Sara Capatanos, M.D.
- Medical Oncology
Areas of Expertise
Other Languages Spoken
I wanted to do something with my life that would help people and make an impact.
Sara Capatanos, M.D., is excited to join the City of Hope team in Simi Valley, a community she's served since 2013.
Even before medical school, Sara Capatanos, M.D., was involved in cancer research. She spent a year completing an exchange program in Germany, where she studied methods to deprive tumors of their blood supply.
Along with her passion for research, especially in the area of immunotherapy, Dr. Capatanos is devoted to caring wholeheartedly for her patients. Top-rated on every major ratings site, she earns plaudits like this one: “Dr. Capatanos listened to me, believed me, involved me in all decisions regarding how to move forward, and I believe increased my chances of survival.”
A graduate of Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dr. Capatanos earned her medical degree at Drexel University in Philadelphia, served an internship at Scripps Mercy Hospital in San Diego and completed a hematology/oncology fellowship at Georgetown University.
- 2019-Present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2013-2019, Adventist Health: Staff Hematologist Oncologist, Medical Director of Laboratory, Simi Valley, CA
- 2009-2010, Assistant Professor of Medicine, United States Department of Veterans Affairs: UCSD, San Diego, CA
- 2001-2002, Student Researcher, Dr. Jonathan Sleeman, Karlsruhe Forschungszentrum/MIT Germany Program, Karlsruhe, Germany
- 2006, Doctor of Medicine, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- 2001, Bachelor of Science Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- 2010-2013, Hematology Oncology Fellowship, Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC
- 2006-2009, Internal Medicine Residency, Scripps Mercy Hospital, San Diego, CA
- 2013, Board Certified Hematology
- 2013, Board Certified Oncology
- 2009, Board Certified Internal Medicine
Capatanos S, Shenoy AG. Hematologic Disorders in Pregnancy. Baliga RR (ed). Textbook of Internal Medicine--An Intensive Board Review with 1000 MCQs. Blendon-Miller, 2013 (in press)
The Hematology Fellows Consortium, October 2011, Therapeutic Effects of Vincristine in Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura, Charleston, SC
American College of Physicians Annual Southern California Regional Scientific Meeting, October 2007, Intriguing Hypopituitarism in an Osteoporotic Male, Dr. Sara Etemadi, Dr. Ada Wolfsen Palm Springs, CA
- 2018, Adventist Health Physician Leadership Award, Dana Point, CA
- 2011-2012, National Institutes of Health Clinical Center Course: Introduction to the Principles and Practice of Clinical Research
- 2009, Excellence in Teaching award, UCSD, San Diego, CA
- 2007-2008, Scripps Mercy Style of Care Bravo Award