Tanyanika Phillips, M.D., M.P.H.
- Medical Oncology
- Thoracic Geriatric Oncology
- Palliative Care in Advanced Cancer Patients
- Care Management of Vulnerable Populations with Cancer (Populations with Special Needs – Elders, Co-morbid Illness, Socially Isolated and Rural Populations)
Areas of Expertise
- Lung Cancer
- Geriatric Oncology and Population Health
- Health Care Access
- Decision Making
- Palliative Care
- Community-based Participatory Research/Outreach to Achieve Health Equity in Underserved and Rural Populations
This is the most amazing doctor I have ever had. She sat and talked with me and my sister for over an hour. She ran tests that no one else had ... dug deeper than any doctor had and she got to the bottom of it. I love this doctor and there is no doubt in my mind she saved my life. - Patient
Tanyanika Phillips, M.D., M.P.H., knew by the age of 7 that she wanted to be a doctor. In her teens, she decided on oncology, after seeing her mother and aunt both battling cancer. She then chose to focus on geriatric oncology, believing the voices of older patients “were not well-represented despite being at the center of the conversation regarding cancer.”
Dr. Phillips received her medical degree from University of Rochester, followed by a geriatric fellowship and a Master in Public Health from Vanderbilt University. She continued her training with a medical oncology fellowship at Johns Hopkins University.
Originally headed toward a career in research and public health policy, Dr. Phillips pivoted to focus on patient care, where her prodigious gifts of empathy and compassion came to the surface.
Serving patients at our Antelope Valley facility, Dr. Phillips hopes to make a difference in the lives of her patients. “I am dedicated to the quality of care for elders with cancer,” she says, “innovative delivery systems of cancer care for elders and promoting policies that serve to improve cancer care services for elders.”
- 2019-present, Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2015-2019, Medical Oncologist, Christus St. Frances Cabrini Cancer Center, Alexandria, LA
- 2011-2015, Staff Physician, Hematology Oncology, LaFortune Cancer Center, St John Clinic/MD Anderson Cancer Network Facility, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 2007-2011, Assistant Professor, Thoracic Geriatric Oncology, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio
- 2004, M.P.H., Population Based Studies/Non-Experimental Design, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- 1998, M.D., University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY
- 1993, B.S., Biology, Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans, LA
- 2004-2007, Medical Oncology, Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- 2002-2004, K12 Research, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- 2001-2002, Geriatric Fellowship, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- 1998-2001, Internal Medicine, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA
- 2010, Medical Oncology
- 2001, Internal Medicine
- Towe TP, O'Toole E, Engelhardt K, Nagaiah G, Berger NA. “Changing Health Care Practices for Older Adults with Late Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC): Practical Considerations of Targeted Therapy in Primary Care and Oncology”. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009 Nov; 57 Suppl 2:S253-8.
- Koroukian SM, Xu F, Bakaki PM, Diaz-Insua M, Towe TP, Owusu C. “Comorbidities, Functional Limitations, and Geriatric Syndromes in Relation to Treatment and Survival Patterns Among Elders With Colorectal Cancer.” J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009 Dec 16.
- Kypriotakis G, Francis L, O’Toole E, Towe TP, Rose JH. “Preferences for Aggressive Care In Underserved Populations with Advanced-Stage Lung Cancer: Looking Beyond Race and Resuscitation” Supportive Care in Cancer May 2014, Volume 22, Issue 5, pp 1251–1259
- Ferrell BR, Temel JS, Temin S, Alesi ER, Balboni TA, Basch EM, Firn JI, Paice JA, Peppercorn JM, Phillips T, Stovall EL, Zimmermann C, Smith TJ. “Integration of Palliative Care into Standard Oncology Care”: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline Update J Clin Oncol 34 October 31 2016
- Smith CB, Phillips T, Smith TJ. Using the New ASCO Clinical Practice Guideline for Palliative Care Concurrent With Oncology Care Using the TEAM Approach. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2017;37:714-723.
- Brahmer JR, Lacchetti C, Schneider BJ, Atkins MB, Brassil KJ, Caterino JM, Chau I Ernstoff MS, Gardner JM, Ginex P, Hallmeyer S, Holter Chakrabarty J, Leighl NB, Mammen JS, McDermott DF, Naing A, Nastoupil LJ, Phillips T, Porter LD, Puzanov I, Reichner CA, Santomasso BD, Seigel C, Spira A, Suarez-Almazor ME, Wang Y, Weber JS Wolchok JD, Thompson JA. “Management of Immune-Related Adverse Events in Patients Treated With Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Therapy: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline.” J Clin Oncol. 2018 Feb 14:
- 2014, Values in Action Champion, Presence, St John Medical Center
- 2014, Values in Action Champion, Wisdom, St John Medical Center
- 2012, Values in Action Champion, Human Dignity, St John Medical Center
- 2011, Unsung Hero Award for Commitment to Community Empowerment and Eliminating Health Care Disparities in Cleveland Ohio
- 2008-2011, Minority Faculty Development Award, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
- 2010, Advisory Council Chair Appointment Cleveland Office of Minority Health, Cleveland Department of Health
- 2008, Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition Kaleidoscope 40/40 Club Young Leaders in Ohio awarded by Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones
- 2006-2008, American Society of Clinical Oncology Young Investigator Award funded by the John A Hartford Foundation, “Predicting Treatment Failure in Elderly Patients with Non Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC)” July 1, 2006-June 30, 2007--PI: Tanyanika Phillips, M.D. M.P.H. Total amount of funding: $35,000
- 2002, American Medical Directors Association Futures Scholar
- 1998, Ochsner Medical Foundation – Community of Caring Award
- 1993, Xavier University – Honors in English and Biology
- 1993, Xavier University – magna cum laude
- 1990, Xavier University Preparatory – Valedictorian, honors in science and math