A promise made is a promise kept. Four years ago, City of Hope committed to bringing its lifesaving care and pioneering research to Orange County, a community with growing needs. Now, it is opening its visionary comprehensive cancer center in Irvine, establishing a national best practice for delivering breakthrough research and pioneering treatments, and ushering in a new era of hope and healing.
City of Hope Orange County Lennar Foundation Cancer Center, a department of City of Hope National Medical Center, a general acute care hospital, is home to a team of cancer-fighting physician-scientists assembled from across the country. Patients receive fully integrated, multidisciplinary cancer care — from prevention through survivorship — in one convenient location where every physician and staff member is solely focused on treating and curing cancer.
A team of some of the world’s most acclaimed physician-scientists — with expertise in lung, breast, gastrointestinal, gynecological, genitourinary, blood cancers and more — leads next-level cancer treatment and research.
“With the opening of City of Hope Orange County Lennar Foundation Cancer Center, we are delivering on our promise to the people of Orange County and changing cancer care for our family, friends and neighbors,” said Annette Walker, president, City of Hope Orange County. “Four years ago, we pledged to bring the most advanced cancer care to Orange County, home to 3.2 million people. As we open our cancer center’s doors, our highly committed teams join the community in celebrating the delivery of tomorrow’s lifesaving treatments to those who need them today. Hope is truly here in Orange County.”
City of Hope Orange County Lennar Foundation Cancer Center is located on an 11-acre Irvine campus. It is the equivalent of four football fields of cancer research and treatment, with distinguishing services that will include:
- Acclaimed cancer expertise: Access to City of Hope’s 575 physicians and more than 1,000 researchers and scientists who only focus on cancer
- Lifesaving clinical trials: Access to nearly 1,000 innovative Phase 1-3 clinical trials being conducted at City of Hope each year — more cancer-focused clinical trials than anywhere in the area — to provide patients with promising new treatments long before they become the standard of care
- Breakthrough treatments: Targeted immunotherapies, including CAR T cell therapy, as well as bone marrow transplants, robotic minimally invasive surgeries and magnetic resonance imaging-guided radiation oncology. These innovations have demonstrated improved outcomes and a better quality of life for patients in treatment.
- Leading-edge technology: The latest and most comprehensive suite of market-leading radiology, interventional radiology and radiation oncology equipment, providing a powerful combination of high tech and high touch
- Integrative medicine: A trailblazing integrative medicine program combining the best of Western medicine and evidence-based complementary therapies, such as acupuncture, massage and meditation
- Cancer prevention: Programs that identify people and families with elevated cancer risk utilizing genetic risk assessments, biomarker panels and environmental surveys to help manage that risk
- Early detection: Novel blood testing and imaging techniques that find cancer early, when it is still easily curable. Patients will be among the first in the nation to access City of Hope’s new Center for Cancer Prevention and Early Detection.
- Precision medicine: Best-in-class genomic testing to profile a patient’s tumor and determine the treatment that will be most effective for their cancer
- Screening and diagnostic services: A suite of state-of-the-art imaging equipment and procedural suites, giving patients convenient access to mammography, colonoscopy, robotic bronchoscopy and other lifesaving services
- A clinical research unit: The epicenter for clinical investigational research that speeds the development of new drugs and interventions to the bedside, allowing patients to receive the latest treatments in cancer care
- Surgical oncology: An surgery department that offers advanced perioperative care, an endoscopy suite and operating rooms with robotic-assisted surgical capabilities
- Supportive care: City of Hope is a national leader in evidence-based supportive care. The Sheri & Les Biller Patient and Family Resource Center at the comprehensive cancer center in Irvine will facilitate easy access to a wide range of programs, including care navigation, survivorship programs, psychological and spiritual counseling, pain management and more.
Also read: City of Hope Orange County Lennar Foundation Cancer Center’s Leading-Edge Technology Provides Patients Precise and Advanced Treatments Built for and With the Community
City of Hope Orange County Lennar Foundation Cancer Center was designed with input from more than 500 patients, their families and community members. Every feature — from the gathering spaces and amenities to the lighting, wall color and the choice of artwork — was intentionally chosen to promote healing and comfort, and ensure patients and their families have the best care experience. Every employee is committed to delivering compassionate care, continuing City of Hope's legacy of taking patients’ hands and never letting go.
- 67 spacious exam and treatment rooms, and 15 consultation rooms equipped with the latest technology, allowing patients and family members to meet comfortably with their care team
- An infusion center designed around patient preferences with 43 bays and 10 private infusion treatment rooms. The infusion bays feature repositionable furnishings, flexible privacy options and panoramic views of the Saddleback mountains.
- Hope Boutique, a full-service salon and specialty shopping experience with oncology-trained cosmetologists who help patients with customized cosmetology services, breast prostheses and more
- A retail and specialty pharmacy that dispenses traditional, specialty and over-the-counter medications, alleviating the travel burden on patients for their medication needs. In addition, a compounding pharmacy provides a full evaluation of patients’ needs and prepares personalized chemotherapeutic and nonchemotherapeutic medications. Specialty-trained clinical pharmacists assist patients with medication management.
- A full range of state-of-the-art laboratory services in one location, making it convenient for patients to get routine blood draws
- Feng shui design, art galleries, a healing garden, dedicated space for family members to gather or work, and programs to care for the whole patient — mind, body and spirit.
Also read: City of Hope and Lowe’s Plant Healing Garden on New Cancer Campus
The new cancer center answers several compelling needs for the Orange County community. Orange County is not immune to the national 1 in 3 statistic for cancer incidence. Also, nearly 20% of residents have left the area for advanced cancer care, many traveling up to two hours each way to City of Hope in Duarte.
“I've been waiting for this day ever since City of Hope announced its plans for an Orange County campus. Whenever I connect with people navigating a cancer diagnosis, my first piece of advice is always to find a cancer-specific research center for the most advanced care. Now, right here in our community, people with cancer have the highly specialized and compassionate care they need — all in one place,” says Leslie Bruce, a grateful patient.
The cancer center was made possible by a transformational $50 million gift from Lennar Foundation, the charitable arm of homebuilder Lennar Corporation. It will serve as the centerpiece of City of Hope Orange County’s cancer campus of the future and network of cancer care. Orange County’s only specialty hospital exclusively focused on treating and curing cancer will open on the Irvine campus in 2025.