Sagus Sampath, M.D.
Dr. Sampath Is wonderful in every way! A great doctor, easy to talk to, answers any and all questions plus gives you information you need to know, never makes you feel rushed, and makes you feel like he really cares. And my treatment was successful. - PatientSagus Sampath, M.D., is an associate clinical professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology and received his board certification in radiation oncology in 2011. He has been recognized by his peers as a "Rising Star" in Super Doctors 2020, and has been listed under Pasadena magazine "Top Doctors" from 2014 to present.
"Dr. Sampath Is wonderful in every way! A great doctor, easy to talk to, answers any and all questions plus gives you information you need to know, never makes you feel rushed, and makes you feel like he really cares. And my treatment was successful." was said by a patient.
Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
Diplomate, American Board of Radiology, Radiation Oncology
Active medical licenses in California and New Mexico
2001-2005, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA, M.D.
1997-2001, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, B.A., Molecular and Cell Biology
2009-2010, Chief Resident, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Utah, Huntsman Cancer Hospital, Salt Lake City, UT
2008, Resident. Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Utah, Huntsman Cancer Hospital, Salt Lake City, UT
2006-2008, Resident, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California Davis, Davis, CA
2005-2006, Intern, Department of Medicine, Alameda County Medical Center, Oakland, CA
2022-present, Medical Director, Department of Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2012-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2010-2012, Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of New Mexico Cancer Center, Albuquerque, NM
2015, Top Docs, Pasadena Magazine
American Brachytherapy Society Seattle Prostate Fellowship
ASTRO Advocacy Day 2010 Travel Grant
American Brachytherapy Society Seattle Prostate Fellowship
William Roentgen RSNA Research Award
2001, Phi Beta Kappa, University of California Berkeley
2010-present, American Society of Clinical Oncology
2006-present, American Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology
2006-2010, Association of Residents in Radiation Oncology
- Sampath S, Moerira D, Magharni E, Lee P, Massarelli E, Konylewski M. Myeloid Cell-Targeted STAT3 Inhibition Sensitizes Head and Neck Cancers to Radiotherapy and T cell-Mediated Immunity Journal of Clinical Investigation 2020 (in press).
- Frankel PH, Chung V, Tuscano J, Siddiqi T, Sampath S, Longmate J, Groshen S, Newman EM. Model of a Queuing Approach for Patient Accrual in Phase 1 Oncology Studies. JAMA News Open. 2020;3(5):e204787. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen 2020.4787
- Shinde A, Li R, Han C, Frankel P, Sampath S. Dos:metric predictors of genitourniary toxicity from a phase I trial of prostate bed stereotactic body radiation therapy. Practical Radiat Onc 2020 (in press).
- Chen BT, Jin T, Ye N, Mambetsariev I, Daniel E, Wang T, Wong CW, Rockne RC, Colen R, Holodny AI, Sampath S, Salgia R. Radiomic prediction of mutation status based on MR imaging of lung cancer brain metastases. Magn Reson Imaging. 2020 Mar 13 (epub ahead of print)
- Sampath S, Frankel P, et al. Stereotactic body radiation therapy to the prostate bed: results of a phase 1 dose escalation trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2020 Mar 1;106(3):537-545
- Sampath S, Rahmanuddin S, Sahoo P, Frankel P, et al. Change in apparent difficusion coefficient is associated with local failure after stereotactic body radiation therapy for non-small cell lung cancer: a prospective clinical trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2019 Nov 1;1-05(3):659-663
- Sampath S, Won H, Massarelli E, Li M, Frankel P, Vora N, Vora L, Magharni E, and Kortylewski M. Combined modality radiation therapy promotes tolerogenic myeloid cell populations and STAT3-related gene expression in head and neck cancer patients. Onco target 2018 Feb 2;9(13):11279-11290.
- Sampath S, Schultheiss TE, Wong J. Dose response and factors related to interstitial pneumonitis after bone marrow transplant. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2005 Nov 1;63(3):876-84.
- Sampath S, Schultheiss TE, Ryu JK, et al. The role of adjuvant radiation in uterine sarcomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2010 Mar 1;76(3):728-34.
- Sampath S, Schultheiss TE, Hitchcock YJ, et al. Radiotherapy and extent of surgical resection in retroperitoneal soft-tissue sarcoma: multi-institutional analysis of 261 patients. J Surg Oncol 2010 Apr 1;101(5):345-50.
- Sampath S, Schultheiss TE, Hitchcock YJ, et al. Pre-operative radiotherapy versus post-operative radiotherapy in soft-tissue sarcoma: multi-institutional analysis of 821 patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2011 Oct 1;81(2):498-505.
- Schroeder TM, Liem B, Sampath S, et al. Early Breast cancer with positive margins: excellent local control with an upfront brachytherapy boost. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2012 Jul;134(2):719-25.
- Bauman JE, Austin M, Schmidt R, Kurland B, Vaezi A, Hayes DN, Mendez E, Parvathaneni U, Chai X, Sampath S, Martins RG. ERCC1 is a prognostic biomarker in locally advanced head and neck cancer: results from a randomized, phase II trial. Br J Cancer 2013 Oct 15;109(8):2096-105.
- Sorra A, Schroeder TM, Liem B, Thompson W, Sampath S. Predictive factors for radiation pneumonitis in patients receiving intensity-modulated radiation therapy for thoracic malignancy. J Nucl Med Radiat Ther 2013; 4:149.
- Sun V, Kim J, Williams AC, Raz D, Sampath S, Ferrell B. Quality of Life and Symptoms Following Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy in Early Stage Lung Cancer Patients. Journal of Community and Supportive Oncology. 2014 Nov;12(11):407-414.
- Sampath S, Hall MH, and Schultheiss TE. Definitive chemotherapy and radiotherapy in patients with stage II non-small cell lung cancer: a population-based outcomes study. Lung Cancer 2015 Oct;90(1):61-4.
- Sampath S and Gaffney DK. Role of Radiotherapy Treatment of Uterine Sarcoma. Best Prac Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2011 Dec;25(6):761-72.