There are many varieties of bone and soft tissue tumors, including several that occur predominantly in children.
If you or your child has been diagnosed with a musculoskeletal tumor, talk to us. Because these tumors can grow aggressively, it's important to learn your options and take action right away. At City of Hope, we provide rapid diagnosis and treatment, thanks to our broad array of experts from multiple disciplines, all under one roof. We go beyond eradicating your cancer. We aim to restore you to a normal life with full motor function. In 85 percent of our cases, we have saved the patient’s limb.
City of Hope has one of the largest musculoskeletal cancer programs in California and is a regional referral center for child and adult patients with musculoskeletal tumors. We are also national leader in the use of expandable implants.
Request a consultation
If you have been diagnosed with a type of musculoskeletal tumor or are looking for a second opinion consultation about your treatment, request an appointment online or contact us at 800-826-HOPE. Please visit Making Your First Appointment for more information.
City of Hope is one of the few facilities designated a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute, and U.S. News & World Report has named City of Hope one of the top cancer hospitals in America.
Our world-class team of specialists can walk you through entire the treatment process, address your concerns, and create a personalized plan designed to give you the best possible results.
Our musculoskeletal tumor team has pioneered state-of-the-art procedures that target cancer while minimizing side effects:
- Minimally invasive surgery removes tumors while preserving healthy tissue
- Radiation therapy, including ultra-precise Helical TomoTherapy and Brachytherapy
- Pioneering drug research and clinical trials
- Advanced chemotherapy
- Expandable implants that can “grow” with the patient
At City of Hope, we treat the whole person, body and soul. We have an unmatched reputation for coordinated, comprehensive and compassionate care, from diagnosis to treatment to rehab, plus social and psychological support.
NEWS & BREAKTHROUGHS
September 20, 2017
January 11, 2014
November 27, 2013
November 26, 2013
Every patient is different, with different needs. At City of Hope, we design a treatment plan just for you. Our entire team works together to bring you precise, state-of-the-art surgery, radiation therapy including Helical TomoTherapy and brachytherapy, chemotherapy and other options that will deliver the best outcome possible.
We support you every step of the way, both during treatment and after, helping you and your loved ones manage your recovery and rehabilitation.
Learn more about:
City of Hope’s renowned physicians and researchers utilize the latest in technology and innovation to treat cancer, coupled with our enduring belief in providing unparalleled compassionate care. Call 800-826-HOPE or go online to request an appointment.
Research and clinical trials for musculoskeletal tumors
City of Hope is a fully independent, biomedical research institution with the vision, drive and infrastructure to accelerate new treatment ideas from the laboratory to patients through clinical trials. Our onsite biologic manufacturing labs accelerate this process, as do our collaborative research efforts.
City of Hope’s Musculoskeletal Tumor Program pursues joint initiatives with colleagues on campus as well as with researchers nationwide. Complementing these efforts, we have the longest-standing cancer survivorship program in the country.
In a concerted effort to develop viable treatments that significantly improve cancer survival, musculoskeletal investigators collaborate across disciplines to develop the most promising therapies.
Some of our current research initiatives include:
- City of Hope’s Western Sarcoma Team has developed a unique web-based database to study the characteristics, treatment and outcome of many types of sarcomas and musculoskeletal tumors.
- A Phase II Study of Pazpanib in Treatment of Surgically Unresectable or Metastatic Chondrosarcoma
- Childhood Cancer Survivor Study
- A COG Soft Tissue Sarcoma Biology and Banking Protocol
- City of Hope researchers are developing novel therapies that block musculoskeletal cancer's ability to proliferate and spread throughout the body; a phase I and II study of Dasatinib, an investigational drug that acts to inhibit cancer growth and invasion, has just been completed.
Living with cancer
Rehabilitation services are especially important when treating musculoskeletal tumors. At City of Hope, we provide an unparalleled array of support services to help you and your family take each step in your cancer treatment and recovery, including occupational therapy, physical therapy and recreational therapy. Orthotics and prosthetic services are also provided.
Our unique supportive care medicine services can answer your questions and concerns:
- Managing pain and other cancer and treatment effects
- Rehabilitation following cancer treatment
- Preserving and restoring physical faculties
- Navigating the health care system
- Your emotional, social and spiritual health
- Staying healthy and active
- Healthy cooking and eating
- Healing arts
- Caregiver skills
- Dealing with family, school and work stress