Frequently Asked Questions About Hope Virtual
Your health care team will work with you to schedule your Hope Virtual televisits. Not all types of care are appropriate for a televisit via Hope Virtual. Depending on the need, an in-person visit may still be required.
You will need to create or use your existing MyCityofHope account* to connect to your appointment. You can also access appointments via the City of Hope app on your mobile device. Additionally, you will need access to the internet through a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection, and a working email address.
*At the time of your appointment if you have not signed up for a MyCityofHope account, your provider will text or email you a visit link before your appointment.
To use Hope Virtual on your mobile device, ensure that your device meets the requirements below.
- iPhone and Android phones: Video is supported over Wi-Fi and with some cellular networks.
- iPad: Video is supported over Wi-Fi and with some cellular networks
- 64-Bit Microsoft Windows 7, 8.1, 10
- Minimum of 4 GB of RAM
- For SD video: a processor capable of running at speeds 1.5 GHz or higher
- For HD video: a quad-core processor capable of running at speeds 2.4GHz or higher
- OS X 10.13 or newer
- At least 2 GB of RAM installed
- A G4 or Intel processor
- Browser Requirements for Mobile:
- Android – Chrome/
- iOS (iPhone, iPad) – Safari
- Browser Requirements for Desktop:
- Windows – Chrome, Edge Chromium
- Mac – Chrome, Safari
If your provider recommends a televisit, your care team will schedule your visit and you will receive a MyCityofHope activation email
You can also sign up for a MyCityofHope account at MyCityofHope.org.
When it is time for your televisit, find a quiet and private location where you are unlikely to be disturbed.
You can check in for your televisit up to 30 minutes before your scheduled time. To check in, log into the City of Hope app on your mobile device or your MyCityofHope account on your computer and click on the “Visits” section located in the menu bar.*
*If you do not have a MyCityofHope account at the time of your appointment, you will receive a text message or email with a link to join your Hope Virtual televisit with your provider.
15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time you may receive a call from a member of our care team who will gather some general information before you meet with your provider. We recommend logging into your MyCityofHope Account prior to your appointment just to make sure your camera and internet are working properly before your televisit begins.
You can access the MyCityofHope Patient Portal to upload an image by clicking
Messaging > Ask a Question > New Medical Question.
- Enter the recipient (the provider who is requesting the image) and subject.
- Choose “Attach An Image or Video” to choose a file from your computer, smartphone, or tablet to upload.
- Click “Send”.
- For guidance on how to take high quality, clinically helpful photographs, please visit www.dermpics.com.
- If you do not have a MyCityofHope account, you can create an account here.
Your care team may ask you to upload a photo to the MyCityofHope patient portal. Here's how.
Yes. Hope Virtual is designed to be private, secure and HIPAA-compliant to safely and confidentially connect you with your health care team online.
Yes. If you wish to have an additional person participate in your televisit, you can. Your loved one can be in the same room or you can request that he or she is added to your appointment from a remote location. Let a member of your care team know at the time of your televisit that you wish to have an additional person participate.