Edward Sanghyun Kim, M.D., M.B.A.
Edward S. Kim, M.D, M.B.A., fellow of the American College of Physicians and fellow of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, is physician-in-chief of City of Hope Orange County and the vice physician-in-chief of City of Hope National Medical Center. Dr. Kim joins City of Hope in fulfilling its promise of enhanced local access to cancer breakthroughs by leading its esteemed team of clinicians in Orange County.
A U.S. News & World Report "Top Doctor" and clinician world-renowned for his immense oncology experience, Dr. Kim is poised to drive innovation in cancer care and delivery, developing paradigms for translating research into clinical practice and introducing new therapies for the Orange County clinical network and planned Irvine campus.
Backed by a distinguished history of pioneering cancer research, Dr. Kim is among the country's foremost experts in molecular prognostication - which advances cancer detection and personalized therapies - for lung, head and neck cancers. He's served as a principal/co-principal investigator on numerous studies and protocols and authored/co-authored more than 200 published articles, book chapters and reviews in top-tier journals, such as The Lancet, The Lancet Oncology, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Cancer Discovery, Cancer, Nature Medicine, and Cancer Prevention Research.
Before joining City of Hope, Dr. Kim was chair of Solid Tumor Oncology and Investigational Therapeutics, the Donald S. Kim Distinguished Chair for Cancer Research and medical director of the Clinical Trials Office at Levine Cancer Institute, Atrium Health, in Charlotte, North Carolina, and professor of medicine at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. He's held many leadership roles, such as tenured associate professor in the Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology at University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Kim recently completed his Master of Business Administration at University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School.
Dr. Kim's goals for City of Hope are to promote strategic and team-oriented translational research and patient advocacy for greater accessibility and equitability in cancer care.
2018-2020, M.B.A., University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler School of Business, Chapel Hill, NC
1996, M.D. and Honors Program in Medical Education, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
1992, B.S., Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
2019-present, Fellow of the American Society of Clinical Oncology
2015-present, Fellow of the American College of Physicians
1999-2001, Medical Oncology Fellowship, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
1996-1999, Clinical fellowship, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
2020-present, Physician-in-Chief, City of Hope Orange County, Irvine, CA
2020-present, Vice Physician-in-Chief, City of Hope National Medical Center, Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, Duarte, CA
2012-2020, Chairman, Solid Tumor Oncology and Investigational Therapeutics, Donald S. Kim Distinguished Chair for Cancer Research, and
Medical Director, Clinical Trials Office, Levine Cancer Institute, Atrium Health, Charlotte, NC, and Professor of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
2002-2012, Associate Professor (tenured), Chief, Section of Head and Neck Medical Oncology, and Director, Clinical Research Operations, Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
2018, 2017, 2016 and 2014, Charlotte Top Docs, Charlotte Magazine
2017, Cedars-Sinai Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute, Redlich Lectureship Award
2016, 2014 and 2012, America Top Doctors, Best Physicians as Chosen by their Peers, Business North Carolina Magazine
2013, SCRIPPS Cancer Center’s 33rd Annual Conference Hematology and Oncology, Robert Longmire Lectureship Award
2011-2013, US News & World Report Best Doctors
2006-present, Member, International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer
2007-present, Member, Chemoprevention Committee, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group
2011-present, Member, Federal Advisory Committee, Special Emphasis Panel for the Clinical Assay Development Program, Department of Health & Human Services, Washington, D.C.
- Chih-Hsin Yang J, Schuler M, Popat S, Miura S, Heeke S, Park K, Märten A, Kim ES. Afatinib for the Treatment of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Harboring Uncommon EGFR Mutations: A Database of 693 Cases. J Thorac Oncol. 2020 Jan 10;. doi: 10.1016/j.jtho.2019.12.126. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 31931137.
- Pai SI, Cohen EEW, Lin D, Fountzilas G, Kim ES, Mehlhorn H, Baste N, Clayburgh D, Lipworth L, Resteghini C, Shara N, Fujii T, Zhang J, Stokes M, Wang H, Twumasi-Ankrah P, Wildsmith S, Khaliq A, Melillo G, Shire N. SUPREME-HN: a retrospective biomarker study assessing the prognostic value of PD-L1 expression in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. J Transl Med. 2019 Dec 26;17(1):429. doi: 10.1186/s12967-019-02182-1. PubMed PMID: 31878938; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6933901
- Jonna S, Feldman RA, Swensen J, Gatalica Z, Korn WM, Borghaei H, Ma PC, Nieva JJ, Spira Al, Vanderwalde AM, Wozniak AJ, Kim ES, Liu SV. Detection of NRG1 Gene Fusions in Solid Tumors. Clin Cancer Res. 2019 Aug 15;25(16):4966-4972. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-19-0160. PubMed PMID:30988082.
- Baghdadi Tareq Al, Halabi Susan, Garrett-Mayer Elizabeth, Mangat Pam K., Ahn Eugene R., Sahai Vaibhav, Alvarez Ricardo H., Kim Edward S., Yost Kathleen J., Rygiel Andrew, Antonelli Kaitlyn, Butler Nicole L., Bruinooge Susanna, Schilsky Richard. Palbociclib in Patients With Pancreatic and Biliary Cancer With CDKN2A Alterations: Results From the Targeted Agent and Profiling Utilization Registry Study. JCO Precision Oncology. 2019 August; 1-8, doi:10.1200/po.19.00124.
- Ersek JL, Symanowski JT, Han Y, Howard A, Dumas K, Ahrens W, Kim E, Kim ES. Pulmonary Carcinoma: A Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Analysis. Clin Lung Cancer, 2019 July 10;. doi: 10.1016/j.cllc.2019.07.001. PubMed PMID: 31455596.
- Levit LA, Kim ES, McAneny BL, Nadauld LD, Levit K, Schenkel C, Schilsky RL. Implementing Precision Medicine in Community-Based Oncology Programs: Three Models. J Oncol Pract. 2019 Jun 15(6):325-329. doi:10.1200/JOP.18.00661. PubMed PMID:30802151.
- Mileham, KF, Ahmad, MN, Kim ES. Targeted Therapy for Mutation-Driven Metastatic Non-Small- Cell Lung Cancer: Considerations for ALK-Rearranged Tumors. Oncology (Williston Park) 2019 Apr 15;33(4):152-5. PubMed PMID:30990569.
- Kim ES, Roy UB, Ersek JL, King J, Smith RA, Martin N, Martins R, Moore A, Silvestri GA, Jett J. Updates Regarding Biomarker Testing for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Considerations from the National Lung Cancer Roundtable. J Thorac Oncol. 2019 Mar 14(3):338-342. doi: 10.1016/j.jtho.2019.01.002. PubMed PMID:30709747.
- Halmos Balazs, Tan Eng-Huat, Soo Ross A, Cadranel, Jacques, Lee Min Ki, Foucher, Pascal, Hsia, Te- Chun, Hochmair, Maximilian, Griesinger Frank, Hida, Toyoaki, Kim Edward, Melosky Barbara, Marten Angela, Carcereny Enric. Impact of afatinib dose modification on safety and effectiveness in patients with EGFR mutation-positive advanced NSCLC: Results from a global real-world study (RealGiDo). Lung Cancer. 2019 January; 127: 103-111.
- Bonomi PD, Gandara D, Hirsch FR, Kerr KM, Obasaju C, Paz-Ares L, Bellomo C, Bradley JD, Bunn PA Jr, Culligan M, Jett JR, Kim ES, Langer CJ, Natale RB, Novello S, Pérol M, Ramalingam SS, Reck M, Reynolds CH, Smit EF, Socinski MA, Spigel DR, Vansteenkiste JF, Wakelee H, Thatcher N. Predictive biomarkers for response to EGFR-directed monoclonal antibodies for advanced squamous cell lung cancer. Ann Oncol. 2018 Aug 1;29(8):1701-1709. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdy196. PubMed PMID: 29905778.
- Hirsch FR, Kerr KM, Bunn PA Jr, Kim ES, Obasaju C, Pérol M, Bonomi P, Bradley JD, Gandara D, Jett JR, Langer CJ, Natale RB, Novello S, Paz-Ares L, Ramalingam SS, Reck M, Reynolds CH, Smit EF, Socinski MA, Spigel DR, Stinchcombe TE, Vansteenkiste JF, Wakelee H, Thatcher N. Molecular and Immune Biomarker Testing in Squamous-Cell Lung Cancer: Effect of Current and Future Therapies and Technologies. Clin Lung Cancer. 2018 Jul;19(4):331-339. doi: 10.1016/j.cllc.2018.03.014. Epub 2018 Mar 21. Review. PubMed PMID: 29773328.
- William WN Jr, Tsao AS, Feng L, Ginsberg LE, Lee JJ, Kies MS, Glisson BS, Kim ES. Single Arm, Phase II Study of Cisplatin, Docetaxel, and Erlotinib in Patients with Recurrent and/or Metastatic Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinomas. Oncologist. 2018 May;23(5):526-e49. doi: 10.1634/theoncologist.2017-0661. Epub 2018 Jan 25. PubMed PMID: 29371473; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5947451.
- Saintigny P, William WN Jr, Foy JP, Papadimitrakopoulou V, Lang W, Zhang L, Fan YH, Feng L, Kim ES, El-Naggar AK, Lee JJ, Mao L, Hong WK, Lingen MW, Lippman SM. Met Receptor Tyrosine Kinase and Chemoprevention of Oral Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2018 Mar 1;110(3). doi: 10.1093/jnci/djx186. PubMed PMID: 29617836; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5946820.
- Ersek JL, Black LJ, Thompson MA, Kim ES: Implementing Precision Medicine Programs and Clinical Trials in the Community-Based Oncology Practice: Barriers and Best Practices. American Society of Clinical Oncology Educational Book:188-196, 2018 PMC5692723.
- Patronik KE, Kim ES. A Novel Clinical Pathways Approach to Delivering Regional-Based Clinical Trials and Patient Care in a Hybrid Academic-Community-Based System. J Clin Pathways. 2018;4(4):52-55. doi:10.25270/JCP.2018.05.00016
- Kim ES, Bruinooge SS, Roberts S, Ison G, Lin NU, Gore L, Uldrick TS, Lichtman SM, Roach N, Beaver JA, Sridhara R, Hesketh PJ, Denicoff AM, Garrett-Mayer E, Rubin E, Multani P, Prowell TM, Schenkel C, Kozak M, Allen J, Sigal E, Schilsky RL. Broadening Eligibility Criteria to Make Clinical Trials More Representative: American Society of Clinical Oncology and Friends of Cancer Research Joint Research Statement. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Nov 20;35(33):3737-3744. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2017.73.7916. Epub 2017 Oct 2. PubMed PMID: 28968170; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5692724.
- Kim DW, Tiseo M, Ahn MJ, Reckamp KL, Hansen KH, Kim SW, Huber RM, West HL, Groen HJM, Hochmair MJ, Leighl NB, Gettinger SN, Langer CJ, Paz-Ares Rodríguez LG, Smit EF, Kim ES, Reichmann W, Haluska FG, Kerstein D, Camidge DR. Brigatinib in Patients With Crizotinib-Refractory Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase-Positive Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: A Randomized, Multicenter Phase II Trial. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Aug 1;35(22):2490-2498. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2016.71.5904. Epub 2017 May 5. PubMed PMID: 28475456.
- Schwartzberg L, Kim ES, Liu D, Schrag D. Precision Oncology: Who, How, What, When, and When Not? Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2017;37:160-169. doi: 10.14694/EDBK_174176. Review. PubMed PMID: 28561651.
- Fenske DC, Price GL, Hess LM, John WJ, Kim ES. Systematic Review of Brain Metastases in Patients With Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer in the United States, European Union, and Japan. Clin Lung Cancer. 2017 Nov;18(6):607-614. doi: 10.1016/j.cllc.2017.04.011. Epub 2017 Apr 26. Review. PubMed PMID: 28571688.
- Kim ES, Halmos B, Kohut IF, Patel T, Rostorfer RD, Spira AI, Cseh A, McKay J, Wallenstein G, Mileham KF. Efficacy and Safety Results of the Afatinib Expanded Access Program. Oncol Ther. 2017;5(1):103- 110. doi: 10.1007/s40487-017-0043-5. Epub 2017 Apr 10. PubMed PMID: 28680960; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5488108.