pyromania. In Kaplan & Sadock’s Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, Tenth Edition (Eds). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015.
- Hassamal S, Ramesh D, Moeller FG. Kleptomania. In Kaplan & Sadock’s Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, Tenth Edition (Eds). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015.
- Ramesh D, Hassamal S, Moeller FG. Intermittent Explosive Disorder. In Kaplan & Sadock’s Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, Tenth Edition (Eds). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015.
- California Society of Addiction Medicine, member since 2015
- The American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, member since 2015
- American Society of Addiction Medicine, member since 2015
- American Psychiatric Association, member since 2012
- Psychiatric Society of Virginia, member since 2011
- American Medical Association, member since 2011
- Medical Society of Virginia, member since 2011