Weili Sun, M.D., Ph.D.
- Associate Clinical Professor
- Director of Pediatric Leukemia
Weili Sun, M.D., Ph.D.
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
- Pediatric leukemia and lymphoma
- Early phase clinical trial in pediatric leukemia and lymphoma
Weili Sun, M.D., Ph.D., is an associate clinical professor in the department of pediatrics. She also serves as Director of Pediatric leukemia. Double board-certified in pediatrics and pediatric hematology/oncology, Dr. Sun’s clinical and research interests include developing novel therapeutic agents to treat children, adolescent, and young adults with newly diagnosed and relapsed leukemia and lymphoma.
Dr. Sun joined City of Hope in 2016 from Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA), Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California. While at CHLA, she was a member of the scientific review committee of the Therapeutic Advances in Childhood Leukemia & Lymphoma (TACL) Consortium, a multi-institutional scientific consortium focusing on early phase clinical trials in pediatric leukemia and lymphoma. She was the study chair of several multi-institution TACL clinical studies, including a phase I study using azacitidine in combination with chemotherapy to treat childhood relapsed acute leukemia. In addition, she is the study committee member of the Children’s Oncology Group’s phase III study to treat children with newly diagnosed APL. Dr. Sun has received multiple external peer-reviewed grants for her clinical and translational research work. She has published her work in many peer-reviewed journal and has been invited to speak at national and international meetings.
- 2016-present, Associate Clinical Professor, Director, Pediatric Leukemia, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA.
- 2011-2016, Assistant professor, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, Pediatrics, Los Angeles, CA.
- 2004, University of Tennessee, Health Science Center, St. Jude Children’s Hospital, Memphis, TN, Ph.D.
- 1995, Sun Yat-Sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou, China, M.D.
- 2008-2011, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, New York, NY
- 2007-2008, Montefiore Medical Center, Pediatrics, Bronx, NY
- 2006-2007, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, Pediatrics, Baltimore, MD
- 2005-2006, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, Pediatrics, Baltimore, MD
- 2008, American Board of Pediatrics
- 2013, Pediatric Hematology Oncology
May 08, 2017
May 08, 2017
December 21, 2016
December 11, 2015
December 02, 2014
January 11, 2014
- Lin Li, Xiaotian Qi, Weili Sun, Hisham Abdel-Azim, Siyue Lou, Hong Zhu, Nemani V Prasadarao, Alice Zhou, Hiroyuki Shimada, Koichi Shudo, Yong-Mi Kim, Sajad Khazal, Qiaojun He, David Warburton, and Lingtao Wu (2016), Am80-GCSF synergizes myeloid expansion and differentiation to generate functional neutrophils that reduce neutropenia-associated infection and mortality (accepted to EMBO Molecular Medicine)
- Weili Sun, Etan Orgel, Jemily Malvar, Richard Sposto, Jennifer Wilkes, Rebecca Gardner, Vanessa Pineros, Alison Smith, Minjun Hur, Jill Hoffman, Susan R. Rheingold, Michael J. Burke, Alan S. Wayne (2016), Treatment related adverse events associated with a modified UK ALLR3 induction chemotherapy backbone for childhood relapsed/refractory acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Pediatric Blood and Cancer, doi: 10.1002/pbc.26129. [Epub ahead of print])
- Kee Kiat Yeo, Paul Gaynon, Cecilia Fu, Alan Wayne, Weili Sun (2016), Bortezomib, dexamethasone, mitoxantrone and vinorelbine (BDMV): an active re-induction regimen for children with relapsed ALL and Asparaginase intolerance (Journal of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, 38 (5): 345-9)
- Paul Gaynon and Weili Sun (2016), Oligoclonality and a new agent evaluation in acute lymphoblastic leukemia (British Journal of Haematology, 173 (6): 950-957)
- Weili Sun, Paul Gaynon, Richard Sposto, and Alan Wayne (2015), Improving access to nove1 agents for childhood leukemia (Cancer, 121 (12): 1927-36)
- Yin Liu, Jingyan Tang, Peter Wakamatsu, Huiliang Xue, Jing Chen, Paul S. Gaynon, Shuhong Shen and Weili Sun (2014), High-resolution melting curve analysis, a rapid and affordable methods for mutation analysis in childhood acute myeloid leukemia (Frontiers in Pediatrics, 2:96, doi:10.3389/fped.214.00096)
- Weili Sun and Shakeel Modak (2012), Emergenging treatment options for the treatment of neuroblastoma: potential role of periforsine (Onco Targets and Therapy, 5:21-29)
- Robert B. Lorsbach, Jennifer Moore, Sonny Ang, Weili Sun, Noel Lenny, and James R. Downing (2004), Role of RUNX1 in adult hematopoiesis: analysis of RUNX1-GFP knock-in mice reveals differential lineage expression (Blood. 2004, Apr 1; 103(7):2522-9)
- Weili Sun and James R. Downing (2004) Haploinsufficiency of AML1 results in a decrease in number of LTR-HSC, while simultaneously inducing an increase in more mature progenitors (Blood, 2004, Dec 1;104(12):3565-72)
- 2014-present, Chinese American Hematologist and Oncologist Network
- 2013-present, European Hematology Association
- 2008-present, Children’s Oncology Group
- 2011-present, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- 2008-present, American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- 2003-present, American Society of Hematology