Tycel Phillips, M.D.
Cancer care is a sort of personal mission for Tycel Phillips, M.D.
As a teen, he saw how pancreatic cancer affected his grandmother and decided to follow her example of service and make his career helping others as a physician. When he was a medical resident, he lost his mother to breast cancer; her experience with chemotherapy inspired him to pursue research into treatments that are less toxic for patients.
His approach to patients is to listen first to understand their needs and develop the most beneficial treatment plan.
Dr. Phillips earned his medical degree from Rush University, followed by a residency in internal medicine at the John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in Chicago. His fellowship training in oncology/hematology took place at University Hospitals in Cleveland. Before joining City of Hope, he was a clinical associate professor at the University of Michigan, where he was appointed the Maria Reinhardt DeCesare Research Professor of Blood Cancers and Bone Marrow Transplantation.
Leading clinical trials into new targeted therapies is a vital part of Dr. Phillips’ work. He has published over 40 peer-reviewed studies and attracted dozens of research grants.
Away from work, Dr. Phillips likes to read, ride his bicycle with his children, exercise and travel.
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Medical Oncology
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Hematology
- 2006, Doctor of Medicine, Rush University, Chicago, Illinois
- 2001, Bachelor of Science, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
- 2012, Fellowship, Hematology and Oncology, University Hospitals, Cleveland, Ohio
- 2009, Residency, Internal Medicine, John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
2007, Internship, Internal Medicine, John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
- 2022-present, Associate Professor, Department of Hematology and Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation, Division of Lymphoma, City of Hope, Duarte, California
- 2020-2021, Clinical Associate Professor in Internal Medicine, Hematology/Oncology, University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 2015-2020, Clinical Assistant Professor in Internal Medicine - Hematology/Oncology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Paun, O., Phillips, T., Fu, P., Novoa, R.A., Honda, K.S., Lu, K.Q., & Lazarus, H.M. Cutaneous complications in hematopoietic cell transplant recipients: impact of biopsy on patient management. Biology of blood and marrow transplantation: Journal of the American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation 19(8): 1204-9, 08/2013. PM23688396.
- Megahed, A., Faulhaber, P., Phillips, T., & Koon, H. Delayed response in ipilimumab therapy. J Community Support Oncol 12(3): 109-10, 01/2014. PM24971417.
- Phillips, T., Devata, S., Wilcox, R.A. Challenges and opportunities for checkpoint blockade in T-cell lymphoproliferative disorders. J Immunother Cancer 4: 95, 01/2016. PM28031823/PMC5170899.
- Martin, P., Maddocks, K., Leonard, J.P., Ruan, J., Goy, A., Wagner-Johnston, N., Rule, S., Advani, R., Iberri, D., Phillips, T., Spurgeon, S., Kozin, E., Noto, K., Chen, Z., Jurczak, W., Auer, R., Chmielowska, E., Stilgenbauer, S., Bloehdorn, J., Portell, C., Williams, M.E., Dreyling, M., Barr, P.M., Chen-Kiang, S., DiLiberto, M., Furman, R.R., & Blum, K.A. Postibrutinib outcomes in patients with mantle cell lymphoma. Blood 127(12): 1559-1563, 03/2016. PM26764355.
- Chen, R.W., Li, H., Bernstein, S.H., Kahwash, S., Rimsza, L.M., Forman, S.J., Constine, L., Shea, T.C., Cashen, A.F., Blum, K.A., Fenske, T.S., Barr, P.M., Phillips, T., Leblanc, M., Fisher, R.I., Cheson, B.D., Smith, S.M., Faham, M., Wilkins, J., Leonard, J.P., Kahl, B.S., & Friedberg, J.W. RB but not R-HCVAD is a feasible induction regimen prior to auto-HCT in frontline MCL: results of SWOG Study S1106. Epub 2016 Dec 19. Br J Haematol 176(5): 759-769, 12/2016. PM27992063.
- Murga-Zamalloa, C., Polk, A., Hanel, W., Chowdhury, P., Brown, N., Hristov, A.C., Bailey, N.G., Wang, T., Phillips, T., Devata, S., Poonnen, P., Gomez-Gelvez, J., Inamdar, K.V., Wilcox, R.A. Polo-like-kinase 1 (PLK-1) and c-myc inhibition with the dual kinase-bromodomain inhibitor volasertib in aggressive lymphomas. Oncotarget 8 (70): 114474-114480, 01/2017. PM29383095/PMC5777707.
- Dolan, J.M., DeGraft-Johnson, A., McDonald, N., Ward, B.B., Phillips, T.J. & Munz, S.M. Maxillary and Mandibular Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma with Concurrent Periapical Endodontic Disease: Diagnosis and Management. J Endod 43(10): 1744-1749, 10/2017. PM28734649.
- Neumann, D.R., Marini, B.L., Phillips, T.J., Wilcox, R.A., Mayer, T.L., Brown, A. & Perissinotti, A.J. Pegasparaginase silent inactivation during therapy for NK/T cell lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma 6: 1-10, 11/2017. PM29105525.
- Wang, M., Schuster, S.J., Phillips, T., Lossos, I.S., Goy, A., Rule, S., Hamadani, M., Ghosh, N., Reeder, C.B., Barnett, E., Bravo, M.C. & Martin, P. Observational study of lenalidomide in patients with mantle cell lymphoma who relapsed/progressed after or were refractory/intolerant to ibrutinib (MCL-004). J Hematol Oncol 10(1): 171, 11/2017. PM29096668.
- Boonstra, P.S., Polk, A., Brown, N., Hristov, A.C., Bailey, N.G., Kaminski, M.S., Phillips, T., Devata, S., Mayer, T., & Wilcox, R.A. Epub 2017 Sep 25.: A Single Center Phase II Study of Ixazomib in Patients with Relapsed or Refractory Cutaneous or Peripheral T-cell Lymphomas. Am J Hematol 92(12): 1287-1294, 12/2017. PM28842936/PMC6116510.
- Phillips, T.J., Forero-Torres, A., Sher, T., Diefenbach, C.S., Johnston, P., Talpaz, M., Pulini, J., Zhou, L., Scherle, P., Chen, X., & Barr, P.M. Phase 1 study of the PI3Kδ inhibitor INCB040093 ± JAK1 inhibitor itacitinib in relapsed/refractory B-cell lymphoma. Blood 132(3): 293-306, 01/2018. PM29695516/PMC6107856.
- Zhang, J.Y., Briski, R., Devata, S., Kaminski, M.S., Phillips, T.J., Mayer, T.L., Bailey, N.G., & Wilcox, R.A. Survival Following Salvage Therapy for Primary Refractory Peripheral T-Cell Lymphomas (PTCL). Epub 2017 Dec 18 Am J Hematol 93(3): 394-400, 03/2018. PM29194714/PMC5803354.
- Wang, F., Gatica, D., Ying, Z.X., Peterson, L.F., Kim, P., Bernard, D., Saiya-Cork, K., Wang, S., Kaminski, M.S., Chang, A.E., Phillips, T., Klionsky, D.J., & Malek, S.N. Follicular lymphoma-associated mutations in vacuolar ATPase ATP6V1B2 activate autophagic flux and mTOR. J Clin Invest 130: 1626-1640, 01/2019. PM30720463/PMC6436860.
- Geer, M., Roberts, E., Shango, M., Till, B.G., Smith, S.D., Abbas, H., Hill, B.T., Kaplan, J., Barr, P.M., Caimi, P., Stephens, D.M., Lin, E., Herrera, A.F., Rosenbaum, E., Amengual, J.E., Boonstra, P.S., Devata, S., Wilcox, R.A., Kaminski, M.S., & Phillips, T.J. Multicentre retrospective study of intravascular large B-cell lymphoma treated at academic institutions within the United States. Epub ahead of print 2019 May 1. doi: 10.1111/bjh.15923 Br J Haematol: 01/2019. (In Press) PM31044423.
- Matasar, M.J., Luminari, S., Barr, P.M., Barta, S.K., Danilov, A.V., Hill, B.T., Phillips, T.J., Jerkeman, M., Magagnoli, M., Nastoupil, L.J., Persky, D.O., & Okosun, J. Follicular Lymphoma: Recent and Emerging Therapies, Treatment Strategies, and Remaining Unmet Needs. Oncologist 130: 1626-1640, 01/2019. PM31346132.