Samuel W. Chung, M.D.
Samuel W. Chung, M.D., a medical oncologist, earned his undergraduate degree in biology from the University of California at Riverside and his medical degree from the Loma Linda University School of Medicine. In 2003, he began his residency in internal medicine at the Roger Williams Medical Center at Boston University where he was chosen as chief resident in 2006. He went on to complete a fellowship in hematology/oncology with the UCLA-Olive View Program in Sylmar, California.
Dr. Chung came to City of Hope in 2012. Prior to joining the City of Hope team, he worked with the Wilshire Oncology Medical Group in Pasadena. He is board certified in hematology, medical oncology and internal medicine, and is a member of numerous professional societies.
2010, American Board of Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology
2010, American Board of Internal Medicine, Hematology
2006, American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine
1999 -2003 Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, CA, M.D.
1995 -1999 University of California, Riverside, Riverside, CA, Biology, B.S.
2007 -2010 UCLA-Olive View Program/Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Sylmar, CA, Hematology/Oncology, Fellow
2006 -2007 Roger Williams Medical Center, Boston University, Providence, RI, Chief Medical Resident
2003 -2006 Roger Williams Medical Center, Boston University, Providence, RI, Medical Resident
2012 - present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Arcadia, CA
2011 - 2012, Staff Physician, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, South Pasadena, CA
2011 - 2012, Staff Physician, Department of Medicine, Methodist Hospital, Arcadia, CA
2011 - 2012, Staff Physician, Department of Medicine, Section of Hematology/Oncology, Huntington Hospital, Pasadena, CA
2011 - 2015, Staff Physician, Department of Medicine, Verdugo Hills Hospital, Glendale, CA
2010 - 2012, Staff Physician, Medical Oncology and Hematology, Wilshire Oncology Medical Group, Inc., Pasadena, CA
2017, Pasadena Magazine, Top Doctors
2013, Pasadena Magazine, Top Doctors
2010, American Medical Association (AMA), Physician Recognition Award
2005, Associate's Forum Winner, Rhode Island Chapter, American College of Physicians, Warwick, RI
2011, Southwest Oncology Group
2010, American Society of Clinical Oncology
2010, American Society of Hematology
- Pharaon R., Chung S., Amini A., Maghami E., Chowdhury A., Vora N., Chang S., Kang R., Gernon T., Hansen K., Kelly C., Ackerman D., Vora L., Sampath S., Massarelli E. An Analysis and Comparison of Survival and Functional Outcomes in Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma Patients Treated with Concurrent Chemoradiation Therapy within City of Hope Cancer Center sites. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2020, 9(10), 3083.
- Mortimer J., Kruper L., Jung J., Wong L., Cooper J., Stewart D., Chung S., Yu K.W., Dadwal, S., Yuan Y. Characterization of infections and hypogammaglobulinemia treated with the combination of pertuzumab and trastuzumab. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology. 85, 501-507 (2020).
- Mortimer J., Jung J., Yuan Y., Kruper L., Stewart D., Chung S., Wai Yu K., Mendelsohn M., D’Apuzzo M., Tegtmeier B., Dadwal S. Skin/nail infections with the addition of pertuzumab to trastuzumab-based chemotherapy. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2014 Dec;148(3):563-570.
- Colvin G., Berz D., Liu L., Dooner M., Dooner G., Pascual S., Chung S., Sui Y., Quesenberry P. Heterogeneity of Non-cycling and Cycling Synchronized Murine Hematopoietic Stem/Progenitor Cells. Journal of Cellular Physiology. 2010 Jan;222(1):57-65
- Colvin, GA., Dooner, MS., Dooner, GJ., Sanchez-Guijo, FM., Demers, DA., Abedi, M., Ramanathan, M., Chung, S., Pascual, S., Quesenberry, PJ. Stem cell continuum: Directed differentiation hotspots. Experimental Hematology. 2007 Jan; 35:96-107.