Sayeh Lavasani, M.D., M.S.
- Medical Oncology
Areas of Expertise
- Breast Cancer
- Treatment for HER2-positive breast cancer
Other Languages Spoken
My junior kindergarten teacher asked me, 'What do you want to be when you grow up?' I said: 'A doctor!'"
Growing up in Iran, Sayeh Lavasani, M.D. always knew she wanted to be a doctor, like so many members of her family (“Being a physician was natural to me,” she says.)
A top student, she excelled at Iran University of Medical Sciences in Tehran, then moved to Ontario, Canada to continue her training at University of Toronto, Queen’s University in Kingston, and McMaster University.
Dr. Lavasani specializes in treating HER2-positive breast cancer and has done extensive research in the field, publishing numerous papers and conducting multiple clinical trials.
Dr. Lavasani is excited about the many new treatment options available for HER2-positive breast cancer. Enabling her patients to defeat cancer and live healthy lives is something she finds especially rewarding. She feels honored to be part of the City of Hope team where “I can offer my patients the novel treatments and a chance to enroll in clinical trials which can help both patients and science.'
- 2018-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2016-2018, Breast Medical Oncologist, Memorial Cancer Institute, Memorial Health Care System, Hollywood, FL
- 2011-2016, Assistant Professor of Oncology, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- 1992, M.D., Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
- 2010, M.Sc., Clinical Epidemiology and Health Care Research, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2007-2009, Medical Oncology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- 2009-2010, Breast Cancer, Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Center, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2004-2007, Internal Medicine, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- American Board of Medical Oncology
- Royal College of Physicians of Canada Certification Exam for Medical Oncology
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Royal College of Physicians of Canada Certification Exam for Internal Medicine
- ASCO Daily News, Clinical Corner: Duration of Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Early-Stage Breast Cancer. June 2018
- Brasky T, Krok-Schoen J, Liu J, Chlebowski R, Freudenheim J, Lavasani S, Margolis K, Qi L, Reding K, Shields P, Simon M, Wactawski-Wende J, Wang A, Womack C, Manson J. Use of Calcium Channel Blockers and Breast Cancer Risk in the Women’s Health Initiative. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers& Prevention 2017, 26(8):1345-1348
- Liang X, Luo J, Chen Q, Margolis K, Hendryx M, Reeves K, Wassertheil-Smoller S, Weitlauf J, Danhauer S, Chlebowski R, Cann B, Qi L, Lane D, Lavasani S, Luo J. Effect of Depression before Breast Cancer Diagnosis on Mortality among Postmenopausal Women. Cancer 2017, 123(16):3107-3115
- Breast Cancer Awareness. Memorial Physician Group monthly newsletter
- Cancer Survivorship Planning. Memorial Cancer Institute Monthly Newspaper
- Lavasani S, Mahinbakht A, Shields A. Chapter 2: Clinical Trials of Therapy Handbook for Clinical Trials of Imaging and Image-Guided Interventions.
- Griffin T, Makambi K, Howard BV, Sarto GE, Lane DS, Lavasani S, Lessin L, Adams-Campbell LL. Validation of the National Cancer Institute’s Colorectal Cancer Risk Assessment Tool Among African-American and White Women in the Women’s Health Initiative Study. Publication pending
- Lavasani S, Chlebowski RT, Prentice R, Kato I, Wactawski-Wende J, Johnson K, Young A, Hubbell FA, Mahinbakht A, Simon MS. Estrogen and Colorectal Cancer Incidence and Mortality. Cancer 2015 Sep 2;121(18):3261-71
- Arun MP, Desai P, Lehman A, Kwan ML, Manson JE, Lavasani S, Wasswertheil-Smoller S, Sarto GE, LeBoff MS, Cauley J, Cote ML, Beebe-Dimmer J, Jay A, Chlebowski RT, Simon MS. Statins and Breast Cancer Stage and Mortality in the Women's Health Initiative Cohort. Cancer Causes and Control 2015, 26 (4):529-539
- Zhao, S, Chlebowski, R, Anderson G, Kuller L, Manson J, Gass M, Patterson R, Rohan T, Lane D, Beresford S, Lavasani, S, Rossouw J, Prentice R. Sex Hormone Associations with Breast Cancer Risk and the Mediation of Randomized Trial Postmenopausal Hormone Therapy Effects. Breast Cancer Research 2014, 16(2):R30
- Zhou Y, Chlebowski R, LaMonte M, Bea J, Qi L, Wallace R, Lavasani S, Walsh B, Anderson G, Vitolins M, Sarto G, Irwin ML. BMI, Physical activity, and mortality in women diagnosed with ovarian cancer: results from the Women’s Health Initiative. Gynecology Oncology 2014, 133(1):4-10.
- Mahinbakht, A, Lavasani, S, Guirguis, M. The Quality of Reporting Harm Data in Clinical Trials of Adjuvant Trastuzumab in Early Stage Breast Cancer Treatment. Therapeutic Innovation & Regulatory Science 2013; 48 (3):299-304
- Verma S, Lavasani S, Mackey J, Pritchard K, Clemons M, Dent S, Latreille J, Lemieux J, Provencher L, Verma Sh, Chia S, Wang B, Rayson D. Optimizing the Management of HER2-Positive Early Breast Cancer: The Clinical Reality. Current Oncology 2010, 17(4):20-33
- Lavasani, SM, et al. Continuity Rate of IUD Use in Referrals to Shahre-Ray Health-Medical Centers Nabz Journal of Medicine 1993, 4(2):25-31
- 2016, Memorial Cancer Institute Guardian of Excellence Award
- 2015, Best Teacher Award by hematology/oncology fellows at Wayne State University/Karmanos Cancer Institute
- 2010, ASCO Merit Award