Wai-Yee Li, M.D., Ph.D.
- Plastic Surgery
- Breast cancer reconstruction
- Chest and abdominal wall reconstruction
- Skin cancer resection and reconstruction
- Vaginal reconstruction
I absolutely love Dr. Li and have nothing but high praise and the best to say about her ... very caring and personal approach ... the best doctor I could ask for." City of Hope cancer survivor
When patients are diagnosed with cancer, many ask, "How will I look once my cancer is taken away?" As a wife and mother of two, Wai-Yee Li, M.D., Ph.D., recognizes the importance of restoring patients after cancer surgery. “Whether it’s the face or the breast, people want to look and feel as normal as they can after their cancer is removed. Surviving cancer is about having a good quality of life and feeling great about yourself."
Dr. Li has been the recipient of multiple honors, awards and scholarships and holds active memberships with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, California Society of Plastic Surgeons, Society of Asian Academic Surgeons and the World Association of Plastic Surgeons of Chinese Descent. She has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and book chapters, and is frequently invited to present her work at international conferences and meetings.
- 2002-2008 - University of Manchester, England, Wound Healing and Craniofacial Development
- 2000-2001 - Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, England, Senior SHO Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- 1997-1999 - The Royal Marsden and St. Heliers Hospital, Surrey, England, Basic Surgical Training
- 1990-1996 - University of Birmingham Medical School, England, MB, ChB, Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery
- 1994-1995 - University of Birmingham, England, B.Sc., Pathological Studies, with Honors
- 2014-2015 - Pediatric Plastic Surgery Fellow, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- 2008-2014 - Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- 1996-1997 - Internship, Medicine and Surgery, Crawley Hospital, West Sussex, England
- Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgeons
- California Medical License
Getting a Valid Survey Response from 662 Plastic Surgeons in the 21st Century. Reinisch JF, Yu DC and Li WY. Annals of Plastic Surgery. Jan 2016: 76 (1):3-5
Bilateral spontaneous flexor digitorum profundus tendon rupture of the fifth digit: case report and literature review. Li WY, Rommer E and Kulber DA. Hand. May 2013: 8: 239-241.
Guide to Early Surgical Management of Lip Hemangiomas Based On Our Experience of 214 cases. Li WY, Chaudry O and Reinisch JF. Plast Reconstr Surg. November 2011:128 (5):1117 – 1124
Pits, Cysts and Tumors. Li WY and Reinisch JF. Plast Reconstr Surg. July 2009 ;124 (1 Suppl):106e-116e.
Signaling through Tgf-beta type I receptor Alk5 is required for upper lip fusion. Li, WY Dudas M. and Kaartinen V. Mechanisms of Development. 2008. 125 (9-10) 874-882.
Tissue-specific expression of Cre recombinase from the Tgfb3 locus. Yang, LT, Li, WY and Kaartinen, V. Genesis. 2008. 46(2): 112-118.
Invited Review: Palatal Fusion – Where Do The Midline Cells Go? Dudas M, Li WY, Kim J, Yang A and Kaartinen V. Acta Histochemica. January 2007, 109 (1-14).
Epithelial And Ectomesenchymal Role Of The Type I TGF-b Receptor Alk5 During Facial Morphogenesis And Palatal Fusion. Dudas M, Kim J, Li WY, Nagy A, Larsson J, Karlsson S, Chai Y and Kaartinen V. Developmental Biology. Aug 2006, 296(2):298 - 314.
TGF-b3 Affects PAI-1 Expression In Fetal Mice And Modulates Fibroblast-Mediated Collagen Gel Contraction. Li WY, Huang EY, Dudas M,, Kaartinen V, Warburton D and Tuan TL. Wound Repair Regeneration. June 2006, 14 516 - 525
The Plasminogen Activator/Plasmin System: A Major Player In Wound Healing? Li WY, Chong, SN, Huang EY and Tuan TL. Wound Repair Regeneration. 2003, 11 (4) 239 -247.
Reliability Of Pre-Operative Biopsies In The Histological Grading Of Colorectal Adenocarcinomas. Burton S, Li WY, Eddy B, Reddy K, Aslam M, Owen ERTC and Weston J. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 2003, 85 (1) 23-25
Microdochectomy In Women Aged Over 50 Years. Burton S, Li WY, Himpson R, Sulieman S and Ball A. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 2003, 85(1)
Comprehensive Cleft Care. Eds. Losee J and Kirschner RE. Chapter 29: Complications of Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery. Reinisch JF, Li WY and Urata M. New York. McGraw-Hill. 2008
The Learning Curve of One-Stage Breast Reconstruction After Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy. Li, WY and Andersen JS. 2nd Annual Meeting of the Society of Asian Academic Surgeons, Birmingham, AL, September 2017.
Post-Mastectomy Breast Reconstruction (Cantonese). Li WY. Herald Cancer Association, Los Angeles, April 2017.
Immediate Direct-To-Implant Reconstruction After Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy: Is This A One-Staged Reconstruction? A Review Of 202 Cases. Burg, M, Li, WY and Andersen JS. Annual Scientific Meeting of the Southern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, Santa Barbara, January 2017.
‘One and Done’ – Single-Stage Direct To Implant After Mastectomy. Li, WY. Faculty Speaker. World Association of Plastic Surgeons of Chinese Descent. 5th Congress of the World Association of Plastic Surgeons of Chinese Descent, Wuhan, China. November 2016.
Post-Surgical Pyoderma Gangrenosum of the Breast: Is Future Surgery Prohibited? Li, WY, Andersen, JC and Andersen JS. Surgical Forum, Clinical Congress American College of Surgeons, Washington, DC, October 2016.
Medpor Ear Reconstruction: A Twenty Three Year Experience with 1042 Ears. Reinisch JF and LI WY. 93rd Annual meeting of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons. Miami, April 2014.
Getting A Valid Survey Response Rate from 608 Academic Plastic Surgeons. LI WY, Yu D and Reinisch JF. American Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, 2013.
July 4th Firework-Related Hand Injuries: The Los Angeles County Hospital Experience. LI WY, Yang H and Ghiassi A. Senior Residents Conference, San Diego, 2013.
Cutis Aplasia Congenita. Reconstruction of Lesions of the Vertex by Tissue Expansion and Serial Z-plasty. LI WY, Rommer E and Magee WM. Annual Scientific Meeting of the Southern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, Santa Barbara, 2011.
Who’s on First: Authorship Issues in Plastic Surgery. Li WY, Yu D and Reinisch JF. 62nd Annual Meeting of the Californian Society of Plastic Surgery, Coronado, 2012.
TGF Beta Signaling In Craniofacial Morphogenesis: New Insights Into Cleft Lip And Palate Development. Li WY. Bernard Sarnat Day, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, USA 2009.
The Role of TGF-beta signaling in upper lip formation. Li WY, Dudas M, and Kaartinen V. Surgical Forum, 94th Clinical Congress American College of Surgeons, San Francisco, USA 2008.
Early Surgical Management of Lip Hemangiomas: Fifteen Year Experience With 214 cases. Li WY, O Chaudry and Reinisch JF. 87th Annual meeting of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons. Boston, USA 2008.
Deletion Of TGF-Beta Receptor Alk5 In The Epithelium Results In Cleft Palate. Li WY, Dudas M, Kim J and Kaartinen V. Surgical Forum, 92nd Clinical Congress American College of Surgeons, Chicago, USA. 2006.
The 3M Award Research Seminar: Fetal Scarless Healing: The Role of TGF-beta3 and PAI-1. 15th Annual Meeting of the Wound Healing Society, Chicago, USA. 2005.
The Saban Research Institute Research Seminar: Fetal Scarless Healing and the Protease Balance. The Saban Research Institute, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, USA. 2005.
Fetal Scarless Healing: The Role of TGF-β3 and PAI-1. LI WY. Scholarships Luncheon, Clinical Congress American College of Surgeons, New Orleans, USA. 2004.
The Role of TGF-β3 signalling and PAI-1 in matrix contraction. Li WY, Huang EY, Chong SN, Dudas M, Kaartinen V, Warburton DW, Andersen KD, Tuan TL. Surgical Forum, 90th Clinical Congress American College of Surgeons, New Orleans, USA. 2004.
Fetal Wound Healing: Altered Collagen Gel Contraction by Skin Fibroblasts Deficient in TGF-β3. Li WY, Huang EY, Chong SN, Kaartinen V, Warburton DW, Andersen KD, Tuan TL. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Cell Biology, San Francisco, USA. 2003.
Fetal Wound Healing: Increased PAI-1 in TGF-β3 deficient Mice. Li WY, Huang EY, Chong SN, Kaartinen V, Warburton DW, Tuan TL. Third Southern California Wound Healing Symposium, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, California, USA. 2003.
Fetal Wound Healing: The Role of TGF-β3. Annual Childrens Hospital Los Angeles Research Institute Developmental Biology Retreat, La Canada, California. 2002.
Improving Pre-Burns Centre Management: The Introduction of a New Transfer Proforma. Cubison T, Pirayesh A, Li WY, Ashworth K, Sim K, Gilbert P. Presented at (i) 3rd International Conference on Trauma Care, Edinburgh, UK, June 2001, and (ii) 9th Congress of the European Burns Association, Lyon, France, September 2001.
Familial Breast Cancer Referral: Did We Really Need To See You? Li WY, Burton S, Eddy B, Ball AS, Murday V. British Association of Surgical Oncology Meeting, Glasgow, UK, 2001.
Routine Mammography for Breast Cysts. Is it Worthwhile? Li WY, Bryson J, Ball AS, Reddy KM. Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland Millenium Meeting, Cardiff, UK, May 2000.
Extracellular Antigen Processing: A Possible Route To Aberrant Extracellular Antigen Presentation? Li WY, Young SP, Kitas G. British Society of Immunology Annual Conference, Southampton, UK, March 1994.
The Potential Impact Of Endovascular Stenting On Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Practice In A District General Hospital. Herriot AG, Slater G, Li WY, Raymond T, North T, Thomas PR. Surrey Vascular Group Meeting, Guildford, UK, January 1999.
- Society of Asian Academic Surgeons
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- World Association of Plastic Surgeons of Chinese Descent
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- 2014, Leonard R. Rubin, American Association of Plastic Surgeons Best Paper Award
- 2013, Southern California Clinical and Translational Institute Pilot Funding Award, Novel Methods and Technology: Tissue Engineered Auricle for Microtia Application
- 2012, The Operation Smile Stryker Fellowship to Fund Mission Trip to Fengkai, Guangzhou, China
- 2006, American College of Surgeons Excellence in Research Award
- 2003-2004, The Joint American College of Surgeons and Royal College of Surgeons of England USA Fellowship
- 2003, 3M/American Wound Healing Foundation Young Investigator Fellowship Award
- 2002-2003, Children's Hospital Los Angeles Research Institute Career
- 1995, Francis Brett Young Scholarship
- 1995, The University of Birmingham Graduate Travel Award
- 1995, The British Medical and Dental Students Trust Travel Award
- 1995, The Arthritis and Rheumatism Council Medal in Rheumatology
- 1994, The Arthritis and Rheumatism Council Scholarship
- 1994, The Medical Defense Union Elective Travel Award
- 1993, Medical School Best Essay Prize in Pathological Studies, University of Birmingham, England