John H. Yim, M.D.
Dr. Yim is a brilliant surgeon.
John Hosei Yim, M.D., joined City of Hope in 2008 after eight years at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, where he developed a breast and endocrine surgery practice and maintained an active laboratory research program. His practice at City of Hope is focused on breast and endocrine diseases, as he continues his research studies through Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope.
Dr. Yim is developing new methods of molecular diagnosis for breast and thyroid nodules to see what treatments, including watchful waiting, are appropriate. He is pioneering the effort to treat cancer patients with baicalein, a natural product derived from a Chinese herb. Formulations of the baicalein are synthesized at City of Hope and clinical trial plans are underway.
A graduate of Yale University and Stanford University School of Medicine, Dr. Yim is praised by his patients for the time he spends educating each patient about their treatment options, as well as his superior surgical skills. He's been named one of the “Best Doctors in America” by Best Doctors Inc., a “Top Doctor” in Pasadena magazine and a “Southern California Super Doctor” in Los Angeles magazine.
Board-certified, American Board of Surgery 2001, Recertified 2010, General Surgery
1992, M.D., Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA
1986, BS, Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University, New Haven, CT
1994-1997, Research Fellow, Surgical Oncology Training Grant, Dr. Gerard M. Doherty, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, MO
1997-2000, Resident, General Surgery, Dr. Timothy J. Eberlein, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, MO
1993-1994, Resident, General Surgery, Dr. Samuel A. Wells, Jr., Barnes Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, MO
1992-1993, Intern, General Surgery, Dr. Samuel A. Wells Jr., Barnes Hospital, Saint Louis, MO
2019-present, Associate Professor, Division of Breast Surgery, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2008-2019, Associate Professor, Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2000-2008, Assistant Professor, University of Pittsburgh/UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA
American Heart Association Fellowship
FAES Summer Student Fellowship
Cum Laude, Yale University
Stanford Medical Scholars Award, Stanford University School of Medicine
James Ewing Foundation Trainee Award,Society of Surgical Oncology
Samuel A. Wells Jr. Resident Research Award, Washington University Department of Surgery
Aspen Cancer Conference Young Investigator Fellowship
SUS Foundation Junior Faculty Award Finalist
ASCI/AAP Joint Meeting Travel Award
Marquis Who’s Who in America
Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors, Inc.
America’s Top Surgeons, Consumers’ Research Council of America
Pasadena Magazine Top Doctor
Southern California Super Doctor (Los Angeles Magazine)
American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Central Surgical Association
American College of Surgeons, Fellow
Southwestern Pennsylvania ACS
Society of University Surgeons, Committee on Social and Legislative Issues
Association for Academic Surgery, Program
Allegheny County Medical Society
Pennsylvania Medical Society
ACS Oncology Group, Ethics, Endocrine Oncology Working Group
Southern California ACS
Los Angeles Surgical Society
Associate Editor, BMC - Cancer
Information listed here is obtained from Pubmed, a public database; City of Hope is not responsible for its accuracy.
- Yim JH (First and Corresponding Author), Choi AH, Li AX, Qin H, Chang S, Tong ST, Chu P, Kim BW, Schmolze D, Lew R, Ibrahim Y, Poroyko VA, Salvatierra S, Baker A, Wang J, Wu X, Pfeifer GP, Fong Y, Hahn MA. Identification of Tissue-Specific DNA Methylation Signatures for Thyroid Nodule Diagnostics. Clin Cancer Res. 2019 Jan 15;25(2):544-551. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-18-0841. Epub 2018 Aug 9.PMID: 30093451
- Yuan Y, Wen W, Yost SE, Xing Q, Yan J, Han ES, Mortimer J, Yim JH (Corresponding Author). Combination therapy with BYL719 and LEE011 is synergistic and causes a greater suppression of p-S6 in triple negative breast cancer. Sci Rep. 2019 May 17;9(1):7509. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-43429-7. PMID: 31101835
- Wen W, Marcinkowski E, Luyimbazi D, Luu T, Xing Q, Yan J, Wang Y, Wu J, Guo Y, Tully D, Han ES, Yost SE, Yuan Y, Yim JH. Eribulin Synergistically Increases Anti-Tumor Activity of an mTOR Inhibitor by Inhibiting pAKT/pS6K/pS6 in Triple Negative Breast Cancer. Cells. 2019 Aug 30;8(9). pii: E1010. doi: 10.3390/cells8091010. PMID:31480338
- Han ES, Wen W, Dellinger TH, Wu J, Lu SA, Jove R, Yim JH (Corresponding Author). Ruxolitinib synergistically enhances the anti-tumor activity of paclitaxel in human ovarian cancer. Oncotarget. 2018 Jan 31;9(36):24304-24319. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.24368. eCollection 2018 May 11.
- Kauffmann RM, Hamner JB, Ituarte PHG, Yim JH (Corresponding Author). Age greater than 60 years portends a worse prognosis in patients with papillary thyroid cancer: should there be three age categories for staging? BMC Cancer. 2018 Mar 22;18(1):316. doi: 10.1186/s12885-018-4181-4.
- Zhang K, Han ES, Dellinger TH, Lu J, Nam S, Anderson RA, Yim JH (Co-Corresponding Author), Wen W. Cinnamon extract reduces VEGF expression via suppressing HIF-1α gene expression and inhibits tumor growth in mice. Mol Carcinog. 2016 Jun 2. doi: 10.1002/mc.22506. Epub 2016 Jun 15. PMID: 27253180
- Wang Y, Han E, Xing Q, Yan J, Arrington A, Wang C, Tully D, Kowalik C, Lu DM, Frankel PH, Horne D, Yip MLR, Yim JH (Corresponding Author). Baicalein upregulates DDIT4 expression which mediates mTOR inhibition and growth inhibition in cancer cells. Cancer Lett. 2015; 28;358(2):170-9. Epub 2014 Dec 25.
- Armstrong M, Stang MT, Liu Y, Yan J, Pizzoferrato E, Yim JH (Corresponding Author). IRF-1 inhibits NF-κΒ activity, suppresses TRAF2 and cIAP1 and induces breast cancer cell specific growth inhibition. Cancer Biol Ther. 2015 May 26:0. [Epub ahead of print]
- Behrendt CE, Tumyan L, Gonser L, Shaw SL, Vora L, Paz IB, Ellenhorn JDI, Yim JH (Corresponding Author). Evaluation of expert criteria for preoperative magnetic resonance imaging of newly diagnosed breast cancer. The Breast. 2014 Aug;23(4):341-5. doi: 10.1016/j.breast.2014.01.005. Epub 2014 Feb 14.
- Gao J, Wang Y, Xing Q, Yan J, Senthil M, Akmal Y, Kowolik CM, Kang J, Lu DM, Zhao M, Lin Z, Cheng CH, Yip RM, Yim JH (Corresponding Author). Identification of a Natural Compound by Cell- Based Screening that Enhances Interferon Regulatory Factor-1 Activity and Causes Tumor Suppression. Mol Cancer Ther. 2011; 10(10):1774-83.
- Yip L, Tublin ME, Falcone JA, Nordman CR, Stang MT, Ogilvie JB, Carty SE, Yim JH. The Adrenal Mass: Correlation of Histopathology with Imaging. Ann Surg Oncol. 2010 Mar;17(3):846-52.
- Yim JH, Carty SE. Thyroid surgery and surgeons: the common interest. Thyroid. 2010 Apr;20(4):357-8. 44. Yim JH, Doherty GM. Skin and soft tissue tumors. In The Washington Manual of Surgery, Doherty GM, Baumann D, Creswell L, Goss J, Lairmore T (eds.), Little, Brown and Company, Boston, MA, 1997.
- Yip L, Pryma DA, Yim JH, Carty SE, Ogilvie JB. Sestamibi SPECT intensity scoring system in sporadic primary hyperparathyroidism. World J Surg. 2009 Mar;33(3):426-33.
- McCoy KL, Yim JH, Zuckerbraun BS, Ogilvie JB, Peel RL, Carty SE. Cystic parathyroid lesions: functional and nonfunctional parathyroid cysts. Arch Surg. 2009 Jan;144(1):52-6; discussion 56.
- Tublin ME, Pryma DA, Yim JH, Ogilvie JB, Mountz JM, Bencherif B, Carty SE. Localization of parathyroid adenomas by sonography and technetium tc 99m sestamibi single-photon emission computed tomography before minimally invasive parathyroidectomy: are both studies really needed? J Ultrasound Med. 2009 Feb;28(2):183-90.
- Yu J, Nikiforova MN, Hodak SP, Yim JH, Cai G, Walls A, Nikiforov YE, Seethala RR. Tumor-to-tumor Metastases to Follicular Variant of Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma: Histologic, Immunohistochemical, and Molecular Studies of Two Unusual Cases. Endocr Pathol. 2009 Winter;20(4):235-42.
- Yip L, Nikiforova MN, Carty SE, Yim JH, Stang MT, Tublin MJ, Lebeau SO, Hodak SP, Ogilvie JB, Nikiforov YE. Optimizing surgical treatment of papillary thyroid carcinoma associated with BRAF mutation. Surgery. 2009 Dec;146(6):1215-23.
- Yip L, Pryma DA, Yim JH, Virji MA, Carty SE, Ogilvie JB. Can a lightbulb sestamibi SPECT accurately predict single-gland disease in sporadic primary hyperparathyroidism? World J Surg. 2008;32(5):784-92; discussion 793-4.
- Seethala RR, Ogilvie JB, Carty SE, Barnes EL, Yim JH. Parathyroid Lipoadenomas and Lipohyperplasias: Clinicopathologic Correlations.Am J Surg Pathol. 2008;32(12):1854-67.
- Yip L, Seethala RR, Nikiforova MN, Ogilvie JB, Carty SE, Yim JH. Loss of Heterozygosity of Selected Tumor Suppressor Genes in Parathyroid Carcinoma. Surgery. 2008;144(6):949-55; discussion 954- 5.
- Yip L, Ogilvie JB, Challinor SM, Salata RA, Thull DL, Yim JH, Carty SE. Identification of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 in patients with apparent sporadic primary hyperparathyroidism. Surgery. 2008;144(6):1002-6; discussion 1006-7.
- Carchman E, Ogilvie J, Holst J, Yim J, Carty S. Appropriate surgical treatment of lithium-associated hyperparathyroidism. World J Surg. 2008 Oct;32(10):2195-9.
- Stang MT, Armstrong MJ, Watson G, Sung K-Y, Liu Y, Ren B, Yim JH. Interferon Regulatory Factor-1 induced apoptosis mediated by a ligand-independent Fas-associated Death Domain pathway in breast cancer cells. Oncogene. 2007;26(44):6420-30.
- Tublin ME, Yim JH, Carty SE. Recurrent hyperparathyroidism secondary to parathyromatosis: clinical and imaging findings. J Ultrasound Med. 2007;26(6):847-51.
- McCoy KL, Jabbour N, Ogilvie JB, Carty SE, Yim JH. The incidence of cancer and rate of false negative cytology in thyroid nodules >4 centimeters in size. Surgery. 2007;142(6):837-44.
- McCoy KL, Yim JH, Tublin ME, Burmeister LA, Ogilvie JB, Carty SE. Same-day ultrasound guidance in reoperation for locally recurrent papillary thyroid cancer. Surgery. 2007;142(6): 965-72; discussion 965-75.
- Hunt JL, Yim JH, Carty SE. Fractional allelic loss of tumor suppressor genes identifies malignancy and predicts clinical outcome in follicular thyroid tumors. Thyroid. 2006;16(7):643-9.
- Seethala RR, Yim JH, Hunt JL. Pathology quiz case 2. Parathyroid lipoadenoma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006;132(12):1391-3.
- Stang MT, Yim JH, Challinor SM, Bahl S, Carty SE. Hyperthyroidism after parathyroid exploration. Surgery. 2005 Dec;138(6):1058-64
- Hunt JL, Carty SE, Yim JH, Murphy J, Barnes L, Allelic Loss in Parathyroid Neoplasia Can Help Characterize Malignancy. American Journal of Surgical Pathology. 2005; 29(8):1049-1055.
- Pizzoferrato E, Liu Y, Gambotto A, Armstrong MJ, Stang MT, Gooding WE, Alber SM, Shand SH, Watkins SC, Storkus WJ, Yim JH. Ectopic expression of interferon regulatory factor-1 promotes human breast cancer cell death and results in reduced expression of survivin. Cancer Research. 2004; 64(22):8381-8.
- Kim PKM, Armstrong M, Liu Y, Yan P, Boucher B, Zuckerbraun BS, Billiar TR, Yim JH. Interferon Regulatory Factor-1 (IRF-1) Expression Induces Apoptosis and Inhibits Tumor Growth in Mammary Cancer Cells. Oncogene. 2004;23(5):1125-35
- Yim JH, Ro SH, Wu SJ, Lowney JK, Doherty GM. The role of interferon regulatory factor-1 and interferon regulatory factor -2 in growth inhibition of human breast carcinoma cell lines by interferongamma. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2003;23(9):501-11.
- Yim JH, Carty SE. Minimally Symptomatic Hyperparathyroidism: Medical Versus Surgical Management. Problems in General Surgery 2003 20(3): 1-10.
- Hunt JL , Yim JH, Tometsko MJ, Finkelstein SF, Swalsky P, Carty SE. Loss of Heterozygosity of the VHL Gene Identifies Malignancy and Predicts Death in Follicular Thyroid Tumors. Surgery. 2003;134(6):1043-7.
- Yim JH, Doherty GM. Papillary Thyroid Cancer. Current Treatment Options in Oncology 2000 1(4): 329-338.
- Carty SE, Roberts MM, Virji MA, Haywood L, Yim JH. The elevated parathormone level after concise parathyroid exploration for primary sporadic hyperparathyroidism. Surgery, 2002; 132(6):1086-92.
- Yim JH, Wu SJ, Lowney JK, Vander Velde TL, Doherty GM. Enhancing in vivo tumorigenicity of B16 melanoma by overexpressing interferon regulatory factor-2: Resistance to endogenous interferon–gamma. J Interferon Cytokine Res 1999; 19:723-9.
- Yim JH, Doherty GM. Thyroid and parathyroid glands. In General Surgery: Pearls of Wisdom, Breckler (ed.), Boston Medical Publishers, Boston, 1999.
- Yim JH, Siegel BA, DeBenedetti MK, Norton JA, Lairmore TC, Doherty GM. Prospective study of the utility of somatastatin receptor scintigraphy in the evaluation of patients with multiple endocrine neoplasia type I. Surgery 1998; 124:1037-42.
- Yim JH, Wick M, Philpott G, Norton JA, Doherty GM. Underlying pathology in mammary Paget’s disease. Ann Surg Oncol 1997; 4:287-92.
- Yim JH, Wu SJ, Casey MJ, Norton JA, Doherty GM. Interferon regulatory factor–1 gene transfer into an aggressive nonimmunogenic sarcoma suppresses the malignant phenotype and enhances immunogenicity in syngeneic mice. J Immunol 1997; 158:1284-92.
- Yim JH, Doherty GM. Cellular immunity to cancer. In Encyclopedia of Cancer, Bertino J (ed.), Academic Press, San Diego, CA, 1997.
- Yim JH, Barton P, Weber B, Radford D, Levy J, Monsees B, Flanagan F, Norton JA, Doherty GM. Mammographically detected breast cancer: Benefits of stereotactic core versus wire-localization biopsy. Ann Surg 1996; 223:688-700.