Maria C.B. de Leon, M.D.
Maria C.B. de Leon, M.D., is an assistant clinical professor in the Department of Surgery, specializing in gynecologic oncology. Her practice is located in the Antelope Valley, Santa Clarita and Mission Hills community practice sites.
Dr. de Leon earned her undergraduate degree in biochemistry from the University of California Davis with highest honors, before receiving her medical doctorate from the University of California Los Angeles. In 2012, she completed her residency in obstetrics/gynecology at Yale-New Haven Hospital in New Haven, Connecticut, where she was honored for her outstanding laparoscopic skills. She then went on to complete a gynecologic/oncology fellowship at Indiana University.
Dr. de Leon serves on the Statistics Subcommittee of the Gynecologic Oncology Fellow Research Network and also holds active memberships with the Society of Gynecologic Oncology, the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, and American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, among others. She is the recipient of several honors and awards, including Indiana University’s Simon Cancer Travel Award. Although just starting her academic career, she has already authored multiple publications and has been invited to present her work nationally.
Dr. de Leon is fluent in Spanish, Tagalog and Ilocano, and helps our patients in the community with the competence and kindness of her care.
2008, M.D., University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
2003, B.S. in Biochemistry, University of California Davis, Davis, CA
2000, A.S. in Biology, cum laude, Evergreen Valley College, San Jose, CA
2012-2016, Gynecologic Oncology Fellowship, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN
2008-2012, Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT
2016-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2014, Indiana University Simon Cancer Travel Award Recipient to ASCO meeting 2014 Certificate: Member of IUSOM GME House Staff
2012, Outstanding Graduating Resident with Laparoscopic Skills
2006, Letter of Distinction UCLA Medical School
2005, Letter of Distinction UCLA Medical School
2002, Outstanding Research and Academic Performance UC Davis
2002, Graduate with Highest Honor UC Davis
2002, Phi Sigma Biological Honor Society UC Davis
2000, Outstanding Graduate in Math and Science Evergreen Valley College San Jose, CA
Society of Gynecologic Oncology
Gynecologic Oncology Group
American Society of Clinical Society
American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- de Leon MC, Ammakkanavar N, Matei DE. Adjuvant Therapy for Endometrial Cancer – A Review. J Gynecol Oncol. April 2014;25(2):136-147
- de Leon MC, Wu HH, Del Priore G. Modified Tao Brush for endometrial cancer screening. March 2014. Journal of Reproductive Medicine
- de Leon MCB, Bolla S, Greene B, Hutchinson L, Del Priore G. Successful treatment with nab-paclitaxel after hypersensitivity reaction to paclitaxel and docetaxel. Gynecol Oncol Case Reports Vol. 5 August, 2013. p. 70-71
- de Leon MCB, Wu HH, Lennon EA, Del Priore G. A novel outpatient endometrial biopsy device to exclude endometrial cancer. Fertility and Sterility Volume 100, Issue 3, page S 163
- de Leon MCB, Wu HH, Lennon AE ,Del Priore G. Novel approach to outpatient endometrial biopsy to detect endometrial cancer. J Clin Oncol, May 2013 (suppl:abstr e16522)
- de Leon MCB, Gudipudi D, Del Priore G. Synchronous primary ovarian and endometrial cancer in recent years: Changes in recent years. J Clin Oncol, May 2013 (suppl:abstr e16554)
- Gudipudi D, de Leon MCB, Cardenes HR, Del Priore G. Comparing intensity modulated radiotherapy and conventional external beam radiotherapy in cervical cancer. J Clinic Oncol, May 2013
- de Leon M, Lu L, Hui P, Schwartz PE. Uterine Serous Carcinoma: Prognotic Factors and Treatment-Related Outcomes. J Clin Oncol 30, 2012 (suppl; abstr 5099)
- de Leon M, Lu L, Hui P, Schwartz PE. Demographics of Uterine Serous Cancer patients: A single institutional experience. J Clin Oncol 30, 2012 (suppl; abstr e15581)
- Elsahwi K, Hooper C, de Leon MC, Santin A, Schwartz P, Rutherford T, Azodi M. Comparison Between 155 Robotic vs 150 Open Cases of Open Surgical Staging for Endometrial Cancer. Gynecol Oncol Feb 2012;124(2):260-64
- Varughese J, Coco E, Bellone S, de Leon M, Schwartz P, Santin A. Uterine Serous Papillary Carcinoma Overexpress Human Trophoblast Cell Surface Marker and are Highly Sensitive to Immunotherapy with HrS7. Cancer July 2011;117(14): 3163-72
- de Leon M. Tarascon Medical Translation Book: Tagalog Chapter. Jones and Barlett Publisher 2010:269-289