Stephen Gruber, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H.
2008-2018, Diplomate, Recertified in Medical Oncology
2004-2005, Visiting Scientist, Sabbatical, Institut Catala d’Oncologia, Barcelona, Spain
1998-2008, Diplomate in Medical Oncology
1995-2005, Diplomate in Internal Medicine
1993, Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners
1992, M.D., University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
1988, Ph.D., Epidemiology, Yale University, New Haven, CT
1986, M.P.H., Graduate School, Yale University, New Haven, CT (Distinction)
1984, B.A., English/Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
1994-1997, M.D., Medical Oncology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
1997-1999, Clinical Medical Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
1993-1994, Internal Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
1992-1993, Internal Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
2019-present, Director, Center of Precision Medicine, and Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Duarte, California
2011-2019, Professor, Preventive Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
2011-2019, Professor, Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
2011-2017, Director, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
2011-2012, Adjunct Professor, Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
2008-2011, Professor, Internal Medicine, Epidemiology, and Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
2004-2008, Associate Professor, Internal Medicine, Epidemiology and Human Genetics (tenure), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
2002-2004, Assistant Professor, Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
1997-2004, Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine and Epidemiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
2017, Jane & Kris Popovich Endowed Chair in Cancer Research, University of Southern California
2016, The Niehaus Southworth Weissenbach Award and Visiting Professor in Clinical Cancer Genetics, Memorial Sloan Kettering
2013, Lifetime Achievement Award, Collaborative Group of the Americas on Inherited Colorectal Cancer
2012, H. Leslie and Elaine S. Hoffman Cancer Research Chair, University of Southern California
2011, University of Michigan League of Research Excellence
2006, H. Marvin Pollard Professor of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan
2003, Elected to American Society of Clinical Investigation
2000, Jerome Conn Award for Excellence in Research
1994, Humaneness in Medicine, Philadelphia County Medical Society
1994, Penn Pearls Teaching Award
1992, Alfred Stengel Memorial Prize
1989-1992, Penn Medical Scholar
1986-1988, NIH Cancer Training Grant
1986, Distinction, Yale University
1996-present, American Society of Clinical Oncology
1997-present, American Association for the Advancement of Science
2003, elected, American Society of Clinical Investigation
1999, American Association of Cancer Research
1998, American Society of Human Genetics
- Schmit SL, Edlund CK, Schumacher FR, Gong J, Harrison TA, Huyghe JR,…[175 other authors], Conti DV, Gruber SB. Novel Common Susceptibility Loci for Colorectal Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2018 Feb 1;111(2):146-157, 2019.
- McDonnell KJ, Chemler JA, Bartels PL, O’Brien E, Marvin ML, Ortega J, Stern RH, Raskin L, Li G-M, Sherman DH, Barton JK, Gruber SB. A human MUTYH variant linking colonic polyposis to redox degradation of the [4Fe4S]2+ cluster. Nature Chemistry 2018, 10(8):873-880.
- Maoz A, Rennert G, Gruber SB. T-Cell Transfer Therapy Targeting Mutant KRAS. N Engl J Med 2017 Feb 16;376(7):e11, 2017.
- Rozek LS, Schmit SL, Greenson JK, Tomsho LP, Rennert HS, Rennert G, Gruber SB. Tumor- Infiltrating Lymphocytes, Crohn's-Like Lymphoid Reaction, and survival from colorectal cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016 Aug;108(8), 2016.
- Mukherjee B, Delancey JO, Raskin L, Everett J, Jeter J, Begg CB, Orlow I, Berwick M, Armstrong BK, Kricker A, Marrett LD, Millikan RC, Culver HA, Rosso S, Zanetti R, Kanetsky PA, From L, Gruber SB, Gem Study Investigators. Risk of non-melanoma cancers in first-degree relatives of CDKN2A mutation carriers. J Natl Cancer Inst 104:953-956, 2012.
- Poynter JN, Elder JT, Fullen DR, Nair RP, Soengas MS, Johnson TM, Redman B, Thomas NE, Gruber SB. BRAF and NRAS mutations in melanoma and melanocytic nevi. Melanoma Res 16:267-273, 2006.
- Douglas JA, Gruber SB, Meister KA, Bonner J, Watson P, Krush AJ, Lynch HT. History and molecular genetics of Lynch syndrome in Family G: a century later. JAMA 294:2195-2202, 2005.
- Poynter JN, Gruber SB, Higgins PD, Almog R, Bonner JD, Rennert HS, Low M, Greenson JK, Rennert G. Statins and the risk of colorectal cancer. N Engl J Med 352:2184-2192, 2005.
- Greenson JK, Bonner JD, Ben-Yzhak O, Cohen HI, Miselevich I, Resnick MB, Trougouboff P, Tomsho LD, Kim E, Low M, Almog R, Rennert G, Gruber SB. Phenotype of microsatellite unstable colorectal carcinomas: well-differentiated and focally mucinous tumors and the absence of dirty necrosis correlate with microsatellite instability. Am J Surg Pathol 27:563-570, 2003.
- Gruber SB, Ellis NA, Scott KK, Almog R, Kolachana P, Bonner JD, Kirchhoff T, Tomsho LP, Nafa K, Pierce H, Low M, Satagopan J, Rennert H, Huang H, Greenson JK, Groden J, Rapaport B, Shia J, Johnson S, Gregersen PK, Harris CC, Boyd J, Rennert G, Offit K. BLM heterozygosity and the risk of colorectal cancer. Science 297:2013, 2002.
- Gruber SB, Entius MM, Petersen GM, Laken SJ, Longo PA, Boyer R, Levin AM, Mujumdar UJ, Trent JM, Kinzler KW, Vogelstein B, Hamilton SR, Polymeropoulos MH, Offerhaus GJ, Giardiello FM. Pathogenesis of adenocarcinoma in Peutz-Jeghers syndrome. Cancer Res 58:5267-5270, 1998.
- Laken SJ, Petersen GM, Gruber SB, Oddoux C, Ostrer H, Giardiello FM, Hamilton SR, Hampel H, Markowitz A, Klimstra D, Jhanwar S, Winawer S, Offit K, Luce MC, Kinzler KW, Vogelstein B. Familial colorectal cancer in Ashkenazim due to a hypermutable tract in APC. Nat Genet 17:79-83, 1997.