Alex K. Wong, M.D.
It is extremely satisfying to perform procedures that help patients feel ‘normal’ again.
2010, American Board of Plastic Surgery
2006, #BW91222xx, Drug Enforcement Administration
2004, National Board of Medical Examiners
2002, Advanced Trauma Life Support
2002, M.D., Harvard Medical School, Division of Health Sciences & Technology (Harvard-MIT), Boston, MA
1997, M.D., A.B., Cornell University, Biological Sciences, cum laude, and with Distinction in All Subjects, Ithaca, NY
2008-2009, Fellow in Reconstructive Microsurgery New York University Medical Center, New York, NY
2005-2006, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
1999-2000, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Fellow, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA
2002-2008, Resident in Plastic Surgery (Integrated) University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
2022-present, Professor, Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2021-2022, Professor and Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2016-2021, Associate Professor of Clinical Surgery, Keck School of Medicine of USC, Department of Surgery, Los Angeles, CA
2009-2016, Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery, Keck School of Medicine of USC, Department of Surgery, Los Angeles, CA
2018, Resident Research Competition Winner (Mentor to MJ) USC Department of Surgery
2017, Top Doctor Super Doctors
2016, Outstanding Required Scholarly Project Mentor Keck School of Medicine of USC
2013-2016, Rising Star Super Doctors
2013, SC-CTSI KL2 Mentored Research Award
2012, ISAPS Young Researchers Award (Mentor to GD)
2010-2016, Top Doctor Pasadena Magazine
2010, Robert E. and May R. Wright Foundation Award (Principal Investigator)
2007, Life Cell Corporation Investigator Initiated Research Grant (Co-Principal Investigator)
2006, Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation Research, Grant (Principal Investigator)
2020, American Council of Academic Plastic Surgeons
2017, American Association of Plastic Surgeons
2017, Association for Academic Surgery
2018, Society of University Surgeons
2012, Fellow, American College of Surgeons
2010, Plastic Surgery Research Council
2011, American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
World Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery
American Society of Plastic Surgeons
California Society of Plastic Surgeons
Ivy Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Raghuram AC, Yu RP, Lo AY, Sung CJ, Bircan M, Thompson HJ, Wong AK. The Role of Stem Cell Therapies in the Treatment of Chronic Wounds: A Systematic Review. World J Stem Cells. Jul 26, 2020; 12(7): 659- 675
- Lo AY, Yu RP, Raghuram A, Khim P, Wang S, Manoukian HL, Johnson MB, Schooler W, Carey K, Patel K, Baker R, Wong AK. Patient Characteristics Associated with Free Nipple Graft Reduction Mammoplasty. Cureus 12(7): e9063.
- Wu Y, Seong YJ, Li K, Choi D, Park E, Daghlian GH, Jung E, Bui K, Zhao L, Madhavan S, Daghlian S, Daghlian P, Chin D, Cho IT, Wong AK, Heur M, Zhang-Nunes S, Tan JC, Ema M, Wong TT, Huang AS, Hong YK. Organogenesis and distribution of the ocular lymphatic vessels in the anterior eye. JCI Insight. 2020 Jul 9;5(13):135121. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.135121.
- Lee G, Pourmoussa AJ, Perrault D, Wong AK. Supercharged Free Transverse Rectus Abdominis Myocutaneous Flap: An Autologous Reconstructive Option for the Thin Breast Reconstruction Patient. Cureus 12(6): e8776.
- Choi D, Park E, Kim KE, Jung E, Seong YJ, Zhao L, Madhavan S, Daghlian G, Lee HH, Daghlian PT, Daghlian S, Bui K, Koh CJ, Wong AK, Cho IT, Hong YK. The Lymphatic Cell Environment Promotes Kaposi Sarcoma Development by Prox1-Enhanced Productive Lytic Replication of Kaposi Sarcoma Herpes Virus. Cancer Res. 2020 Jun 9:canres.3105.2019. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.
- Song EH, Milne C, Hamm T, Mize J, Harris K, Kuplicki S, Smith A, Ferreira LM, Wong A. A Novel Point-ofCare Solution to Streamline Local Wound Formulary Development and Promote Cost-effective Wound Care. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2020 Feb;33(2):91-97.
- Daneshgaran G, Cooper MN, Ni P, Zhou S, Weichman KE, Wong AK. Analysis of Trends in the Selection and Production of U.S. Academic Plastic Surgery Faculty. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2020 Jan 20;8(1):e2607.
- Perrault DP, Lee GK, Bouz A, Sung C, Yu R, Pourmoussa AJ, Park SY, Kim GH, Jiao W, Patel KM, Hong YK, Wong AK. Ischemia and reperfusion injury in superficial inferior epigastric artery-based vascularized lymph node flaps. PLoS One. 2020 Jan 10;15(1):e0227599.
- Sung, C, Yu, RP, Raghuram, AC, Wong AK. A Clinical Algorithm for Breast Cancer Patients: Exploring Reconstructive Options after Radiation. Curr Breast Cancer Rep 11, 385–394 (2019).
- Raghuram AC, Yu RP, Sung C, Huang S, Wong AK. The Diagnostic Approach to Lymphedema: A Review of Current Modalities and Future Developments. Curr Breast Cancer Rep 11, 365–372 (2019).
- Daneshgaran G, Lo AY, Paik CB, Cooper MN, Sung C, Jiao W, Park SY, Ni P, Yu RP, Vorobyova I, Jashashvili T, Hong YK, Kim GH, Conti PS, Chai Y, Wong AK. A Pre-clinical Animal Model of Secondary Head and Neck Lymphedema. Sci Rep. 2019 Dec 4;9(1):18264.
- Mayfield CK, Gould DJ, Wong A, Patel KM, Carey J. Value Improvement and Resource Utilization in Complex Abdominal Wall Reconstruction. Am Surg. 2019 Oct 1;85(10):1113-1117.
- Cooper MN, Daneshgaran G, Yu R, Chang J, Vartanian E, Shamsunder M, Mehrara BJ, Matros EM, Wong AK. Analysis of the Microsurgery Match from 2014 to 2018 Reveals Increased Competition for Microsurgery Fellowship Positions. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2019 Jul 14.
- Daneshgaran G, Paik CB, Cooper MN, Sung C, Lo A, Jiao W, Park SY, Kim GH, Hong YK, Wong AK. Prevention of postsurgical lymphedema via immediate delivery of sustained-release 9-cis retinoic acid to the lymphedenectomy site. J Surg Oncol. 2019 Jun 25. doi: 10.1002/jso.25587.
- Johnson MB, Niknam-Bienia S, Soundararajan V, Pang B, Jung E, Gardner DJ, Xu X, Park SY, Wang C, Chen X, Baker RY, Chen M, Hong YK, Li W, Wong AK. Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Isolated from Irradiated Human Skin Have Diminished Capacity for Proliferation, Differentiation, Colony Formation, and Paracrine Stimulation. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2019 Apr 24. doi: 10.1002/sctm.18-0112.
- Song EH, Milne CT, Hamm T, Mize J, Lebendiskaya N, Robinson S, Enza E, Schoenfeld DE, Whiston-Lemm, Wong AK, Ferreira L. A New Mobile-responsive Solution to Increase Patient Adherence: Instant Personalized Product Handouts. Wounds 2019;31(4):E21-E24.
- Perrault D, Manrique O J, Lee G, Carre AL, Oakes DA, Wong AK. Complex Reconstruction of the Knee with a Free Vertical Rectus Abdominis Flap after Periprosthetic Soft Tissue Necrosis. Cureus 11(1): e3969. January 28, 2019. DOI 10.7759/cureus.3969.
- Choi D, Park E, Jung E, Cha B, Lee S, Yu J, Kim PM, Lee S, Hong YJ, Koh CJ, Cho CW, Wu Y, Jeon NL, Wong AK, Shin L, Kumar SR, Bermejo-Moreno I, Srinivasan RS, Cho IT, Hong YK. Piezo1 incorporates mechanical force signals to genetic program that governs lymphatic valve development and maintenance. JCI Insight. 2019 Jan 24. pii: 125068. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.125068.
- Perrault DP, Lee GK, Park SY, Lee S, Choi D, Jung E, Seong YJ, Park EK, Sung C, Yu R, Bouz A, Pourmoussa A, Kim SJ, Hong YK, Wong AK. Small Peptide Modulation of Fibroblast Growth Factor Receptor 3- Dependent Postnatal Lymphangiogenesis. Lymphat Res Biol. 2019 Jan 16. doi: 10.1089/lrb.2018.0035
- Daneshgaran G, Cooper MN, Park J, Pimentel CG, Wong AK. Trochanteric pressure ulcers: preoperative management and reconstructive considerations. Ann Transl Med. Jan 2019.
- Vartanian ED, Lynn JV, Perrault DP, Wolfswinkel EM, Kaiser AM, Patel KM, Carey JN, Hsieh PC, Wong AK. Risk Factors Associated with Reconstructive Complications Following Sacrectomy. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018 Nov 5;6(11):e2002.
- Banks K, Squitieri L, Bramos A, Johnson MB, Gardner DJ, Pourmoussa AJ, Jung E, Lee GK, Perrault DP, Fedenko A, Kim GH, Han B, Hong YK, Kulber DA, Wong AK. Human Acellular Dermis as Spacer for SmallJoint Arthroplasty: Analysis of Revascularization in a Rabbit Trapeziectomy Model. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Sep;142(3):679-686.
- Perrault DP, Bramos A, Xu X, Shi S, Wong AK. Local Administration of Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist Improves Diabetic Wound Healing. Ann Plast Surg. 2018 Mar 16.