H1-B Specialty Occupation

Eligibility Requirements
The H-1B non-immigrant category is available for those seeking to enter the United States for the purpose of working in a "specialty occupation" (an occupation that requires a body of specialized knowledge along with at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent) Some positions may require additional license, registration, or certification which authorizes one to fully practice the specialty occupation and be immediately engaged in that specialty in the state of intended employment.
Maximum Period of Stay
H-1B status is granted initially for up to three years.  An H-1B extension may be requested up to a maximum total period of stay is six years.  One- to three-year extensions beyond the six-year maximum can be obtained under limited circumstances.  Please contact International Students and Scholars Office to discuss qualifications for these extensions.
Concurrent of Change of U.S. Employer
An H-1B is employer-specific, whereas an H-1B beneficiary is only authorized to work for the U.S. employer/company who filed an H-1B petition for the beneficiary An H-1B beneficiary can change or add US employers, but the new employer must file another or concurrent H-1B petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  The employee may begin work for the new employer as soon as another H-1B petition has been filed with USCIS, as opposed to waiting until the other petition is approved.
Spouses and Children of H-1B
The spouse and/or child/ren (under the age of 21) of the H-1B beneficiary may be admitted into the United States as dependents in H-4 status. H-4 are not permitted to engage in employment in the U.S.
How to Apply for an H-1B
A formal H-1B petition with USCIS is required.  City of Hope Immigration Services and its outside immigration law firms will prepare the H-1B petition to be filed with USCIS.  The preparation process will take 6-8 weeks, after which the H-1B petition is filed with USCIS.  Once the petition is filed, USCIS will take an additional 3 to 16 weeks to make a decision/adjudicate.  Once the H-1B petition is approved, the beneficiary may: (1) adjust status if already in the US; or (2) apply for an H-1B visa at a U.S. Consulate/Embassy abroad to enter in H-1B status.
Contact the International Students and Scholars Office at international@coh.org for details of H-1B specialty occupation sponsorship.