We Make Getting Here Easy and Affordable
At City of Hope Chicago, we understand the stress and expense that comes with traveling for treatment. That’s why we make it our priority to see that your treatment is as convenient, affordable and stress-free as possible. One of the ways we do that is by paying certain travel costs for qualified patients* and their caregivers, and hosting their stay in local hotels at deeply reduced rates.
Before Your Visit
Prior to your visit, a City of Hope representative will:
- Verify your insurance benefits
- Obtain your medical records and transfer them to your hospital
- Schedule your initial appointment
- Schedule your air or train travel*
- Reserve your accommodations at our on-site guest quarters or at a nearby hotel, at discounted rates
- Greet you at the airport or train station and bring you to the hospital, or to your nearby lodging site*
COVID-19 Protocols and Safety Measures
Before you arrive, review the steps we’re taking to keep you, your caregiver and our staff safe as the pandemic continues to have implications for cancer patients.
Once You Arrive
Our hospital provides:
- Concierge services (an information station at the hospital)
- Healthy meal options by a world-class culinary team
- Shuttle service to the airport*, local restaurants, shops and attractions
- Fitness facility for you and your caregivers (at select facilities)
- Patient and caregiver activities, classes and support groups
- An on-site pharmacy/supplement center
- Free wi-fi throughout the hospital
When you arrive at our hospital, our experienced travel and accommodations staff will work to help make your stay as pleasant as possible. If you are visiting from out of town, a member of our team will work with you prior to your arrival to help arrange affordable lodging. For qualifying patients and caregivers visiting City of Hope Chicago, we offer accommodations in our own guest rooms, either on-site or close to the hospital.
If available, our on-site accommodations may be offered at reduced rates. These comfortable rooms come with a variety of amenities designed to make you feel at home. While we would like to accommodate all our patients in our on-site guest rooms, these rooms are typically reserved for patients with special needs and those undergoing special treatments, so availability is limited.
We also partner with hotels near our facilities to offer quality accommodations and service at negotiated rates. Some of our partner hotels also provide special gathering rooms just for our patients and their caregivers. Due to the limitations of federal law, however, we are not permitted to provide travel, lodging or transportation benefits to Medicare patients or other patients whose health care is paid for by government insurance.
Lori’s Gifts: If you’re looking for a thoughtful gift for your loved one but aren’t able to visit our shop in person, Lori’s Gifts offers a wide variety of snacks, magazines, balloons, stuffed animals, toiletries and more. We offer free same-day delivery to patient rooms. Lori’s Gifts, located at City of Hope Chicago, is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and closed on Sunday. During regular business hours, you can place an order by calling our direct line at 847-872-6396.
Cancer Fighters: When you need extra support or want to hear how others have endured similar situations, the Cancer Fighters® program is there for you. Created by our patients in 1990, this community offers you the opportunity to tap into the experiences from members across the country. Cancer Fighters members are patients, caregivers, friends and family—anyone looking to connect around the idea that no one should fight cancer alone.
Activities and Classes: We offer a variety of activities and classes to help you relax, enjoy your stay and meet new people who are going through a similar experience. Events vary by season, but they often include arts and crafts, sewing or cooking classes and visits from therapy dogs. Transportation may be available for off-site activities for qualifying patients.
Guest Services: Our guest services or concierge team welcomes you to our hospitals and provides a variety of services to help you during your visit.Guest services representatives may help with luggage and coats, check your travel and transportation information, provide information on patient activities and help direct you to local shopping and other locations and attractions.
* If you are a beneficiary of a government health insurance program, such as Medicare, City of Hope Chicago is not permitted to provide travel, lodging or transportation benefits.
** Meal costs for patients and caregivers vary.