Elena Forouhar, M.D.
Elena Forouhar, M.D., is an assistant clinical professor in the department of Clinical Diabetes, Endocrinology & Metabolism.
Dr. Forouhar has had extensive clinical and research training. After earning her medical doctorate from Tehran University of Medical Sciences in Iran, she shifted her focus to research. Dr. Forouhar served as research coordinator of the Islet Cell Transplantation Project at Tehran University of Medical Sciences before becoming a research associate in the Islet Cell Transplantation Lab at Leslie & Susan Goldschmied Diabetes & Genetic Research Center of City of Hope. Dr. Forouhar continued her training with an internal medicine internship and residency and an endocrinology fellowship at Medstar Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore, MD.
Board-certified in internal medicine and endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism, Dr. Forouhar holds active memberships with several professional societies including the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the American Diabetes Association, and the American Society of Obesity Medicine. She has published and presented internationally on her main areas of interest in endocrinology, which include diabetes, obesity and metabolism, thyroid function and bone and mineral metabolism and osteoporosis.
- 2016-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Clinical Diabetes, Endocrinology & Metabolism, City of Hope
- 2015 - 2016, Chief of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes Division, Doctors’ Community Hospital, Lanham, MD
- 2013 - 2016, Endocrinologist, Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate at Doctors’ Community Hospital, Lanham, MD
- 2007 - 2008, Research Associate, Islet Cell Transplantation Lab, Leslie & Susan Gonda (Goldschmied) Diabetes & Genetic Research Center, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2005 - 2007, Research Coordinator of Islet Cell Transplantation Project, Diabetes, Endocrine & Metabolism Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
- 2005 - 2007, Research Associate of Diabetes and Islet Cell Core, Diabetes, Endocrine & Metabolism Research Center, Shariati University Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
- 2001, Medical School, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
- 2011 - 2013, Endocrinology Fellowship, Medstar Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- 2008 - 2011, Internal Medicine Residency, Medstar Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- 2013, Board Certified in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- 2011, Board Certified in Internal Medicine
- 2011, Full Licensure, Maryland Board of Physicians
- 2007, ECFMG Certificate
- Forouhar E, Mansur S. Overview of the Approach to Obesity as a Disease by Physicians (Primary Care Physicians and Endocrinologists) at Medstar Union Memorial Hospital Outpatient Clinics. Poster Presentation in American College Of Physicians, Maryland Regional Meeting. December 2013.
- Forouhar E, Sack AP. Oral Presentation: A Case of Multiple Insufficiency Fracture in Adult Male. Santa Fe Bone Symposium, Santa Fe, NM. August 9th 2012. Forouhar Elena, Sack A. Paul. Review article: Non-Traditional Therapies for Diabetes: Fact or Fiction. Journal of Community Hospital Internal Medicine Perspect; 2012, 2: 18447 – DOI: 10.3402/jchimp. V2i2. 18447.
- Forouhar E, Sack A. Oral Presentations: A Case of Giant Bilateral Adrenal Masses in an Adult Male. Maryland Endocrine Society Meeting, Fellow Presentation. May 2012.
- Forouhar E, Mitsani D. Case report: Sporadic Urban Leptospirosis, J Comm Hos Intern Med Perspect; 2011, 1: 7042 - DOI: 10.3402/jchimp.v1i1.7042
- Sarabchi F, Forouhar E, Campbell W, Schocket L. Poster presentation: Acute Retinal Necrosis, A Cost Of Anti-TNF Therapy. American College Of Physicians, Maryland Region Annual Associates Meeting, May 2010
- Bilbao S, Forouhar E, Young C, Shiang KD, Bentsi-Barnes K, Kandeel F, Forman B, Al- Abdullah IH. Simple and Sensitive Quantitative Method to Assess Human Islets: Using a Single Step Reagent to Extract ATP, DNA, Insulin and Protein, Xenotransplanation volume 16, number 5, 345, 2009. Also oral presentation at International pancreas and islet transplantation association (IPITA-IXA); October 12-16, 2009. Venice, Italy.
- Bilbao S, Young C, Forouhar E, Kandeel F, Forman B, Al-Abdullah IH. Quantification of Total ATP to Assess Human Islet Cell Viability. Poster presentation: 9th Annual Rachmiel Levine Diabetes and Obesity Symposium; Advances in Diabetes Biology, Immunology and Cell Therapy; March 18-21 2009, Anaheim, CA.
- Nduoguib C, Aguilar T, Forouhar E, Ferreri K, Al-Abdullah IH. Ecotin a Novel Thermolysin and Neutral Protease Activator and an Inhibitor of Pancreatic Endogenous Protease. Poster Presentation: 9th Annual Rachmiel Levine Diabetes and Obesity Symposium; Advances in Diabetes Biology, Immunology and Cell Therapy; March 18-21 2009, Anaheim, CA.
- Scott S, Maurice M, Forouhar E, Aguilar T, Al-Abdullah IH, Ferreri K. Induction of IL-10 Secretion by the Bacterial Protease Inhibitor Ecotin. Poster Presentation: 9th Annual Rachmiel Levine Diabetes and Obesity Symposium; Advances in Diabetes Biology, Immunology and Cell Therapy; March 18-21 2009, Anaheim, CA.
- Forouhar E, Shomali M. “Long-term Pramlinitide Therapy in Diabetes”, Poster Presentation: Maryland chapter ACP Meeting, March 2009.
- Forouhar E, Sharghi S, Larijani B. Islet Cell after Kidney Transplantation Project Grant: June 2006. Procuring Funding for Establishment of the Project.
- Forouhar E, Sharghi S, Larijani B. “Patient Guide to Islet Cell Transplant; Pre and Post- Procedure Preparation”, June 2006.
- Forouhar E, Kheradvar A, Ghafourian K. Farsi Translation of the book“Molecular and Cellular
- Immunology” by Abul-Abbas, 3rd edition, Winning the first prize in student’s publications yearly competition.
- 2012 - Present, The Obesity Society
- 2011 - Present, American Diabetes Association
- 2011 - Present, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- 2009 - Present, Endocrine society
- 2009 - Present, American College of Physicians Associate