Ravindra Kumar Guruswamy, M.D., M.P.H.
- Hospital Medicine
Other Languages Spoken
Ravindra Kumar Guruswamy, M.D., M.P.H., has joined City of Hope as an assistant clinical professor in the Department of Medicine. He chose to become a hospitalist to help patients admitted in a hospital at their most vulnerable and turbulent phases of ill health.
"No two days are the same for a hospitalist – the thrill of treating complex and legitimately sick patients combined with my appetite for an immersive understanding of hematological malignancies led me to City of Hope's hematology hospitalist program", says Dr. Guruswamy.
He combines his medical skills with a deep commitment to public health and disease prevention. Dr. Guruswamy earned his medical degree at India's venerable Madras Medical College, one of Asia's largest institutes as well as the nation's third oldest medical school, established in 1835. He also earned a master’s degree in public health at Northern Illinois University with a focus on health promotion and medical informatics.
Dr. Guruswamy served his internship and residency at State University of New York/Downstate Health Science Center in Brooklyn and also completed a research fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic.
Throughout his 20-year career Dr. Guruswamy has promoted wellness and public health through a variety of projects focused on obesity prevention, reactive oxygen species' role in inflammation and epidemiology of childhood leukemias in India.
- 2019-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Hospital Medicine, City of Hope, Duarte, California
- 2013-2019, Hospitalist, Health Care Partners Medical Group, Arcadia Methodist Hospital, Arcadia, CA & Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, CA
- 2008-2013, Clinical Assistant Professor & Academic Hospitalist, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Sentara Norfolk General Hospital & Sentara Heart Hospital, Norfolk, Virginia
- 2004, M.P.H., Master of Public Health Promotion, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL, USA
- 2001, M.B.B.S., Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery, Madras Medical College & Research Institute, The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai, India
- 2004 - 2005, Research Fellow in Andrology/Urology, Center for Advanced Research in Reproduction, Infertility, and, Sexual Dysfunction, Glickman Urological Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio
- 2005 - 2008, Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine, State University of New York/Downstate Health Science Center, Brooklyn, NY
- 2018, ABIM, American Board of Internal Medicine
- 2004, ECFMG, Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates