Alex Herrera, M.D.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Hematology and Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation
Alex Herrera, M.D.
- Immunotherapy and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in patients with lymphoma
Alex Herrera, M.D., earned his undergraduate degree summa cum laude from Princeton University and received his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA. While in Boston, Dr. Herrera completed his residency in internal medicine at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, before pursuing a hematology-oncology fellowship at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Herrera's clinical and research interests center on immunotherapy and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in patients with lymphoma. He leads several clinical trials evaluating immune checkpoint inhibitors and other novel agents for the treatment of relapsed or refractory non-Hodgkin lymphoma or classical Hodgkin lymphoma and in lymphoma patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. He also studies biomarkers of response and outcome in patients with lymphoma treated with immunotherapies or hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, including immunohistochemical and cytogenetic biomarkers, sequencing-based circulating tumor DNA detection, as well as gene-expression and mutational profiling and quantitative spatial immunofluorescence of tumor cells and the tumor microenivornment to identify biomarkers predictive of response to a treatment. The goal of these studies is to identify target populations for enrollment in rational prospective clinical trials using biomarker-based interventions to improve outcomes.
Dr. Herrera is the recipient of several honors, grants, and awards including the American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation/Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation George Santos Award for Best Clinical Science Article by a New Investigator, American Society of Clinical Oncology/Conquer Cancer Foundation Young Investigator Award, City of Hope K12 Paul Calabresi Career Development Award for Clinical Oncology, and the Lymphoma Research Foundation Larry and Denise Mason Clinical Investigator Career Development Award. He has published over 40 articles in peer-reviewed publications, abstracts and book chapters, and has been invited to present his work nationally and internationally.
Dr. Herrera is a member of the Toni Stephenson Lymphoma Center.
- 2015 - Present - Assistant Professor, Department of Hematology and Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2014 - 2015 - Instructor, City of Hope, Bone Marrow Transplantation Fellowship, Duarte, CA
- 2004 - 2009 - Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, M.D.
- 1999 - 2003 - Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, A.B. History, Summa Cum Laude
- 2014 - 2015 - Bone Marrow Transplantation Fellowship, City of Hope National Medical Center
- 2012 - 2014 - Hematology-Oncology Fellowship, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2009 - 2012 - Internal Medicine Internship & Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Hematology
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Oncology
February 01, 2017
December 07, 2016
February 09, 2015
Herrera AF and Armand P. Minimal Residual Disease Assessment in Lymphoma: Methods and Applications. J Clin Oncol. [in press]
Mei MG, Cao TM, Chen L, Song J, Siddiqi T, Cai JL, Farol LT, Al Malki MM, Salhotra A, Aldoss I, Palmer J, Herrera AF, Zain J, Popplewell LL, Chen RW, Rosen ST, Forman SJ, Kwak L, Nademanee AP, Budde LE. Long-Term Results of High-Dose Therapy and Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation for Mantle Cell Lymphoma: Effectiveness of Maintenance Rituximab. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2017 Jul 18.
*Herrera AF, *Mei M, Low L, Griffin GK, Merryman RW, Song JY, Bedell V, Sun H, Paris T, Stiller T, Brown JR, Budde E, Chan WC, Chen R, Davids MS, Freedman A, Fisher DC, Jacobsen ED, Jacobson CA, Kim HT, LaCasce AS, Murata-Collins J, Nademanee AP, Palmer, J, Pihan GA, Pillai R, Popplewell L, Siddiqi T, Sohani AR, Zain J, Rosen ST, Kwak LW, Weinstock DM, Forman SJ, Weisenburger DD, Kim Y, Rodig SJ, ^Krishnan A, ^Armand P. Double Expressing and Double-Hit Relapsed or Refractory Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphomas Have Inferior Survival Following Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Jan;35(1):24-31. doi:10.1200/JCO.2016.68.2740. PMID: 28034071 *^These authors contributed equally
Herrera AF, Kim HT, Kong KA, Faham M, Sun H, Sohani A, Alyea EP, Carlton VE, Chen YB, Cutler CS, Ho VT, Koreth J, Kotwaliwale C, Nikiforow S, Ritz J, Rodig SJ, Soiffer RJ, Antin JH, Armand P. Next-Generation Sequencing-Based Detection of Circulating Tumor DNA After Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Lymphoma. Br J Haematol. 2016 Oct 6. doi: 10.1111/bjh.14311. PMID: 27711974.
Song JY, Song L, Herrera AF, Venkataraman G, Murata-Collins JL, Bedell VH, Chen YY, Kim YS, Tadros R, Nathwani BN, Weisenburger DD, Feldman AL. Cyclin D1 expression in peripheral T-cell lymphomas. Mod Pathol. 2016 Nov;29(11):1306-1312. doi: 10.1038/modpathol.2016.136. PMID: 27469326
Ghosh N, Karmali R, Rocha V, Ahn KW, DiGilio A, Hari PN, Bachanova V, Bacher U, Dahi P, de Lima M, D'Souza A, Fenske TS, Ganguly S, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Prestidge TD, Savani BN, Smith SM, Sureda AM, Waller EK, Jaglowski S, Herrera AF, Armand P, Salit RB, Wagner-Johnston ND, Fuchs E, Bolaños-Meade J, Hamadani M. Reduced-Intensity Transplantation for Lymphomas Using Haploidentical Related Donors Versus HLA-Matched Sibling Donors: A Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research Analysis. J Clin Oncol. 2016 Sep 10;34(26):3141-9. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2015.66.3476.PMID: 27269951
Herrera AF. Double-Hit Lymphoma: Practicing in a Data-Limited Setting. J Oncol Pract. 2016 Mar;12(3):239-40. PMID: 26962167
Armand P, Kim HT, Sainvil MM, Lange PB, Giardino AA, Bachanova V, Devine SM, Waller EK, Jagirdar N, Herrera AF, Cutler C, Ho VT, Koreth J, Alyea EP, McAfee SL, Soiffer RJ, Chen YB, Antin JH. The addition of sirolimus to the graft-versus-host disease prophylaxis regimen in reduced intensity allogeneic stem cell transplantation for lymphoma: a multicentre randomized trial. Br J Haematol. 2016 Apr;173(1):96-104. doi: 10.1111/bjh.13931 PMID: 26729448
Song JY, Venkataraman G, Fedoriw Y, Herrera AF, Siddiqi T, Alikhan MB, Kim YS, Murata-Collins J, Weisenburger DD, Liu X, Duffield AS. Burkitt leukemia limited to the bone marrow has a better prognosis than Burkitt lymphoma with bone marrow involvement in adults. Leuk Lymphoma. 2016 Apr;57(4):866-71. doi: 10.3109/10428194.2015.1085529. PMID: 26450341
Herrera AF, Jacobsen EJ. Ibrutinib in the Treatment of Mantle Cell Lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Nov 1;20(21):5365-71
Herrera AF, Kim HT, Bindra B, Jones KT, Alyea EP, Armand P, Cutler CS, Ho VT, Nikiforow S, Ritz J, Blazar BR, Antin JH, Soiffer RJ, Koreth J. A Phase II Study Of Proteasome-Inhibition For Initial Therapy Of Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2014 Jul 10. PMID: 25017765
Herrera AF, Crosby-Thompson A, Friedberg JW, Abel GA, Czuczman MS, Gordon LI, Kaminski MS, Millenson M, Nademanee A, Niland J, Rodig SJ, Rodriguez MA, Zelenetz AD, LaCasce AS. Comparison of Referring and Final Pathology for Patients with T-Cell Lymphoma in the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Cancer. 2014 Jul 1;120(13):1993-9. PMID: 24706502
Bhatt AS, Freeman SS, Herrera AF, Pedamallu CS, Gevers D, Duke F, Jung J, Michaud M, Walker BJ, Young S, Earl AM, Kostic AD, Ojesina AI, Hasserjian R, Ballen KK, Chen YB, Hobbs G, Antin JH, Soiffer RJ, Baden LR, Garrett WS, Hornick JL, Marty FM, Meyerson M. Sequence-based discovery of Bradyrhizobium enterica in cord colitis syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2013 Aug 8;369(6):517-28. PMID:23924002
*Herrera AF, *Soriano G, Bellizi A, Hornick JL, Ho VT, Ballen KK, Baden LR, Cutler CS, Antin JH, Soiffer RJ, Marty FM. Cord Colitis Syndrome In Cord-Blood Stem-Cell Transplantation. N Engl J Med. 2011 Sep 1;365(9):815-24. PMID:21879899 *These authors contributed equally
Schreiber YS, Herrera AF, Wilson D, Wallengren K, Draper R, Muller J, Dawood H, Doucette S, Cameron DW, Alvarez GG. Tuberculosis retreatment category predicts resistance in hospitalized retreatment patients in a high HIV prevalence area. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009 Oct;13(10):1274-80. PMID:19793433
Esserman LJ, Kumar AS, Herrera AF, Leung J, Au A, Chen YY, Moore DH, Chen DF, Hellawell J, Wolverton D, Hwang ES, Hylton NM. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Captures the Biology of Ductal Carcinoma In Situ, J Clin Oncol. 2006 Oct 1;24(28):4603-10. PMID:17008702
Text Book Chapters
Herrera AF, Alyea EP. Transplant for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. In: Lazarus H (ed). Current Concepts and Controversies in Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. (in press)
Herrera AF, Longo DL. Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkin’s. (2014). In: Caplan M (ed). Reference Module in Biomedical Sciences. Elsevier.
- 2015 - present, Member, Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG)
- 2013 - present, American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation
- 2013 - present, American Society of Hematology
- 2013 - present, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- 2013 - present, American Association for Cancer Research
- 2017 - 2020, Lymphoma Research Foundation Clinical Investigator Career Development Award
- 2017 - 2018, SWOG Integrated Translational Science Center Pilot Award
- 2016 - 2017, City of Hope Hematologic Malignancies Institute Pilot Project Award
- 2016 - 2017, National Institutes of Health Loan Repayment Program
- 2016, SWOG/The Jackson Laboratory/Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory NCI Integrated Translational Science Center Workshop
- 2016 - 2017, City of Hope Toni Stephenson Lymphoma Center Pilot Grant
- 2016 - 2017, Lymphoma Research Foundation Clinical Research Mentoring Program
- 2015, City of Hope K12 Paul Calabresi Career Development Award for Clinical Oncology
- 2015, George Santos Award for Best Clinical Science Article by a New Investigator, American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation/Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation
- 2014 - 2015, Annual Meeting Abstract Achievement Award, American Society of Hematology
- 2014, American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting Abstract Achievement Award
- 2014, American Society of Hematology Research Training Award for Fellows Finalist
- 2014, Young Investigator Award,American Society of Clinical Oncology/Conquer Cancer Foundation
- 2013, Annual Meeting Abstract Achievement Award, American Society of Hematology
- 2012, Chief Resident, West Roxybury VA Hospital, Brigham and Women's Internal Medicine Residency Program
- 2007 - 2008, Doris Duke Charitable Foundation International Clinical Research Fellowship
- 2005, Harvard Medical School Paul Dudley White Traveling Fellowship
- 2003 - 2004, Princeton Project 55 Public Interest Program Fellowship