Jyoti Malhotra, M.D., M.P.H.
Medical oncologist Jyoti Malhotra, M.D., M.P.H., centers her philosophy of care on learning as much as possible about each patient—what is important to them, the challenges they face, and the therapeutic approach they want to take—as well as the details of their disease. She aims to free them up to focus on healing while she and her colleagues take care of things such as navigating the system and keeping the care plan moving in the right direction.
In her capacity as director of thoracic medical oncology at the Lennar Foundation Cancer Center at City of Hope Orange County, she is excited about offering patients an expansive slate of early-phase clinical trials to offer more people access to new therapies. Dr. Malhotra’s expertise is in Experimental Therapeutics and she has led multiple phase I trials investigating novel agents and combinations for cancer therapy including first-in-human trials. She aims to bring together advances in precision medicine, which targets treatment to the molecular and genetic characteristics of each tumor, and immunotherapy, which harnesses the body’s natural defenses to fight cancer. Dr. Malhotra leads multiple investigator initiated clinical trials as well as a national trial sponsored by the National Cancer Institute- Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program (CTEP). She has authored more than 100 publications, book chapters and abstracts.
Dr. Malhotra earned her medical degree from Maulana Azad Medical College at the University of Delhi in India, and then a master’s from the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins University. She was an internal medicine resident at Georgetown University/Washington Hospital Center and an oncology/hematology fellow at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York. Her previous appointments were at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Mount Sinai, and, most recently, Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, where she was leader of the Phase I/Investigational Therapeutics program.
Fluent in Hindi, Dr. Malhotra dedicates her time away from cancer care and research to family, travel, and cooking.
- Medical Oncology/Expiration: 12/2025
- Hematology/Expiration: 12/2026
- 2006, M.P.H., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD.
- 2005, M.B.B.S (M.D. equivalent), University of Delhi, India
- 2012-2015, Hematology and Oncology, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai/Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
- 2006-2009, Internal Medicine Residency, Georgetown University Hospital/ Washington Hospital Center, Washington DC
- 2022-present, Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research; Director, Thoracic Medical Oncology, City of Hope Orange County, CA
- 2021 – 2022, Associate Professor, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ
- 2015 – 2022, Attending, Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey
- 2015 – 2021, Assistant Professor, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ
- 2015 – 2016, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY
- 2010 – 2012, Instructor, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York NY
- 2020, Program for Early Career Excellence (PECE), Rutgers University
- 2019, OASIS Leadership program, Rutgers University
- 2016, Young Investigator’s Forum in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- 2015, Young Investigator Award, ASCO Conquer Cancer Foundation
- 2014, AACR-Millennium Scholar-in-Training Award
- 2011, ‘Stephen Shalet’ prize for best oral presentation at European Symposium on Late Complications after Childhood Cancer, Amsterdam
- 2008, Research poster winner in the National meeting of ACP, Washington DC
- 2007, 1st prize in oral research presentation at American College of Physicians’ (ACP) Meeting, Bethesda
- 2019 – Present, Member, International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC)
- 2018 – Present, Member, Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC)
- 2015 – Present, Member, American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- 2015 – Present, Member, American Society of Oncology (ASCO)
- 2014 – Present, Member, Molecular Epidemiology working group (AACR )
- 2013 – 2015, Associate Member, American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- 2012 – 2015, Associate Member, American Society of Oncology (ASCO)
- 2012 – 2015, Associate Member, American Society of Hematology
- 2011 – 2013, Member, NY Chapter American College of Physicians’ (ACP) Health and Public Policy Committee
- 2007 – 2013, Member, American College of Physicians (ACP)
- Malhotra J, Nikolinakos P, Leal T, Lehman J, Morgensztern D, Patel J, Wrangle J, Curigliano G, Dansin E, Greillier L, Johnson M, Ready N, Robinet G, Lally S, Maag D, Valenzuela R, Blot V, Besse B. A Phase I/II Study of Rovalpituzumab Tesirine (Rova-T) in Combination with Nivolumab ± Ipilimumab in Patients with Previously Treated Extensive-stage Small Cell Lung Cancer. J Thorac Onco. 2021 Feb 27.
- Zhang J, Zhang L, Luo J, Ge T, Fan P, Sun L, Hou L, Li J, Yu H, Wu C, Zhu Y, Wu C, Jiang G, Troncone G, Malhotra J, Okuda K, Santarpia M, Zamarchi R, Goto T, Cardona AF, Xu J, Chen Q, Zhang Z, Zhang P. Comprehensive genomic profiling of combined small cell lung cnacer. Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2021 Feb;10(2):636-650.
- Khan A, Misdary C, Yegya-Raman N, Kim S, Narayanan N, Siddiqui S, Salgame P, Radbel J, Groote F, Michel C, Mehnert J, Hernandez C, Braciale T, Malhotra J, Gentile M, Jabbour S. Monteleukast in hospitalized patients diagnosed with COVID-19. J Asthma. 2021 Feb 12:1-13.
- Markowitz P, Patel M, Groisberg R, Aisner J, Jabbour S, De S, Ganesan S, Malhotra J. Genomic Characterization of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma and Associated Clinical Outcomes. Cancer Treat Res Commun. 2020;25:100232.
- Bertino E, Gentzler R, Clifford S, Kolesar J, Muzikansky A, Haura E, Piotrowska Z, Camidge D, Stinchcombe T, Hann C, Malhotra J, Villaruz L, Paweletz C, Lau C, Sholl L, Takebe N, Moscow J, Shapiro J, Janne P, Oxnard G. Phase IB study of osimertinib in combination with navitoclax in EGFR-mutant NSCLC following resistance to initial EGFR therapy (ETCTN 9903). Clin Cancer Res. 2020 Dec 29.
- Wang S, Khullar K, Kim S, Yegya-Raman N, Malhotra J, Groisberg R, Crayton S, Silk A, Nosher J, Gentile M, Mehnert J, Jabbour S. Effect of cyclo-oxygenase inhibitor use during checkpoint blockade immunotherapy in patinets with metastatic melanoma and non-small cell lung cancer. J Immunother Cancer. 2020 Oct;8(2):e000889.
- Gaines D, Yegya-Raman N, Kim S, Simone C, Ross M, Lam S, Feigenberg S, Osorio B, Nie K, Zou W, Patel M, Malhotra J, Langenfeld J, Aisner J, Jabbour S. Tumor volume reduction evaluated by cone beam computed tomography during stereotactic body radiotherapy for early stage non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Dis. 2020 May:12 (5):2482-2488.
- Yang A, Goldin D, Nova J, Malhotra J, Cantor J, Tsui J. Racial disparities in health care utilization at the end-of-life among New Jersey Medicaid beneficiaries with advanced cancer. JCO Oncol Pract. 2020.
- Jabbour S, Berman A, Decker R, Lin Y, Feigenberg S, Gettinger S, Aggarwal C, Langer C, Simone C 2nd, Bradley J, Aisner J, Malhotra J. Phase 1 Trial of Pembrolizumab Administered Concurrently With Chemoradiotherapy for Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Nonrandomized Controlled Trial. JAMA Oncol. 2020 Feb 20.
- Newman J, Chesson C, Herzog N, Bommareddy P, Aspromonte S, Pepe R, Estupinian R, Aboelatta M, Buddhadev S, Tarabichi S, Lee M, Li S, Medina D, Giurini E, Gupta K, Guevara-Aleman G, Rossi M, Nowicki C, Abed A, Goldufsky J, Broucek J, Redondo R, Rotter D, Jhawar S, Wang S, Kohlhapp F, Kaufman H, Thomas P, Gupta V, Kuzel T, Reiser J, Paras J, Kane M, Singer E, Malhotra J, Denzin L, Sant'Angelo D, Rabson A, Lee L, Lasfar A, Langenfeld J, Schenkel J, Fidler M, Ruiz E, Marzo A, Rudra J, Silk A, Zloza A. Intratumoral injection of the seasonal flu shot converts immunologically cold tumors to hot and serves as an immunotherapy for cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020 Jan 14;117(2):1119-1128.
- Sharma A, Merritt E, Hu X, Cruz A, Jiang C, Sarkodie H, Zhou Z, Malhotra J, Riedlinger G, De S. Non-Genetic Intra-Tumor Heterogeneity Is a Major Predictor of Phenotypic Heterogeneity and Ongoing Evolutionary Dynamics in Lung Tumors. Cell Rep. 2019 Nov 19;29(8):2164-2174.
- Malhotra J, Jabbour S, Orlick M, Riedlinger G, Guo Y, White E, Aisner J. Phase Ib/II study of hydroxychloroquine in combination with chemotherapy in patients with metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Cancer Treat Res Commun. 2019;21:100158.
- Mehnert J, Kaveney A, Malhotra J, Spencer K, Portal D, Goodin S, Tan A, Aisner J, Moss R, Lin H, Bertino J, Gibbon D, Doyle L, White E, Stein M. A phase I trial of MK-2206 and hydroxychloroquine in patients with advanced solid tumors. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2019 Oct;84(4):899-907.
- Yegya-Raman N, Aisner J, Kim S, Sayan M, Li D, Langenfeld J, Patel M, Malhotra J, Jabbour S. Synchronous Oligometastatic Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Managed With Curative-Intent Chemoradiation Therapy: Long-term Outcomes From a Single Institution. Adv Radiat Oncol. 2019 Mar 22;4(3):541-550.
- Stein M, Malhotra J, Silk A, Chan N, Rodriguex L, Aisner J, Aiken R, Mayer T, Haffty B, Newman J, Aspromonte S, Bommareddy P, Chesson C, Sadimin E, Li S, Medina D, Saunders T, Frankel M, Kareddula A, Damare D, Wesolowsky E, Gabel C, El-Deiry W, Tarapore R, Allen J, Stogniew M, Oster W, Bertino J, Libutti S, Mehnert J, Zloza A. Safety and Enhanced Immunostimulatory Activity of the DRD2 Antagonist ONC201 in Advanced Solid Tumor Patients with Weekly Oral Administration. J Immunother Cancer. 2019 May 22;7(1): 136.
- Osorio B, Yegya-Raman N, Kim S, Simone C, Theodorou R, Deek M, Gaines D, Zou W, Lin L, Malhotra J, Nie K, Aisner J, Jabbour D. Clinical significance of pretreatment tumor growth rate for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Ann Transl Med, 2019 Mar;7(5):95.
- Malhotra J, Rotter D, Jabbour SK, Aisner J, Lin Y, Manne S, Demissie K. Receipt of recommended surveillance with imaging in elderly survivors of early stage non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2018 Nov;125:205-211.
- Yegya-Raman N, Reyhan M, Kim S, Deek MP, Yue N, Zou W, Malhotra J, Aisner J, Jabbour SK. Association of Target Volume Margins with Locoregional Control and Acute Toxicities for Non-small cell lung cancer Treated with Concurrent Chemoradiation Therapy. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2019 Jan;9(1):e74-e82.
- Yegya-Raman N, Wang K, Kim S, Reyhan M, Deek MP, Sayan M, Li D, Patel M, Malhotra J, Aisner J, Marks LB, Jabbour SK. Dosimetric Predictors of Symptomatic Cardiac Events After Conventional-Dose Chemoradiation Therapy for Inoperable NSCLC. J Thorac Oncol. 2018 Oct;13(10):1508-1518.
- Deek MP, Kim S, Beck R, Yegya-Raman N, Langenfeld J, Malhotra J, Mahmoud O, Aisner J, Jabbour SK. Variations in Initiation Dates of Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy for Definitive Management of Inoperable Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Are Associated With Decreases in Overall Survival. Clin Lung Cancer. 2018 Mar 17.
- Newman JH, Augeri DJ, NeMoyer R, Malhotra J, Langenfeld E, Chesson CB, Dobias NS, Lee MJ, Tarabichi S, Jhawar SR, Bommareddy PK, Marshall S, Sadimin ET, Kerrigan JE, Goedken M, Minerowicz C, Jabbour SK, Li S, Carayannopolous MO, Zloza A, Langenfeld J. Novel bone morphogenetic protein receptor inhibitor JL5 suppresses tumor cell survival signaling and induces regression of human lung cancer. Oncogene. 2018 Apr 6.
- Yegya-Raman N, Kim S, Deek MP, Li D, Gupta A, Bond L, Dwivedi A, Braver JK, Reyhan M, Mittal A, Gui B, Malhotra J, Aisner J, Jabbour SK. Daily Image Guidance With Cone Beam Computed Tomography May Reduce Radiation Pneumonitis in Unresectable Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018 Mar 30.
- Panda A, Mehnert JM, Hirshfield KM, Riedlinger G, Damare S, Saunders T, Kane M, Sokol L, Stein MN, Poplin E, Rodriguez-Rodriguez L, Silk AW, Aisner J, Chan N, Malhotra J, Frankel M, Kaufman HL, Ali S, Ross JS, White EP, Bhanot G, Ganesan S. Immune Activation and Benefit From Avelumab in EBV-Positive Gastric Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2017 Nov 15.
- Ma R, Levy M, Gui B, Lu SE, Narra V, Goyal S, Danish S, Hanft S, Khan AJ, Malhotra J, Motwani S, Jabbour SK. Risk of leptomeningeal carcinomatosis in patients with brain metastases treated with stereotactic radiosurgery. J Neurooncol. 2018 Jan;136(2):395-401.
- Malhotra J, Borron C, Freedman ND, Abnet CC, van den Brandt PA, White E, Milne RL, Giles GG, Boffetta P. Association between Cigar or Pipe Smoking and Cancer risk in Men: A Pooled Analysis of Five Cohort Studies. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2017 Sep 28.