Chun-Wei (David) Chen, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Systems Biology
- Director, Division of Epigenetic and Transcriptional Engineering, Department of Systems Biology
Chun-Wei (David) Chen, Ph.D.
Research Focus :
- Epigenetic mechanisms for therapeutic resistance in cancers
- Therapeutic target discovery using high throughput genetic screens
Dr. Chen obtained his B.S. and M.S. degrees in National Taiwan University (Taipei, Taiwan) and a Ph.D. degree in University of Rochester (Rochester, New York). He received his postdoctoral training in the Children’s Hospital Boston/Harvard Medical School (Boston). Prior to joining City of Hope, Dr. Chen served as a senior research scientist at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (New York) and an instructor at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Harvard Medical School. His laboratory at City of Hope is currently funded by a five-year start-up package and a National Institutes of Health K99/R00 Award.
- 2017-present, Assistant Professor, Department of Systems Biology, Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2016-2017, Instructor, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 2012-2016, Senior Research Scientist, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
- 2003-2005, Research Fellow, McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA
- 2000-2003, Associate Researcher, Maxigen Biotech Inc. and Taipei Biotech Inc., Taiwan
- 2011, Ph.D., Pathology, University of Rochester
- 1998, M.S., Bioindustrial Chemistry, National Taiwan University
- 1996, B.S., National Taiwan University
- 2011-2012, Postdoc Research Fellow, Children’s Hospital Boston/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- T. Hoshii, P. Cifani, Z. Feng, C.H. Huang, R. Koche, C.W. Chen, C.D. Delaney, S.W. Lowe, A. Kentsis, S.A. Armstrong. A Non-catalytic Function of SETD1A Regulates Cyclin K and the DNA Damage Response. Cell. 2018; 172(5):1007-1021.
- J.H. Huang, W.H. Hsu and C.W. Chen. Effects of Culturing Conditions on Production of D-hydantoinase from Recombinant Escherichia coli. J. Microbiol. Immunal. Infect. 2004, 37; 313-321.
- C.W. Chen, Y.H. Tsai, W.P. Deng, S.N. Shih, C.L. Fang, J.G. Burch, W.H. Chen, and W.F. Lai. Type I and Type II Collagen Regulation of Chondrogenic Differentiation by Mesenchymal Progenitor Cells. Journal of Orthopedic Research. 2005, 23; 446-53.
- C.W. Chen, R.M. Boiteau, W.F. Lai, S.W. Barger, and A.M. Cataldo. sAPPalpha Enhances the Transdifferentiation of Adult Bone Marrow Progenitor Cells to Neuronal Phenotypes. Current Alzheimer Research, 2006, 3; 63-70.
- W.L. Ma, C.L. Hsu, M.H. Wu, C.T. Wu, C.C. Wu, J.J. Lai, Y.S. Jou, C.W. Chen, S. Yeh, and C. Chang. Androgen Receptor Is a New Potential Therapeutic Target for the Treatment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Gastroenterology, 2008, 135(3); 947-55.
- Y.H. Tsai, C.W. Chen (co-first), W.F. Lai, J.R. Tang, W.P. Deng, S.D. Yeh, A. Chung, C.S. Zuo, and J.F. Bowley. Phenotypic Changes in Proliferation, Differentiation, and Migration of Chondrocytes: 3D in vitro Models for Joint Wound Healing. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. A. 2010, 92; 1115-1122.
- C.W. Chen, M. Sowden, Q. Zhao, T. Wiedmer, and P.J. Sims. Nuclear Phospholipid Scramblase 1 Prolongs the Mitotic Expansion of Granulocyte Precursors during G-CSF-induced Granulopoiesis. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 2011, 90; 221-233.
- W.P. Deng, C.C. Yang, L.Y. Yang, C.W. Chen, W.H. Chen, C.B. Yang, Y.H. Chen, W.F. Lai, and P. Renshaw. Extracellular Matrix Regulated Neural Differentiation of Human Multipotent Marrow Progenitor Cells Enhances Functional Recovery after Spinal Cord Injury. Spine Journal. 2014, 14(10); 2488-99.
- A.J. Deshpande, A.A. Deshpande, A.U. Sinha, L. Chen, J. Chang, A. Cihan, M. Fazio, C.W. Chen, N. Zhu, R. Koche, L. Dzhekieva, G. Ibáñez, S. Dias, D. Banka, A. Krivtsov, M. Luo, R.G. Roeder, J.E. Bradner, K.M. Bernt, and S.A. Armstrong. AF10 Regulates Progressive H3K79 Methylation and Hox Gene Expression in Diverse AML Subtypes. Cancer Cell. 2014, 26(6); 896-908.
- C.W. Chen, R. Koche, A. Sinha, A. Deshpande, N. Zhu, R. Eng, J. Doench, H. Xu, S. Chu, J. Qi, X. Wang, C. Delaney, K.M. Bernt, D.E. Root, W.C. Hahn, J.E. Bradner, and S.A. Armstrong. DOT1L Inhibits SIRT1-mediated Epigenetic Silencing to Maintain Leukemic Gene Expression in MLL-rearranged Leukemia. Nature Medicine. 2015, 21; 335-343.
- H Xu, D.G. Valerio, M.E. Eisold, A. Sinha, R.P. Koche, W. Hu, C.W. Chen, S.H. Chu, G.L. Brien, J.J. Hsieh, P. Ernst, and S.A. Armstrong. NUP98-fusion Proteins Interact with the NSL and MLL1 Complexes to Drive Leukemogenesis. Cancer Cell. 2016; 30(6):863-878.
- M.W. Kühn, E. Song, Z. Feng, A. Sinha, C.W. Chen, A.J. Deshpande, M. Cusan, N. Farnoud, A. Mupo, C. Grove, R. Koche, J.E. Bradner, E. de Stanchina, G.S. Vassiliou, T. Hoshii, S.A. Armstrong. Targeting Chromatin Regulators Inhibits Leukemogenic Gene Expression in NPM1 Mutant Leukemia. Cancer Discovery. 2016; 6(10):1166-1181.
- N. Zhu, M. Chen, R. Eng, J. DeJong, A.U. Sinha, N.F. Rahnamay, R. Koche, F. Al-Shahrour, J.C. Minehart, C.W. Chen, A.J. Deshpande, H. Xu, S.H. Chu, B.L. Ebert, R.G. Roeder, and S.A. Armstrong. MLL-AF9- and HOXA9-mediated Acute Myeloid Leukemia Stem Cell Self-renewal Requires JMJD1C. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2016, 126(3):997-1011.
- S.C.W. Lee, H. Dvinge, E. Kim, H. Cho, J.B Micol, Y.R. Chung, B.H. Durham, A. Yoshimi, Y.J. Kim, M. Thomas, C. Lobry, C.W. Chen, A. Pastore, J. Taylor, X. Wang, A. Krivtsov, S.A. Armstrong, J. Palacino, S. Buonamici, P.G. Smith, R.K. Bradley, and O. Abdel-Wahab. Modulation of Splicing Catalysis for Therapeutic Targeting of Leukemias with Spliceosomal Mutations. Nature Medicine. 2016; 22(6):672-8.
- D.G. Valerio, H. Xu, C.W. Chen, T. Hoshii, M.E. Eisold, C. Delaney, M. Cusan, A.J. Deshpande, C.H. Huang, A. Lujambio, Y.G. Zheng, J. Zuber, T.K. Pandita, S.W. Lowe, and S.A. Armstrong. Histone Acetyltransferase Activity of MOF Is Required for MLL-AF9 Leukemogenesis. Cancer Research. 2017; 77(7):1753-1762.
- 2016, Translational Research Training in Hematology Award, European Hematology Association and the American Society of Hematology
- 2016, NIH-K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award, National Cancer Institute
- 2013, American Society of Hematology Travel Award