Mary Cianfrocca, D.O., M.B.A.
"My career has been dedicated to breast cancer and I've been most passionate about research to find better treatments and ultimately a cure."
2009, Subspeciality Recertification: Oncology
1999, American Board of Internal Medicine, Subspeciality Certification: Oncology
1993, American Board of Internal Medicine Diplomate
2017, Masters of Business Administration, W.P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona
1989, Doctor of Osteopathy, Valedictory Honors Distinction, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Downers Grove, Illinois
1984, Loyola University, Chicago, Illinois
1996-1999, Hematology/Oncology Fellowship, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois
1993-1994, Chief Resident, Rush Presbyterian St. Luke’s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois
1990-1993, Resident, Department of Internal Medicine, Rush Presbyterian, St. Luke’s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois
1989-1990, Rotating Internship, Chicago Osteopathic Hospital, Chicago, Ilinois
2019-present, Associate Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Duarte, California
2019-present, Senior Medical Director, Community Practices, City of Hope, Duarte, California
2018-2019, Oncology Physician Executive, Northwest Region
2016-2018, Regional Medical Director, Northwest Region, Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center, Gilbert, Arizona
2014-2019, Division Chief, Internal Medicine, Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center, Gilbert, Arizona
2012-2019, Medical Director, Clinical Cancer Genetics Program, Banner MD Anderson, Gilbert, Arizona
2011-2019, Director, Multidisciplinary Breast Program, Banner MD Anderson, Gilbert, Arizona
2011-2019, Additional Clinical Stewardship, Banner MD Anderson, Gilbert, Arizona
2004-2011, Breast Medical Oncologist, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois
1999-2004, Breast Medical Oncologist, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia
2010, Fellowship, American College of Physicians
2009, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Teaching Award
1991, Intern of the Year, Rush Presbyterian St. Luke’s Medical Center
1989, Valedictorian, Graduating class Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
Member, American Society of Clinical Oncology
Fellow, American College of Physicians
Member, American College of Healthcare Executives
- Cianfrocca M, Cooley TP, Lee J, et al. Angiogenesis inhibitor COL-3 in the treatment of AIDS-related Kaposi’s sarcoma: A phase I AIDS Malignancy Consortium Study, J Clin Oncol 20(1) 153-159, 2002.
- Freedman G, Anderson PR, Goldstein LJ, Hanlon AL, Cianfrocca ME, Millenson MM, vonMehren M, Torosian M, Boraas M, Nicolau N, Patchefsky AS, Evers K. Routine mammography is associated with earlier stage disease and greater eligibility for breast conservation in breast carcinoma patients age 40 years and older. Cancer 98(5) 918-925, 2003.
- Cianfrocca ME, Kimmel KA, Gallo J, Cardoso T, Brown MM, Hudes G, Lewis N, Weiner L, Lam GN, Brown SC, Shaw DE, Mazar AP, Cohen RB. Phase I Trial of the antiangiogenic peptide ATN-161 (Ac-PHSCN-NH(2)), a beta integrin antagonist, in patients with solid tumours. Br J Cancer, 94: 1621-6, 2006.
- Chu QS, Cianfrocca ME, Goldstein LJ, Gale M, Murray N, Loftiss J, Arya N, Koch KM, Pandite L, Fleming RA, Paul E, Rowinsky EK. A phase I and pharmacokinetic study of lapatinib in combination with letrozole in patients with advanced cancer. Clin Cancer Res 14:4484-90, 2008.
- Kaklamani VG, Cianfrocca M, Ciccone J, et al. Increased HER2/neu expression in recurrent hormone receptor-positive breast cancer. Biomarkers 15(2): 191-3, 2010.
- Cianfrocca M, Lee S, Von Roenn J, et al. Randomized Trial of Paclitaxel versus Pegylated Liposomal Doxorubicin for Advanced Human Immunodeficiency Virus-associated Kaposi’s Sarcoma: Evidence for Symptom Palliation from Chemotherapy Cancer 116:3969-77, 2010.
- Cianfrocca M, Lee S, Von Roenn J, et al. Pilot Study evaluating the interaction between paclitaxel and protease inhibitors in patients with human immunodeficiency virusassocaited Kaposi’s sarcoma.: an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) andAIDS Malignancy Consortium (AMC) trial, Cancer Chemother Pharmacol Jan 5 (epub ahead of print) 2011.
- Kaklamani VG, Siziopikou K, Scholtens D, Lacouture M, Gordon J, Uthe R, Meservey C, Hansen N, Khan SA, Jeruss JS, Bethke K, Cianfrocca M, Rosen S, Von Roenn J, Wayne J, Parimi V, Jovanovic B, Gradishar W. Pilot neoadjuvant trial in HER2 positive breast cancer with combination of nab-paclitaxel and lapatinib. Breast Cancer Res Treat Feb 27 (epub ahead of print) 2011.
- Kumthekar P, Grimm SA, Avram MJ, Kaklamani V, Helenowski I, Rademaker A, Cianfrocca M, Gradishar W, Patel J, Mulcahy M, McCarthy K, Raizer JJ. Pharmacokinetics and efficacy of pemetrexed in patients with brain or leptomeningeal metastases. J Neurooncol 2013 Apr;112(2):247-55. doi: 10.1007/s11060-013-1055-0. Epub 2013 Jan 25.
- Rudek MA, Moore PC, Mitsuyasu RT, Dezube BJ, Aboulafia D, Gerecitano J, Sullivan R, Cianfrocca ME, Henry DH, Ratner L, Haigentz M, Dowlati A, Little RF, Ivy SP, Deeken JF. A phase 1/pharmacokinetic study of sunitinib in combination with highly active antiretroviral therapy in human immunodeficiency virus-postitive patients with cancer: AIDS Maligancy Consortium trial AMC 061. Cancer. 2014 Jan 28. Doi: 10.1002/cncr. 28554. (epub ahead of print) 2014.
- Margolese RM, Cecchini RS, Julian TB, Ganz PA, Costantino JP, Vallow LA, Albain KS, Whitworth PW, Cianfrocca ME, Brufsky AM, Gross HM, Soori GS, Hopkins JO, Fehrenbacher L, Sturtz K, Wozniak TF, Seay TE, Mamounas EP, Wolmark N. Anastrazole versus tamoxifen in postmenopausal women with ductal carcinoma in situ undergoing lumpectomy plus radiotherapy (NSABP B-35): a randomized, double-blind, phase 3 clinical trial. Lancet, published online December 10, 2015.
- Ganz PA, Cecchini RS, Julian TB, Margolese RM, Costantino JP, Vallow LA, Albain KS, Whitworth PW, Cianfrocca ME, Brufsky AM, Gross HM, Soori GS, Hopkins JO, Fehrenbacher L, Sturtz K, Wozniak TF, Seay TE, Mamounas EP, Wolmark N. Patientreported outcomes with anastrazole versus tamoxifen for postmenopausal patients with ductal carcinoma in situ treated with lumpectomy plus radiotherapy (NSABP B-35): a randomized, double-blind, phase 3 clinical trial. Lancet, published online December 10, 2015.