Arya Amini, M.D.
4.9 (230 RATINGS)
Head And Neck Cancers
Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)/Stereotactic Ablative Radiation Therapy (SABR)
Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy In Metastatic Cancers
Stereotactic Radiosurgery In Brain Metastases
Combination Immunotherapy And Radiation In Lung, Head And Neck And Skin Cancers
Large Population Databases To Guide Treatment Options For Cancer Patients
Associate Professor, Department Of Radiation Oncology
Chief Of Thoracic Radiotherapy
"Born and raised in Southern California, it is a true honor and privilege to take care of my fellow Californians. To be able to do this in one of the best cancer centers in the country has been one of the greatest opportunities in my life.”Arya Amini, M.D., says his patients are “the strongest and bravest individuals I have ever met.”The winner of multiple awards and author of over 100 peer-reviewed publications, Dr. Amini specializes in all forms of radiation treatment and their associated, ever-more-sophisticated devices and instruments, including image-guided radiotherapy, brachytherapy, stereotactic radiosurgery and stereotactic body radiation therapy.He is also a skilled researcher who scours databases to learn more about treatment patterns nationwide, evaluate outcomes with combined modality therapy and uncover areas where disparities exist. He is the recipient of several grants and leads multiple clinical trials in lung, skin, and head and neck cancer. Dr. Amini was selected as one of the top doctors in Los Angeles in 2020 by Los Angeles Magazine.Dr. Amini received his medical degree from the University of California Irvine and continued his training with an internship at UC Irvine and residency at the University of Colorado.A firm believer in the collaborative, multidisciplinary model of medicine, Dr. Amini is thrilled to be working at City of Hope, surrounded by “great colleagues in surgical oncology, medical oncology, radiology, pathology and supportive care.”
2012, Doctor of Medicine, University of California Irvine, School of Medicine, Irvine, CA
2007, Bachelor of Arts, Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
2013-2017, Radiation Oncology Chief Resident (PGY-5), University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO
2012-2013, Preliminary Internal Medicine Internship, University of California Irvine, School of Medicine, Irvine, CA
2022-present, Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2017-2022, Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- Liu J, Hui C, Ladbury C, Waddington T, Erhunmwunsee L, Raz D, Kim J, Salgia R, Chenery S, Pearlstein D, Schwer A, Amini A. Improved Survival Outcomes in Medically Fit Patients with Early-Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Undergoing Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy. Clin Lung Cancer. 2021 Jan 19;S1525-7304
- Amini A, Freeman M, Melstrom L, Margolin KA, Parekh V, Abdulla FR, Modi B. Pathologic complete response with radiation and vismodegib in a patient with advanced basal cell carcinoma: a case report. Mol Clin Oncol. 2021 Mar;14(3):46
- Cushman TR, Jones B, Akhavan D, Rusthoven CG, Verma V, Salgia R, Sedrak M, Massarelli E, Welsh JW, Amini A. The Effects of Time to Treatment Initiation for Patients with Non-small cell lung cancer in the United States. Clin Lung Cancer. 2021 Jan;22(1):e84-e97.
- Novak J, Cui Y, Frankel P, Sedrak MS, Glaser S, Li R, Motwani S, Kavanagh B, Amini A. Growth of the Social #RadOnc Network on Twitter. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2020 Sep 28:S1879-8500(20)30221-6
- Li R, Shinde A, Liu A, Glaser S, Lyou Y, Yuh B, Wong J, Amini A. Machine Learning-Based Interpretation and Visualization of Nonlinear Interactions in Prostate Cancer Survival. JCO Clin Cancer Inform. 2020 Jul;4:637-646.
- Amini A. Early Stage Oral Tongue Cancer with an Ipsilateral Nodal Recurrence 2 Year Later: What Do You Treat? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2020 Apr 1;106(5):900-901.
- Patel RR, Ludmir EB, Augustyn A, Zaorsky NG, Lehrer EJ, Ryali R, Trifiletti DM, Adeberg S, Amini A, Verma V. De-intensification of therapy in human papillomavirus associated oropharyngeal cancer: A systematic review of prospective trials. Oral Oncol. 2020 Apr;103:104608.
- Chau B, Shinde A, Amini A. Neoadjuvant therapy in localized non-small cell lung cancer: can we do better than chemotherapy. TCR. 2019 Aug. doi: 10.21037/tcr/2019/08/43
- Li R, Vazquez J, Novak J, Sedrak M, Warner S, Glaser S, Chen YJ, Dale W, Amini A. Patterns of care and treatment outcomes in patients age 80 or older with non-metastatic pancreatic cancer. J Geriatr Oncol. 2019 Dec 26. Doi: 10/1016/j.jgo.2019.12.006
- Li R, Shinde A, Fakih M, Sentovich S, Melstrom K, Nelson R, Glaser S, Chen YJ, Goodman K, Amini A. Impact of Surgical Resection on Survival Outcomes After Chemoradiotherapy in Anal Adenocarcinoma. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2019 Oct 1;17(10):1203-1210.
- Chau B, Shinde A, Amini A. Neoadjuvant Therapy in Localized Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Can We Do Better Than Chemotherapy? Translational Cancer Research. In press.
- Li R, Shinde A, Glaser S, Chao J, Kim J, Karam SD, Goodman K, Chen YJ, Amini A. Analyzing the impact of neoadjuvant radiation dose on pathologic response and survival outcomes in esophageal and gastroesophageal cancers. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2019 Aug; 10(4):712-722.
- Shinde A, Horne ZD, Li R, Glaser S, Massarelli E, Koczywas M, Erhunmwunsee L, Reckamp KL, Weksler B, Salgia R, Beriwal S, Amini A. Optimal adjuvant therapy in clinically N2 non-small cell lung cancer patients undergoing neoadjuvant chemotherapy and surgery: The importance of pathological response and lymph node ratio. Lung Cancer. 2019 Jul; 133:136-143.
- Shinde A, Verma V, Li R, Glaser S, Raoof M, Warner SG, Chung V, Singh G, Chen YJ, Goodman KA, Amini A. The role of sequential radiation following adjuvant chemotherapy in resected pancreas cancer. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2019 Jun; 10(3):462-473.
- Shinde A, Vazquez J, Novak J, Sedrak MS, Amini A. The role of comprehensive geriatric assessment in radiation oncology. J Geriatr Oncol. 2019 Aug 29.
- Amini A, Rusthoven CG. Thymoma: does tumor size matter? Journal of Thoracic Disease. 2019 Sep, 11(Suppl 15): S2005-2007.
- Amini A, Verma V, Li R, Vora N, Kang R, Gernon T, Chang S, Karam S, Massarelli E, Maghami E, Glaser S. Factors Predicting for Patient Refusal of Definitive Surgical- or Radiation-Based Head and Neck Cancer Therapy. Head and Neck. 2020 Jan;42(1):33-42.
- Shinde A, Verma V, Jones BL, Li R, Glaser S, Freeman M, Melstrom L, Kang R, Parvathaneni U, Modi B, Amini A. The Effect of Time to Postoperative Radiation Therapy on Survival in Resected Merkel Cell Carcinoma. Am J Clin Oncol 2019 In Press
- Amini A, Verma V, Glaser SM, Shinde A, Sampath S, Stokes WA, Rusthoven CG, Massarelli E, Salgia R, Gaspar LE, Liu AK. Early mortality of stage IV non-small cell lung cancer in the United States. Acta Oncol 2019. Apri 9:1-7.
- Shinde A, Amini A. Challenging Current Conventions: Up-Front Stereotactic Radiosurgery Alone for Limited Brain Metastases in Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2019 Apr 1; 103(5):1031-1032.
Ratings and reviews below are gathered from the Press Ganey Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CG CAHPS) survey. CG CAHPS is a standardized survey that is used to measure a patient's experience in the physician office setting. Ratings are an average of all responses to questions about a provider's care, with 5 stars being the highest.
Show respect for what you say
Spend enough time with you
Provider listen carefully to you
Know important info medical history
Rate provider 0-10
Recommend this provider office
Provider explain in way you understand
My care provider is one of the best. - Verified patient
My doctors and their teams always work together to provide the best care for me. - Verified patient
Will recommend to friends and relatives.. - Verified patient
Very happy with their service - Verified patient
Dr. Amini is the best! I am in very good hands. - Verified patient