Maria Mercedes Chang Villacreses, M.D.
Maria Mercedes Chang Villacreses, M.D., is determined to make a difference in the diagnosis and treatment of diabetes. As a postdoctoral fellow with City of Hope’s Diabetes and Metabolism Research Institute, Dr. Chang Villacreses determined that the popular A1c test may not be sufficient to determine the presence of diabetes. “We want to diagnose diabetes earlier so we can intervene earlier and potentially prevent diabetic complications from developing,” she said. “The best way to do that is by also using oral glucose tests.” Dr. Chang Villacreses is a perpetual honors student who received her medical degree from Ecuador's Universidad Católica de Santiago de Guayaquil. After several years' service as a physician in Guayaquil, she continued her training in the U.S. at Danbury Hospital in Danbury, CT, and Yale New Haven Endocrinology Department, New Haven, CT.
- 2018-present, Endocrinology Fellow at Harbor UCLA – City of Hope, Los Angeles, CA
- 2014, Internal Medicine Physician on Emergency Department at Hospital Teodoro Maldonado Carbo - Instituto Ecuatoriano de Seguridad Social (IESS), Guayauil, Ecuador
- 2011-2012, Rural Family Medical Service, Subcentro de Salud Puerto Hondo and Puesto de Salud Puertas del Sol, Guayaquil, Ecuador
- 2011, MD, Universidad Católica de Santiago de Guayaquil, Guayaquil, Ecuador
- 2005, Bachelor Degree, Best graduate and National Flag bearer in Unidad Educativa Steiner Internacional
- 2015-2018, Internal Medicine Residency at Danbury Hospital, Danbury, CT
- Medical Board of California: Physician and Surgeon
- ECFMG certificate
- Ecuadorian National Title Registration For Healthcare Professionals
Chang V Maria M, Lara J. Clinical tomographic relation (GCS-Marshall) with the state of the Glasgow Outcome Scale for Moderate – Severe traumatic brain injury (TBI) patients. “Hospital Luis Vernaza” July-September 2010. Published in Revista Médica de la Facultad de Ciencias Médicas de la UCSG, Vol 17 N1, Guayaquil – Ecuador, 2011-2012. ISSN 1390-0218.
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- American Diabetes Association
- Endocrine Society