Pooja Manroa, M.D.
Fascinated by the physiology of the endocrine system, Pooja Manroa, M.D., chose a career in medicine because it enabled her to combine her love of life sciences with the ability to help others. She firmly believes in the mission and values of City of Hope, which include providing patients with high quality and compassionate care.
Dr. Manroa completed her medical school training in Mumbai, India, where she graduated with honors, followed by an internal medicine residency at the prestigious Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Ohio. She completed her fellowship training in endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism with a focus on thyroid neoplasia at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, where she had the distinct honor and privilege of being clinical director of the thyroid unit.
Dr. Manroa specializes in endocrinology and uses a systematic and methodical approach to diagnosing and treating endocrine disorders. In addition to being board certified in internal medicine and endocrinology, she is certified in performing office-based diagnostic thyroid and cervical lymph node ultrasound exams and ultrasound-guided biopsies. She is also certified in interpreting bone-density exams (DKA scans).
Beyond her work treating patients directly, Dr. Manroa has been a member of the multidisciplinary thyroid center, where she trained fellows and conducted multiple research projects focused on improving the preoperative diagnosis of thyroid nodules. She has also volunteered for various public health programs, including polio eradication, tuberculosis treatment, and primary school health inspection and immunization programs in Mumbai, India.
Fluent in English and Hindi and proficient in understanding Punjabi and Urdu, Dr. Manroa believes in partnering with her patients to provide them with the latest evidence-based medical care and personalized treatment plans based on each patient's needs and circumstances.
- 2018, Endocrine Certification in Neck Ultrasound (ECNU)
- 2016, ABIM- Endocrinology, Diabetes, & Metabolism Certification
- 2016, Certified Clinical Densitometrist (CCD)
- 2014, American Board of Internal Medicine- Internal Medicine Certification
- 2010, Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
- 2009, Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Topiwala National Medical College, Mumbai, India
- 2016, Fellowship, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2014, Residency, Internal Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio
- July 2022-Present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Diabetes, Endocrinology & Metabolism, City of Hope National Medical Center
- July 2022-Present, Site Program Director, Endocrinology fellowship, City of Hope National Medical Center
- August 2020-June 2022, Assistant Professor, Division of Endocrinology University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston TX
- August 2020-June 2022, Associate Program Director, Endocrinology fellowship, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston TX
- July 2016 - July 2020, Clinical Assistant Professor, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburg, PA
- July 2019 - July 2020, Director Thyroid Unit, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Pittsburgh, PA
- July 2018 - July 2019, Clinical lead Quality/Value, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Pittsburgh, PA
- July 2018 - July 2019, Associate Program Director (Quality), Endocrinology Fellowship Program, University of Pittsburg Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2016, Best Poster (Clinical Research), Department of Medicine Research Day, UPMC
- 2014, Cleveland Clinic Educational Foundation Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2009, Honors in Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Forensic Medicine and ENT in Medical School
- 2018- present, American Thyroid Association
- 2016- present, International Society for Clinical Densitometry
- 2012- present, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- 2012- present, Endocrine Society
- Doerfler, W. R., Nikitski, A. V., Morariu, E. M., Ohori, N. P., Chiosea, S. I., Landau, M. S., Nikiforova, M., Nikiforov, Y. E., Yip, L., & Manroa, P. Molecular alterations in Hürthle cell nodules and preoperative cancer risk, Endocrine-Related Cancer, , ERC-20-0435. Retrieved Apr 4, 2021
- Morariu, E. M., McCoy, K. L., Chiosea, S. I., Nikitski, A. V., Manroa, P., Nikiforova, M. N., & Nikiforov, Y. E. (2021). Clinicopathologic Characteristics of Thyroid Nodules Positive for the THADA-IGF2BP3 Fusion on Preoperative Molecular Analysis. Thyroid, (ja).
- Carty, Sally E. MD∗; Ohori, N. Paul MD†; Hilko, Dane A. PA-C∗; McCoy, Kelly L. MD∗; French, Esra K. MD‡; Manroa, Pooja MD‡; Morariu, Elena MD‡; Sridharan, Shaum MD§; Seethala, Raja R. MD†; Yip, Linwah MD∗ The Clinical Utility of Molecular Testing in the Management of Thyroid Follicular Neoplasms (Bethesda IV Nodules), Annals of Surgery: October 2020 - Volume 272 - Issue 4 - p 621-627
- N. Paul Ohori, Michael S. Landau, Pooja Manroa, Karen E. Schoedel, Raja R. Seethala. Molecular-derived estimation of risk of malignancy for indeterminate thyroid cytology diagnoses, Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology, Volume 9, Issue 4,2020
- N. Paul Ohori, Michael Landau, Sally Carty, Linwah Yip, Shane LeBeau, Pooja Manroa, Raja Seethala, Karen Schoedel, Marina Nikiforova, Yuri Nikiforov. Benign Call Rate of ThyroSeq v3 Molecular Test. Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology, Cancer Cytopathology. 2019 Mar;127(3):161-168. doi: 10.1002/cncy.22088
- Neha D. Karajgikar, Pooja Manroa, Runa Acharya, Ronald A. Codario, Jodie A. Reider, Amy C. Donihi,Rose A. Salata, and Mary T. Korytkowski (2019) Addressing Pitfalls in Management of Diabetic Ketoacidosis with a standardized protocol. Endocrine Practice. 2019 May;25(5):407-412. doi: 10.4158/EP-2018-0398.
- Knapp S, Manroa P, Doshi K. Self-monitoring of blood glucose: Advice for providers and patients. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2016 May;83(5):355-60
- Yogi-Morren D, Galioto R, Strandjord SE, Kennedy L, Manroa P, Kirwan JP, Kashyap S, Gunstad J. Duration of type 2 diabetes and very low-density lipoprotein levels are associated with cognitive dysfunction in metabolic syndrome. Cardiovascular Psychiatry and Neurology, 2014; 2014:656341.
- Odronic S, Quraishy N, Manroa P, Kier Y, Koo A, Figueroa P, Hamilton A. Cocaine-induced microangiopathic hemolytic anemia mimicking idiopathic thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: A case report and review of the literature. Journal of Clinical Apheresis. 2014 10.1002/jca.21316
- Manroa P, Kannan S, Hatipoglu B, Licata A. Hypercalcemia and acromegaly - clarifying the connections. A case report and review of the literature. Endocrine Practice. 2014 May 1;20(5):e86-90.
- Manroa, P., Potoski, L., Martin, E. and Rao, R.H., 2016, June. Impact of Endocrine Care on Glycemic Management in Type 2 Diabetes (T2DM) Using either Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion (CSII) or Multiple Daily Insulin Injections (MDI). In DIABETES (Vol. 65, pp. A255-A255)
- Yogi-Morren D, Manroa P, Strandjord SE, Kennedy L, Hamaty M, Kirwan JP Gunstad J, Kashyap S. Cognitive Impairment in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome Is Related to Worsening Glycemia and Cardiovascular Factors. American Diabetes Association 2014, Diabetes 63, A125-A125
- Manroa P, Kannan S, Samat AG, Yogi-Morren D, Hamrahian AH, Hatipoglu BA. Persistent hypokalemia after bilateral adrenalectomy in a patient with ectopic cushings syndrome. Endocrine Reviews. 2013 Jun; Vol. 34 (03_MeetingAbstracts): SUN-42
- Manroa P, Kannan S, Nasr C. The Ugly Face of Vitamin D-Precipitating hypercalcemia in a Caucasian male with cutaneous sarcoidosis. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists Abstract-723, 2013
- Manroa P, Kannan S, Li-Ng M, Faiman C, Hamrahian, A. Adipsic Diabetes Insipidus: challenges in diagnosis and management – A case series. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) Abstract- 842, 2013
Other Published Materials
- Acharya N, Bena J, Manroa P, Kunwar S, Kannan S, Hamaty M. A New Approach to Assessing the Statin Therapy and Diabetes Link. Mar. 17, 2016 / Cleveland Clinic Consult QD.
- Manroa P, Challinor S. Familial Isolated Pituitary Adenomas. Endocrinology Update. Periodical from the UPMC Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism. Fall 2016.
- Aggarwal A, Atreja A, Vinch R, Manroa P, Carey W. Use of technology can improve hepatitis A and hepatitis B vaccination rates in chronic liver disease patients. American College of Gastroenterology (ACG), Oct 2012; Las vegas, NV.
- Manroa P, Kannan S, Nasr C. The ugly face of vitamin D-precipitating hypercalcemia in a caucasian male with cutaneous sarcoidosis. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) , May 2013; Phoenix, AZ.
- Manroa P, Kannan S, Li-Ng M, Faiman C, Hamrahian, A. Adipsic Diabetes Insipidus: challenges in diagnosis and management – A case series. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE), May 2013; Phoenix, AZ.
- Yogi-Morren D, Manroa P, Strandjord S, Kennedy L, Hamaty M, Kirwan JP, Gunstad J, Kashyap SR. Cognitive Impairment in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome