Gagandeep Brar, M.D.
“We need to remember that building sincere and genuine patient-doctor relationships is just as important as treating illness. We have the ability to provide comfort, hope and assurance in a time of fear and doubt for a patient and their family.”
For Gagandeep Brar, M.D., the path to oncology began after college when she worked for a pharmaceutical company and became interested in how cancer drugs work. Board certified, with expertise in pancreatic and liver cancers, Dr. Brar treats patients at the Mission Hills facility.
Dr. Brar earned her medical degree at Ross University School of Medicine in Dominica, West Indies. She continued her training with a residency at Rochester Regional Health in Rochester, New York, and fellowships at Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington, D.C., and the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland.
A native Californian fluent in English, Spanish, Punjabi and Hindi, Dr. Brar is excited to return to the West Coast. She identifies with City of Hope’s mission of providing excellent patient care with access to clinical trials and new and innovative treatments.
2018, Certified in Hematology, American Board of Internal Medicine
2018, Certified in Medical Oncology, American Board of Internal Medicine
2015, Certified in Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
2008-2012, Doctor of Medicine, Ross University School of Medicine, Dominica, WI
2003-2007, Bachelor of Science, Biology, Notre Dame de Namur University, Belmont, CA
2018-2019, Clinical Research Fellow, Focus – GI malignancies and immunotherapy, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD
2015-2018, Hematology and Oncology Fellow, MedStar Georgetown University Medical Center Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC
2012-2015, Resident Physician, Internal Medicine, Rochester Regional Health System, Rochester, NY
2022-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Mission Hills, CA
2019-present, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Attending Physician Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Weill Cornell Medicine/New York-Presbyterian, New York, NY
2018-2019, COSEP, Moonlighting Physician, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD
2007, Manufacturing Technician, Genentech, South San Francisco, CA
2015, American Society of Clinical Oncology
2020, American College of Physicians
- Brar G, Pinheiro LC, Shusterman M, Swed B, Reshetnyak E, Soroka O, Chen F, Yamshon S, Vaughn J, Martin P, Paul D, Hidalgo M, Shah MA. COVID-19 Severity and Outcomes in Patients With Cancer: A Matched Cohort Study. J Clin Oncol 2020 September; JCO2001580 (online ahead of print).
- Westblade LF, Brar G, Pinheiro LC, Paidoussis D, Rajan M, Martin P, Goyal P, Sepulveda JL, Zhang L, George G, Liu D, Whittier S, Plate M, Small CB, Rand JH, Cushing MM, Walsh TJ, Cooke J, Safford MM, Loda M, Satlin MJ. SARS-CoV-2 Viral Load Predicts Mortality in Patients with and without Cancer Who Are Hospitalized with COVID-19. Cancer Cell 2020; S1353-6108(29)30481-5 (online ahead of print).
- Brar G, Altekruse S, McGlynn K, Grubard B, McNeel T., Greten TF. The association between etiology and survival in hepatocellular carcinoma: a SEER-Medicare database analysis. Hepatol Commun 2020 August; 4(10): 1541-1551
- Xie C, Duffy AG, Brar G, Fioravanti S, Mabry-Hrones D, Walker M, Bonilla CM, Wood BJ, Citrin DE, Gil Ramirez, EM, Escorcia FE, Redd B, Hernandez JM, Davis JL, Gasmi B, Kleiner D, Steinberg SM, Jones JC, Greten TF. Immune Checkpoint Blockade in Combination with Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy in Patients with Metastatic Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 2020; 26(10)2318-2326.
- Floudas CS, Brar G, Mabry-Hornes D, Duffy AG, Wood B, Levy E, Krishnasamy V, Fioravanti S, Bonilla CM, Walker M, Morelli MP, Kleiner DE, Steinberg SM, Figg WD, Greten TF, Xie C. A Pilot Study of the PD-1 Targeting Agent AMP-224 Used With Low-Dose Cyclophosphamide and Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy in Patients with Metastatic Colorectal Cancer. Clin Colorectal Cancer 2019; 18(4): e349-e360.
- Brar G, Blais EM, Joseph Bender R, Brody JR, Sohal D, Madhavan S, Picozzi VJ, Hendifar AE, Chung VM, Halverson D, Mikhail S, Matrisian LM, Rahib L, Petricoin E, Pishvaian MJ. Multiomic molecular comparison of primary versus metastatic pancreatic tumors. Br J Cancer 2019; 121(3): 264-270.
- Agdashian D, ElGindi M, Xie C, Sandhu M, Pratt D, Kleiner DE, Figg WD, Pytlewski JA, Sanders C, Yusko EC, Wood B, Venzon D, Brar G, Duffy AG, Greten TF, Korangy F. The effect of anti-CTLA4 treatment on peripheral and intratumoral T cells in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2019; 68(4): 599-608.
- Xie C, Duffy AG, Mabry-Hrones D, Wood B, Levy E, Krishnasamy V, Khan J, Wei JS, Agdashian D, Tyagi M, Gangalapudi V, Fioravanti S, Walker M, Anderson V, Venzon D, Figg WD, Sandhu M, Kleiner DE, Morelli MP, Floudas CS, Brar G, Steinberg SM, Korangy F, Greten TF. Tremelimumab in Combination With Microwave Ablation in Patients With Refractory Biliary Tract Cancer. Hepatology 2019; 69(5): 2048-2060.
- Mantha S, Laube E, Miao Y, Sarasohn DM, Parameswaran R, Stefanik S, Brar G, Samedy P, Wills J, Harnicar S, Soff GA.. Safe and effective use of rivaroxaban for treatment of cancer associated venous thromboembolic disease: a prospective cohort study. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2017; 43(2): 166-171.