Daniel Jae Kim, M.D.
"I am especially interested in improving patients' experience with the health care system – and what we can do to improve the delivery of cancer care."
Daniel Jae Kim, M.D., originally studied to be an engineer but switched to medicine because the human element – the person-to-person contact – attracted him.
Specializing in hematology and oncology, Dr. Kim treats patients in our South Pasadena facility. One of his goals is to make the entire process as understandable as possible. “A new diagnosis of cancer is devastating enough,” he says, “but the patient has to then navigate through the complexities of insurance, referrals, laboratory testing, different treatment modalities and perhaps even hospitalizations ... it may actually cause significant and unnecessary stress.”
Dr. Kim is a University of California, Berkeley graduate who received his medical degree from Loma Linda University. He went on to complete his internship, residency and fellowships at UCLA-Olive View and Cedars-Sinai hospitals.
Dr. Kim is committed to giving back anywhere a need exists. He works with Global Health Outreach and has volunteered for medical missions in Honduras, Mexico and North Korea.
2011-2021, Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine subspecialty in Hematology
2010-2020 Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine subspecialty in Medical Oncology
2006-2016, Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
2003, M.D., Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, CA
2001, M.S., Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Dartmouth College, Hanover, Hew Hampshire
1998, M.A., Intercultural Studies, with High Honors, Biola University, La Mirada, CA
1997, B.A., Molecular Cell Biology, with High Honors, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
2006-2007, Internal Medicine, UCLA-Olive View Program, Sylmar, CA
2003-2006, Internal Medicine, UCLA-Olive View Program, Sylmar, CA
2017-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, South Pasadena, CA
2016-2017, Medical Director, Adult Hematology/Oncology, Infusion Center, Ventura County Medical Center, Ventura, CA
2010-2015, Staff Physician, The Oncology Institute, Anaheim, CA
- Kim DJ, Kwok B, Steinberg A. First reported case of simultaneous acute myeloid leukemia and multiple myeloma successfully treated with allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Southern Medical Journal, 2010;103(12):1246-9. PMID 21037523.
- Mikhail N, Pirouz S, Borneo HT, Kim A, Kim D, Feldman N, Miller J, Lovato L, Heinze E, Wali S, Cope D. Burkitt lymphoma presenting with hypercalcemic emergency. Southern Medical Journal, 2008;101(5):565. PMID 18414169..
- Kim DJ, Melamed O. A typical presentation in an atypical patient: a case of myeloma back pain in a 34-year old woman. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2005;20(April supplement 1):226-227.
- Kim DJ, Powell L; Hereditary Elliptocytosis. www.emedicine.com, 2005.
- Russell PT, Church CA, Jinn TH, Kim DJ, John EO, Jung TT. Effects of common topical otic preparations on the morphology of isolated cochlear outer hair cells. Acta Otolaryngologica, 2001;121(2):135-9. PMID 11349764.