Wellness Wednesday Tip: Find a Workout Buddy
August 30, 2016 | by Stephanie Smith
Have you made it to mid-week with nothing under your exercise belt? Feeling the pang of guilt that comes with resolving to exercise and not following through? Everyone goes through it — even exercise buffs — so we’ve got a quick wellness tip to help you out: Find a workout buddy.
The benefits of regular exercise — for cardiovascular health, stress levels, mental health, better cognition, reduced risk of diseases like cancer — are well-documented. Besides those, having an exercise buddy (or buddies) has several other benefits:
- You have a built-in motivator
- Working out is potentially more fun
- It forces you plan workouts in advance
- You become more committed
- You boost your performance while exercising, according to this study.
With those benefits in mind, here are a few tips for finding an exercise buddy:
- Before asking anyone, figure out your fitness goals and the time you're willing to commit.
- Ask friends and family first, since they are likely to know the best ways to motivate you.
- If friends and family aren’t available, try to find exercise partners on sites like Meetup.com, Exercisefriends.com and Wellsquad.com.
- Invest in a session or two with a personal trainer, then ask him or her about group training with others looking for exercise partners.
If all else fails and you can’t find a physical exercise buddy, make your “partner” an app/website, like MyFitnessPal, where you can set goals and monitor your activity. Or start an exercise diary using a journal or pen and paper — whatever you think will keep you motivated.
“Wellness Wednesday” is a new series from City of Hope meant to help you tip the balance of your week back toward health. Have your own “Wellness Wednesday” tips to share? Share them in the comments below!
, Thank you for supporting our mission of eliminating cancer and other life-threatening diseases! Make sure to check your inbox from time to time for the latest City of Hope updates and breakthroughs.
You may also be interested in