Paul Han, D.P.M., M.S.
- Podiatric Surgery
Areas of Expertise
- Foot Surgery
- Diabetic Foot
Other Languages Spoken
Paul Han, D.P.M., M.S., is a podiatric surgeon, certified in foot and ankle surgery by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery and a fellow in the American College of Foot and Ankle Orthopedics. He was invited to join City of Hope in 2010 as a physician member in the Department of Clinical Diabetes, Endocrinology & Metabolism and in the Division of Surgical Oncology.
He has been active in private practice in Orange County since 1985 and currently serves as chairman of the Department of Surgery at the South Coast Global Medical Center Hospital, Orange County, California.
Dr. Han specializes in diabetic foot complications and is an expert in limb preservation in diabetes. Dr. Han leads City of Hope's diabetic foot program and also provides education to endocrinology fellows of City of Hope on diabetic foot complications.
His expertise in diabetic feet goes back to 1991 when he was appointed as chief of Podiatric Surgery and director of the Podiatric Residency Program at the Wadsworth Veterans Administration (VA) Hospital in West Los Angeles where he developed the Diabetic Amputation Prevention Program for the veterans.
Dr. Han has trained over 500 students, podiatrists and family practice residents while at the VA Hospital and has written numerous peer reviewed journal articles related to diabetic foot complications. He has given numerous continuing medical education lectures to primary care physicians and endocrinologists throughout the country.
- 2010-present, Consultant, Department of Clinical Diabetes, Endocrinology & Metabolism, Division of Surgical Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2018-2019 Chairman, Department of Surgery, South Coast Global Medical Center
- 2006-2011, Vice Chairman, Department of Surgery, Coastal Communities Hospital, Santa Ana, CA
- 1998-2004, Medical Director, Tenet Health System, Diabetic Foot Wound Care Center, Coastal Communities Hospital, Santa Ana, CA
- 1996, Examiner, CA State Licensing Examination Committee California Board of Podiatric Medicine
- 1992-1997, Director of Podiatric Residency Program VA Wadsworth Hospital, West Los Angeles, CA
- 1992-1997, Expert Witness on behalf of the State of California, Board of Podiatric Medicine
- 1991-1998, Examiner for Board Certification, American Board of Podiatric Surgery
- 1991-1997, Chief, Podiatric Surgery, VA Wadsworth Hospital, West Los Angeles, CA
- 1983-1985, VA Hospital, West Los Angeles, Postgraduate Podiatric Surgical Residency
- 1979-1983, California College of Podiatric Medicine, Doctor of Podiatric Medicine
- 1977-1979, UCLA Master of Science, Organic Chemistry
- 1973-1977, University of California Los Angeles, Bachelor of Science, Biochemistry
- 1983-1985, Podiatric Surgical Residency, VA Wadsworth Hospital, West Los Angeles
- 2012, American Board of Wound Healing
- 1990, American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics
- 1989, American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery
City of Hope Ask The Experts: The Dangers Of Diabetic Foot ComplicationsCity of Hope Ask the Experts - Diabetes: Beyond Blood Sugar
Meet the Doctors
C. Shermerhorn, D. Lin, of Western University Health Science. Paul Han of City of Hope. The podiatric guide to diabetic foot wound for the primary care providers. Poster Presentation. Desert Foot Limb Salvage Conference , Phoenix Arizona, 2018
D. Lin, C. Shermerhorn of Western University Health Science, Paul Han of City of Hope Calcanectomy with Talectomy for Management of Necrotizing Fasciitis for Presuure Injury of the Foot – Alternative to a Leg Amputation. Poster Presentation. Desert Foot Limb Salvage Conference , Phoenix Arizona, 2018
Han, Paul Y., Khosravi, Azar, Schermerhorn, Chandler “Diabetic Foot Wounds for Primary Care Perspective” Recent Clinical Techniques, Results, and Research in Wounds. Springer Press, Accepted for publication, Aug. 2, 2017 and in print.
Han PY, Khosravi A, Lin D. “Limb Salvage Calcanectomies for Infected Stage IV Pressure Injuries of the Heel in Non-Ambulatory Diabetics” Recent Clinical Techniques, Results, and Research in Wounds, Springer Press, Accepted for publication on Aug. 2, 2017 and in print.
Han PY, Ezquerro R."Surgical Treatment of Pressure Heel Ulcers in Skilled Nursing Facilities: A 12-Year Retrospective Study of 57 Patients." J. Am. Podiatr. Med. Assoc. (2011) 101:167-175.
Han P, Ezquerro R, Chung YW, Hwang S, Lu JJ, Pan KM. Co-morbidities associated with diabetic foot complications among Asian Americans in Southern California. J. Am. Podiatr. Med. Assoc. Volume 93 Number 1 37-41 (2003).
Han P. Ruben Ezquerro, Diabetic Foot Wound Care Algorithms. June issue, J. Am. Podiatr. Med. Assoc. (2002), Volume 92 No. 6, p336-p349.
Han P. Diabetes and Foot Complications, (1996) KNH Press, New York, N.Y.
Han PY, Johnson G. The Role of Talectomy in the Treatment of Rigid Talipes Equinovarus Deformities, J. Am. Podiatr. Med. Assoc. (1995) 85:189-97.
Nyquist HL, Han PY, Speechly T. Solvolysis of the Sulfonate Esters of 1-(4,6-dimethyl-s-trizin-2-yl)-2-propanol and 1-(4,6-dimethyl-s-trizin-2-yl)-2-butanol Involving a Special Salt Effect and Anchimeric Assistance, The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 57:1449 - 1456. (1992).
Han PY, Johnson G. Tissue Expansion as an Alternative to Skin Grafting for Closure of Skin Defects. J. Am. Podiatr. Med. Assoc. (1992) 82:249-59.
Danna A, Han PY. Simplified Preoperative Evaluation for Various Osteotomies 76:2-7, J. Am. Podiatr. Med. Assoc. (1986) 76:2-6.
- American College of Foot and Ankle Orthopedics and Medicine
- American Podiatric Medical Association
- California Podiatric Medical Association