Wei-Hsien (Tommy) Hou, M.D., Ph.D.
- Radiation Oncology
Other Languages Spoken
Wei-Hsien (Tommy) Hou, M.D., is a “home-grown” product of City of Hope, having spent four years here as a radiation oncology resident. His training gave him firsthand experience in the unique way City of Hope “combines leading cancer therapy and research with compassionate care.”
Dr. Hou has excelled in both research and clinical work since his college days. He earned an undergraduate degree in biomedical engineering at Johns Hopkins University, then went on to St. Louis School of Medicine where he received his medical degree as well as a Ph.D. in biochemistry and molecular biology.
Dr. Hou enjoys interacting with his patients and is always looking for ways to improve their quality of life. His research centers on leveraging advanced technology to reduce the toxicity of radiation treatment.
- 2018-present, Radiation Oncologist and Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, Antelope Valley, CA
- 2012, M.D., Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
- 2009, Ph.D., Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
- 2003, B.S., Biomedical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- 2017-2018, Chief Resident, Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, California
- 2014-2017, Resident, Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, California
- 2012-2013, Internal Medicine, Saint Louis University Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri
Hou WH, Schultheiss TE, Wong JY, Wakabayashi MT, Chen YJ. “Surgery versus Radiation Treatment for High-Grade Neuroendocrine Cancer of Uterine Cervix.” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer (under review)
Hou WH, Yu X. “Poly-ADP ribosylation in DNA damage response and cancer therapy.” Mutation Research – Reviews (under review)
Hou WH, Huang CY, Wang CC, Lan KH, Chen CH, Yu HJ, Liu SP, Lai MK, Pu YS, Cheng JC. (2016) “Impact of Androgen-deprivation Therapy on the Outcome of Dose-escalation Prostate Cancer Radiotherapy without Elective Pelvic Irradiation.” Asian Journal of Andrology, DOIi: 10.4103/1008-682X.183569. [Epub ahead of print], PMID: 27506334.
Hou WH, Wang CW, Tsai CL, Hsu FM, Cheng JC. (2016) “The Ratio of Weight Loss to Planning Target Volume Significantly Impacts Setup Errors in Nasopharyngeal Cancer Patients Undergoing Helical Tomotherapy with Daily MVCT.” Radiology and Oncology, 50(4):427-432, PMID: 27904451.
Hsu FM, Hou WH, Huang CY, Wang CC, Tsai CL, Tsai YC, Yu HJ, Pu YS, Cheng JC. (2016) “Differences in Toxicity and Outcome Associated with Circadian Variations between Patients Undergoing Daytime and Evening Radiotherapy for Prostate Adenocarcinoma.” Chronobiology International, 33(2):210-9, PMID: 26818960.
Wang YJ, Huang CY, Hou WH, Wang CC, Lan KH, Yu HJ, Lai MK, Liu SP, Pu YS, Cheng JC. (2016) “Dual-timing PSA as a biomarker for patients with salvage intensity modulated radiation therapy for biochemical failure after radical prostatectomy.” Oncotarget, 7(28):44224-44235, PMID: 27317764.
Wang YJ, Huang CY, Hou WH, Wang CC, Lan KH, Yu HJ, Lai MK, Liu SP, Pu YS, Cheng JC. (2015) “The outcome and prognostic factors for lymph node recurrence after node-sparing definitive external beam radiotherapy for localized prostate cancer.” World Journal of Surgical Oncology, 13:312, PMID: 26545980.
Huang SS, Chen CL, Huang FW, Hou WH, Huang JS. (2015) “DMSO Enhances TGF-β Activity by Recruiting the Type II TGF-β Receptor from Intracellular Vesicles to the Plasma Membrane.” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, 9999:1-12, PMID: 26587792.
Zhu M, Bharat S, Michalski JM, Gay HA, Hou WH, Parikh PJ. (2013) “Adaptive Radiation Therapy for postprostatectomy patients using real-time electromagnetic target motion tracking during external beam radiation therapy.” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, 85(4):1038–1044, PMID: 23021439.
Hou WH, Daly ME, Lee NY, Farwell G, Luu Q, Chen AM. (2012) Racial Disparities in the Use of Voice-Preservation Therapy for Locally Advanced Laryngeal Cancer. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, 138(7):644-649. PMID: 22801888.
Hou WH, Liu IH, Huang SS, Huang JS. (2012) “CRSBP-1 Ligands Induce Contraction of the ER Network in Lymphatic Endothelial Cells.” FEBS Letter, 586(10):1480-1487, PMID: 22673514.
Hou WH, Liu IH, Tsai CC, Johnson FE, Huang SS, and Huang JS. (2011) “CRSBP-1/LYVE-1 Ligands Disrupt Lymphatic Intercellular Adhesion by Inducing Tyrosine Phosphorylation and Internalization of VE-cadherin.” Journal of Cell Science. 124(8):1231-1244, PMID: 21444752.
Chen CL, Hou WH, Liu IH, Hsiao G, Huang SS, Huang JS. (2009) Inhibitors of Clathrin-dependent Endocytosis Enhance TGF-beta Signaling and Responses. Journal of Cell Science. 2009 Jun; 122(11):1863-1871, PMID: 19461075.
Sprague R, Bowles E, Stumpf M, Ricketts G, Freidman A, Hou WH, Stephenson A. Lonigro A. (2005) “Rabbit Erythrocytes Possess Adenylyl Cyclase Type II that is Activated by the Heterotrimeric G Proteins Gs and Gi.” Pharmacological Reports. 57(Suppl):222-228, PMID: 16415502.
Liu YH, Wu HC, Lin HM, Hou WH, Lu KL. (2003) “Crystal Engineering toward Intersecting Channel in a Interpenetrated Diamondoid network based on a net-to- net H-bonding Interaction.” Chemical Communication. 7(1):60-61, PMID: 12610965.
- 2017, Graduate Medical Education & Clinical Training Resident/Fellow Travel Award, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2016, Graduate Medical Education & Clinical Training Resident/Fellow Travel Award, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2012, Wendell Griffith Award in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine (St. Louis, MO)
- 2011, The NCI R13 Trainee/Donald L. Morton Cancer Research Trainee Award winner (highest score) in the 4th International Symposium on Cancer Metastasis and the Lymphovascular System