Mina S. Sedrak, M.D., M.S.
- Medical Oncology
- Breast Oncology
- Cancer and Aging Research
- Inclusion of Older Adults in Clinical Trials
- Behavioral & Social Sciences Research
- Social Media and Digital Health
- Innovations in health care delivery
Mina S. Sedrak, M.D., M.S., is an assistant professor specializing in breast oncology in the Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research.
Dr. Sedrak earned his undergraduate degree in biological sciences from the University of Chicago, then went on to receive his medical doctorate from Rush Medical College, also in Chicago, where he was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) National Medical Honor Society. He completed a Master of Science degree in Health Policy Research from Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Sedrak successfully completed postgraduate training with an internship and a residency in internal medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He furthered this training with four distinct fellowships within the University of Pennsylvania: a hematology/oncology fellowship; a research fellowship in the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics; a clinical fellowship in the Center for Healthcare Improvement and Patient Safety; and a Measey Medical Education Fellowship in the Department of Medicine.
Board-certified in internal medicine and medical oncology, Dr. Sedrak is the recipient of numerous honors and awards. Of specific note, he earned the Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award presented by The Arnold P. Gold Foundation, the Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO Merit Award, the Excellence in Quality and Safety Leadership Award from the University of Pennsylvania Health System, and the Penn Pearls Teaching Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching from the Perelman School of Medicine at University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Sedrak’s research focuses on studying the mechanisms by which social media and mobile technology can enhance individual and population health behaviors and outcomes in oncology. He serves on various academic and institutional committees and has written several peer-reviewed publications and abstracts.
- Mina S. Sedrak @MinaSedrakMD
- 2016 – Present, Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- Breast Cancer
- Cancer Control & Population Sciences
- 2015, MS, Health Policy Research, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2010, MD, Medicine, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL
- 2006, BA, Biological Sciences, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 2015 - 2016, Measey Medical Education Fellow in Department of Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2014 - 2016, Clinical Fellow, Center for Healthcare Improvement and Patient Safety, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2013 -2016, Research Fellow, Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2013 - 2016, Fellow, Hematology-Oncology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2011 - 2013, Resident, Internal Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2010 - 2011, Intern, Internal Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2016, American Board of Internal Medicine Certified, Medical Oncology
- 2013, American Board of Internal Medicine Certified, Internal Medicine
- Sedrak MS, Dizon DS, Anderson PF, Fisch MJ, Graham DL, Katz MS, Kesselheim JC, Miller RS, Thompson MA, Utengen A, Attai DJ. The Emerging Role of Professional Social Media Use in Oncology. Future Oncology. 2017: Published online June 7. PMID: 28589770.
- Sedrak MS, Myers JS, Small DS, Nachamkin I, Ziemba JB, Murray D, Kurtzman GW, Zhu J, Wang W, Mincarelli D, Danoski D, Wells BP, Berns JS, Brennan PJ, Hanson CW, Dine CJ, Patel MS. Effect of a Price Transparency Intervention in the Electronic Health Record on Clinician Ordering of Inpatient Laboratory Tests: The PRICE Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2017.
- Sedrak MS, Patel MS, Ziemba JB, Murray D, Kim EJ, Dine CJ, Myers JS. Residents’ Self-report on Why They Order Perceived Unnecessary Inpatient Laboratory Tests. Journal of Hospital Medicine. Aug 2016. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 27520384.
- Attai DJ, Sedrak MS*, Katz MS, Thomspon MA, Anderson PF, Kesselheim JC, Fisch MJ, Graham DL, Utengen A, Johnston C, Miller RS, Dizon DS. Social Media in Cancer Care: Highlights, Challenges and Opportunities. Future Oncology. 12(13):1549-52, Jul 2016. PMID: 27025657. [*Co-first author]
- Sedrak MS, Cohen RB, Merchant RM, Schapira MM. Cancer Communication in the Social Media Age. JAMA Oncology. 1;2(6):822-3, Jun 2016. PMID: 26940041.
- Rubin DT, Huo D, Kinnucan JA, Sedrak MS, McCullom NE, Bunnag AP, Raun-Royer EP, Cohen RD, Hanauer SB, Hart J, Turner JR. Inflammation Is an Independent Risk Factor for Colonic Neoplasia in Patients With Ulcerative Colitis: A Case-Control Study. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 11(12): 1601-8, Dec 2013. PMID: 23872237.
- Barbieri JS, Seshasai R, Shemesh A, Sedrak MS, Hoffman B, Alley EW. Thymic Neuroendocrine Tumor Presenting with the Ectopic ACTH Syndrome. Journal of Thoracic Oncology. 8(6): e57-8, Jun 2013. PMID: 23676563.
- 2017 - Present, Southwest Oncology Group
- 2017 - Present, Cancer and Aging Research Group
- 2015 - Present, Alliance of Academic Internal Medicine
- 2013 - Present, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- 2013 - Present, American Society of Hematology
- 2009 - 2013 American College of Physicians
- 2006 - 2010, American Medical Association, President, Medical Student Section, Rush Medical College Chapter, 2007 - 2008
- 2017, NIH/NCI Paul Calabresi Career Development Award (K12)
- 2017, Dr. Charles A. Coltman, Jr., Fellowship Award, SWOG
- 2017, NIA Butler-Williams Scholar
- 2017, Waisman Innovation Award, City of Hope
- 2016, Conquer Cancer Foundation of American Society of Clinical Oncology Merit Award
- 2015, Quality and Safety Award, Honorable Mention, University of Pennsylvania Health Systems
- 2015, First Place Prize, Award of Excellence for Research Poster, Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine
- 2015, Excellence in Quality and Safety Leadership, University of Pennsylvania Health System
- 2014, Penn Pearls Teaching Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching, Perelman School of Medicine University of Pennsylvania
- 2013, Maurice F. Attie Senior Resident Teaching Award, Department of Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- 2010, Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award, The Arnold P. Gold Foundation
- 2010, William H. Harrison, Ph.D. Award in Leadership, Rush Medical College
- 2010, Ortho Sprague/Whitney Addington Award in Community Service, Rush Medical College
- 2010, James A. Schoenberger, MD Prize in Preventative Medicine, Rush Medical College
- 2009, Gold Humanism Honor Society, Rush Medical College
- 2009, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Rush Medical College
- 2009, Robert Ryan, MD Excellence Scholarship for outstanding clinical performance, Rush Medical College
- 2008, Leonidas H. Berry, MD Excellence Scholarship for preclinical performance, Rush Medical College