Wai-Yee Li, M.D., Ph.D.
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgeons
California Medical License
2002-2008, University of Manchester, England, Wound Healing and Craniofacial Development
2000-2001, Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, England, Senior SHO Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
1997-1999, The Royal Marsden and St. Heliers Hospital, Surrey, England, Basic Surgical Training
1990-1996, University of Birmingham Medical School, England, M.B., Ch.B., Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery
1994-1995, University of Birmingham, England, B.Sc., Pathological Studies, With Honors
2014-2015, Pediatric Plastic Surgery Fellow, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
2008-2014, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
1996-1997, Internship, Medicine and Surgery, Crawley Hospital, West Sussex, England
2021, Pasadena Magazine Top Doctor Award
2019, Top Doctors, Pasadena magazine
2014, Leonard R. Rubin, American Association of Plastic Surgeons Best Paper Award
2013, Southern California Clinical and Translational Institute Pilot Funding Award, Novel Methods and Technology: Tissue Engineered Auricle for Microtia Application
2012, The Operation Smile Stryker Fellowship to Fund Mission Trip to Fengkai, Guangzhou, China
2006, American College of Surgeons Excellence in Research Award
2003-2004, The Joint American College of Surgeons and Royal College of Surgeons of England USA Fellowship
2003, 3M/American Wound Healing Foundation Young Investigator Fellowship Award
2002-2003, Children's Hospital Los Angeles Research Institute Career
1995, Francis Brett Young Scholarship
1995, The University of Birmingham Graduate Travel Award
1995, The British Medical and Dental Students Trust Travel Award
1995, The Arthritis and Rheumatism Council Medal in Rheumatology
1994, The Arthritis and Rheumatism Council Scholarship
1994, The Medical Defense Union Elective Travel Award
1993, Medical School Best Essay Prize in Pathological Studies, University of Birmingham, England
Society of Asian Academic Surgeons
American Society of Plastic Surgeons
World Association of Plastic Surgeons of Chinese Descent
Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Li WY. Short Stay Management of Locally Advanced Breast Cancer Using Immediate Local Thoraco-Abdominal Advancement Flap and ERAS Protocol. Annals of Plastic Surgery. DOI: 10.1097/SAP.0000000000003140. May 2022.
- Huang S, Pareh, V, Waisman J, Jones V, Yuan Y, Vora N, Li, R, Jung J, Kruper L, Abullah F, Fong Y, Li WY. Cutaneous Metastasectomy: Is There a Role in Breast Cancer? A Systematic and Overview of Current Modalities. Journal of Surgical Oncology August 2022.
- Hauch A, McKee R, Li WY, Crowley JS, Ramamoorthy S, Dobke M. Rectovaginal Fistula Repair One Year Later: Lessons Learned. Accepted for Annals of Plastic Surgery, Dec 2020. PMID: 33346534.
- Burg M, Yamzon JC, Li WY. Full thickness Penile Skin Necrosis Following HIPEC: Case Report and Literature Review. Urology Case Reports. October 2020.PMID: 3308871
- Li WY, Andersen JC, Jung J, Andersen JS. Pyoderma Gangenosum After Abdominal Free Tissue Transfer for Breast Reconstruction: Case Series and Management Guidelines. Annals of Plastic Surgery. Jul 2019:83(1):63-69. PMID: 31095530.
- Yasmeh S, Li WY, Yang H, Ghiassi A. Firework-Related Hand Injuries: A Novel Classification System. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. May 2018: 35(5):897-899. PMID:28966074.
- Li WY, Poon A, Arneja J. Airway Management in Pierre Robin Sequence: The Vancouver Classification System. Canadian Journal of Plastic Surgery. Feb 2017: 25(1):14-20. PMID:29026807.
- Reinisch JF, Yu DC, Li WY. Getting a Valid Survey Response from 608 Academic Plastic Surgeons. Annals of Plastic Surgery. January 2016: 76(1):3-5. PMID:26418779.
- Reinisch JF, Li WY, Yu DC, Walker JW. Prevalence and Awareness of Authorship Issues: A Study of Academic Plastic Surgeons. Plast Reconstr Surg. Aug 2013: 132(2):303e-10e. PMID:23897358.
- Li WY, Rommer E, Kulber DA. Bilateral Spontaneous Flexor Digitorum Profundus Tendon Rupture of the Fifth Digit: Case Report and Literature Review. Hand. May 2013: 8: 239-241. PMID:24426927
- Li WY, Chaudry O, Reinisch JF. Guide to Early Surgical Management of Lip Hemangiomas Based On Our Experience of 214 cases. Plast Reconstr Surg. November 2011: 128 (5):1117 - 1124. PMID:21738083.
- Li WY, Reinisch JF. Pits, Cysts and Tumors. Plast Reconstr Surg. July 2009: 124 (1 Suppl):106e-116e. PMID: 19568144.
- Li WY, Dudas M, Kaartinen V. Signaling through Tgf-beta Type I Receptor Alk5 is Required for Upper Lip Fusion. Mechanisms of Development. 2008. 125 (9-10) 874-882. PMID 18586087.
- Yang LT, Li WY, Kaartinen, V. Tissue-specific expression of Cre recombinase from the Tgfb3 locus. Genesis. 2008. 46(2): 112-118. PMID 18257072.
- Dudas M, Li WY, Kim J, Yang A, Kaartinen V. Invited Review: Palatal Fusion - Where Do The Midline Cells Go? Acta Histochemica. January 2007: 109 (1-14). PMID 16962647.
- Dudas M, Kim J, Li WY, Nagy A, Larsson J, Karlsson S, Chai Y, Kaartinen V. Epithelial And Ectomesenchymal Role Of The Type I TGF-b Receptor Alk5 During Facial Morphogenesis And Palatal Fusion.,. Developmental Biology. Aug 2006: 296(2):298 - 314. PMID16806156.
- Li WY, Huang EY, Dudas M, Kaartinen V, Warburton D, Tuan TL. TGF-b3 Affects PAI-1 Expression In Fetal Mice And Modulates Fibroblast-Mediated Collagen Gel Contraction. Wound Repair Regeneration. June 2006: 14 516 - 525.
- Li WY, Chong SN, Huang EY, Tuan TL. The Plasminogen Activator/Plasmin System: A Major Player In Wound Healing? Wound Repair Regeneration. 2003: 11 (4) 239 -247.
- Burton S, Li WY, Eddy B, Reddy K, Aslam M, Owen ERTC, Weston J. Reliability Of Pre-Operative Biopsies In The Histological Grading Of Colorectal Adenocarcinomas. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 2003: 85 (1) 23-25.
- Burton S, Li WY, Himpson R, Sulieman S, Ball A. Microdochectomy In Women Aged Over 50 Years. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 2003: 85(1) 47-49.
- Li WY, Tomlinson MA, Bryson J, Gowland Hopkins NF. Case Report: Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma: A Hypervascular Tumor. Journal of Otology and Laryngology. August 2002: 116 647-649.
- Sherman R, Li WY. Master Techniques in Orthopedics: Fractures. Ed: Wiss, DA. Chapter 46: Gastrocnemius and Soleus Rotational Muscle Flaps: Soft-Tissue Coverage. 3rd Edition. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins. 2012.
- Reinisch JF, Li WY, Urata, M. Comprehensive Cleft Care. Eds. Losee J and Kirschner RE. Chapter 29: Complications of Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery. New York. McGraw-Hill. 2008.
- Campos A, Maniskas S, Li WY. Cancer Recurrence Surveillance After Goldilocks Mastectomy. Virtual Abstract Presentation American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress October 2021 (accepted).
- Staged Bilateral Delayed Breast Reconstruction After Fungating Breast Cancer Using Pedicled Latissimus Dorsi Myocutaneous Flaps and Silicone Implants. Submitted for SAAS Meeting, Chicago, IL September 2021 (pending).
- My Life as an Oncologic Plastic Reconstructive Surgeon. Women in STEM Virtual Conference, City of Hope, Duarte, June 2021
- Outpatient Management of Locally Advanced Breast Cancer Using Immediate Local Thoraco-Abdominal Advancement Flap, Abstract presentation at California Society of Plastic Surgeons 71st Annual Meeting, May 2021.
- Breast Disease Team Presentation, City of Hope, Duarte, California March 2021.
- Patient Factors That Influence Decision-Making in Breast Reconstruction, Breast Oncology Didactic Conference, City of Hope, Duarte, California February 2021.
- Cutaneous Metastases from Breast Cancer: Is There a Role for Surgery? Department of Surgery Research Forum, City of Hope, Duarte, CA. December 2020.
- Reconstruction after Breast Cancer Surgery. Herald Breast Cancer Support Group, San Gabriel Zoom Meeting, December 2020.
- The Reconstructive Ladder in 2020: Principles and Clinical Cases. Introduction for Urological Reconstruction. Urological Reconstructive Fellows Didactic Teaching, City of Hope, Duarte, CA. October 19, 2020.
- Extended Rectus Flap: Anatomical Variant. Case Series. Presented at 70th CSPS Annual Meeting, August 8, 2020.
- The Reconstructive Ladder in 2020: Principles and Clinical Cases. General Surgery Resident Didactics at Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, California, March 2020.
- Breast Reconstruction in After Mastectomy or Lumpectomy in Breast Cancer Patients. Herald Breast Cancer Support Group, San Gabriel, California, October 2019.
- Moderator: Breast Implants and ADM Update: Where are we now? Panel discussion on FDA Hearings. March 25-26, 2019. 69th CSPS Annual Meeting, Sacramento, CA June 2019.
- Single-Stage Goldilocks Procedure Combined with Prosthesis: Post-Mastectomy Breast Reconstruction For Severe Ptosis and High BMI: A Review of 41 Cases. Mitchell, B, Andersen, JS, Li WY. 69th Annual CSPS Meeting, Sacramento, CA June 2019.
- Plastic Surgery What We Do, Why I Love it, How To Get A Residency Spot. University of Southern California Medical Student Lecture: PS Interest Group, Los Angeles, California, April 2019.
- Plastic Surgery Introduction to our Specialty. Presentation to Plastic Surgery Nurses at City of Hope, Duarte, California, March 2019.
- Choosing the Right Reconstruction: Patient Factors. Breast Oncology Fellow Didactics Conference, Duarte, California, February 2019.
- Li WY, Helton, H., Andersen, JS. Goldilocks Procedure - Post Mastectomy reconstruction for obese and ptotic Patients: Case Series and Pearls for Surgery. 3rd Annual Meeting of the Society of Asian Academic Surgeons, Milwaukee, IL, September 2018.
- Plastic Reconstructive Surgery for breast cancer patients - post mastectomy reconstruction, symmetrizing procedures and oncoplastic surgery. Herald Cancer Association, San Gabriel, California, September 2018.
- Neurofibromatosis Q and A, Patient Forum, Duarte, California, August 2018.
- Patient Factors in Breast Reconstruction. Breast Oncology Didactic Conference, Duarte, California, April 2018.
- How Can a Plastic Reconstructive Surgeon Help a Surgical Oncologist? Division of Surgical Oncology Educational Conference, Duarte, California, April 2018.
- Breast Reconstruction Options After Mastectomy. Chinese-American Community Cancer Health Annual Education Forum, Duarte, California, April 2018.
- Plastic Surgery What We Do, Why I Love it, How to Get a Residency Spot. The University of Southern California Medical Student Lecture, Los Angeles, California, December 2017.
- How to Pass the Plastic Surgery Boards. Keck-USC Plastic Surgery Residents City Wide Conference, University of Southern California, November 2017.
- The Learning Curve of One-Stage Breast Reconstruction after Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy, Li WY, Andersen JS, 2nd Annual Meeting of the Society of Asian Academic Surgeons, Birmingham, AL, September 2017.
- Burg, M, Li WY, Andersen, JS. Immediate Direct-to-Implant Reconstruction After Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy: Is This A One-Staged Reconstruction? A Review of 202 Cases. 67th Annual Meeting of the Californian Society of Plastic Surgeons, San Francisco, California, May 2017.
- Burg, M, Li WY, Andersen, JS. Immediate Direct-to-Implant Reconstruction After Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy: Is This A One-Staged Reconstruction? A Review of 202 Cases. Annual Scientific Meeting of the Southern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, Santa Barbara, California, January 2017.
- Li WY. One and Done - SingleStage Direct to Implant After Mastectomy. Faculty Speaker, World Association of Plastic Surgeons of Chinese Descent 5th Congress of the World Association of Plastic Surgeons of Chinese Descent, Wuhan, China, November 2016.
- Li WY, Andersen, JC, Andersen, JS. Post-Surgical Pyoderma Gangrenosum of the Breast: Is Future Surgery Prohibited? Surgical Forum, Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons, Washington DC, October 2016.
- Li WY, Poon, A, Courtemanche DJ, Verchere C, Robertson S, Malic C, Bucevska M, Arneja, J. Neonatal Airway Management in Pierre Robin Sequence: The Vancouver Classification System. Annual Meeting of Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons, Victoria, BC, Canada. 2015
- Neonatal Airway Management in Pierre Robin Sequence: The Vancouver Classification System. Li WY, Poon A, Courtemanche DJ, Verchere C, Robertson S, Malic C, Bucevska M, Arneja, J. University of British Columbia Research Day, Vancouver, Canada. 2015
- Li WY, Andersen J, Andersen JA. Pyoderma Gangrenosum after Free Tissue Transfer for Breast Reconstruction. 4th World Association of Plastic Surgeons of Chinese Descent, Hong Kong. November 2014
- Reinisch JF, Li WY. Medpor Ear Reconstruction: A Twenty-Three Year Experience with 1042 Ears. 93rd Annual meeting of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons. Miami, Florida. May 2014
- Li WY, Yu D, Reinisch JF. Getting A Valid Survey Response Rate from 608 Academic Plastic Surgeons. American Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, California. 2014
- Li WY, Yang H, Ghiassi A. July 4th Firework-Related Hand Injuries: The Los Angeles County Hospital Experience. Senior Residents Conference, San Diego, California. 2013
- Li WY, Yu D, Reinisch JF. Who's on First: Authorship Issues in Plastic Surgery. 62nd Annual Meeting of the Californian Society of Plastic Surgery, Coronado, California. 2012
- Li WY, Rommer E, Magee WM. Cutis Aplasia Congenita. Reconstruction of Lesions of the Vertex by Tissue Expansion and Serial Z-plasty. Annual Scientific Meeting of the Southern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, Santa Barbara, California. 2011
- Li WY. TGF Beta Signaling In Craniofacial Morphogenesis: New Insights Into Cleft Lip And Palate Development. Bernard Sarnat Day, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California. 2009
- Li WY, Dudas M, Kaartinen V. The Role of TGF-beta signaling in upper lip formation. Surgical Forum, 94th Clinical Congress American College of Surgeons, San Francisco, California. 2008
- Li WY, O Chaudry, Reinisch JF. Early Surgical Management of Lip Hemangiomas: Fifteen Year Experience With 214 cases. 87th Annual meeting of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons. Boston, Massachusetts. 2008
- Li WY, Dudas M, Kim J, Kaartinen V. Deletion Of TGF-Beta Receptor Alk5 In The Epithelium Results In Cleft Palate. Surgical Forum, 92nd Clinical Congress American College of Surgeons, Chicago, Illinois. 2006
- The 3M Award Research Seminar: Fetal Scarless Healing: The Role of TGF-beta3 and PAI-1. 15th Annual Meeting of the Wound Healing Society, Chicago, Illinois. 2005
- The Saban Research Institute Research Seminar: Fetal Scarless Healing and the Protease Balance. The Saban Research Institute, Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California. 2005
- Li WY, Huang EY, Chong SN, Dudas M, Kaartinen V, Warburton DW, Andersen KD, Tuan TL. Fetal Scarless Healing: The Role of TGF-β 3 and PAI-1. LI WY. Scholarships Luncheon, Clinical Congress American College of Surgeons, New Orleans, Louisiana. 2004
- The Role of TGF-β 3 signaling and PAI-1 in matrix contraction. Surgical Forum, 90th Clinical Congress American College of Surgeons, New Orleans, Louisiana. 2004
- Li WY, Huang EY, Chong SN, Kaartinen V, Warburton DW, Andersen KD, Tuan TL. Fetal Wound Healing: Altered Collagen Gel Contraction by Skin Fibroblasts Deficient in TGF-β 3. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Cell Biology, San Francisco, California. 2003
- Li WY, Huang EY, Chong SN, Kaartinen V, Warburton DW, Tuan TL. Fetal Wound Healing: Increased PAI-1 in TGF-β 3 deficient Mice. Third Southern California Wound Healing Symposium, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, California. 2002
- Fetal Wound Healing: The Role of TGF-β 3. Annual Children's Hospital Los Angeles Research Institute Developmental Biology Retreat, La Canada, California. 2002
- Cubison T, Pirayesh A, Li WY, Ashworth K, Sim K, Gilbert P. Improving Pre-Burns Centre Management: The Introduction of a New Transfer Proforma. Presented at (i) 3rd International Conference on Trauma Care, Edinburgh, UK, June 2001, and (ii) 9th Congress of the European Burns Association, Lyon, France. 2001
- Li WY, Burton S, Eddy B, Ball AS, Murday V. Familial Breast Cancer Referral: Did We Really Need To See You? British Association of Surgical Oncology Meeting, Glasgow, UK. 2001
- Li WY, Bryson J, Ball AS, Reddy KM. Routine Mammography for Breast Cysts. Is it Worthwhile? Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland Millennium Meeting, Cardiff, UK. 2000
- Janowski S, Li WY. The Impact Of NSAIDS On The Workload Of ICU. Southern Society of Anaesthetists Annual Meeting, St Helier Hospital, Surrey, UK. 1999
- Herriot AG, Slater G, Li WY, Raymond T, North T, Thomas PR. The Potential Impact Of Endovascular Stenting On Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Practice In A District General Hospital. Surrey Vascular Group Meeting, Guildford, UK. 1999
- Li WY, Young SP, Kitas G. Extracellular Antigen Processing: A Possible Route To Aberrant Extracellular Antigen Presentation? British Society of Immunology Annual Conference, Southampton, UK. 1994