Virginia Sun, Ph.D., M.S.N., R.N.
- To assess and identify patient and family caregivers’ quality-of-life concerns and needs from perioperative/postoperative care and through long-term survivorship
- To develop and test innovative, telehealth/technology-driven interventions to improve patient/family centered outcomes
2010, Ph.D. Nursing, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
2002, M.S.N., Oncology NP, Yale University, New Haven, CT
1995, B.S. Communication, Emerson College, Boston, MA
2023-present, Professor, Division of Nursing Research and Education, Department of Population Sciences; Professor, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2019-2023, Associate Professor, Division of Nursing Research and Education, Department of Population Sciences, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2015-present, Member, Cancer Control and Population Sciences Program, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2011-2019, Assistant Professor, Division of Nursing Research and Education, Department of Population Sciences, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2010-2011, Assistant Research Professor, Division of Nursing Research and Education, Department of Population Sciences, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2004-2010, Senior Research Specialist, Division of Nursing Research and Education, Department of Population Sciences, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2002-2004, Research Specialist, Division of Nursing Research and Education, Department of Population Sciences, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
Preparing Family Caregivers and Patients for Lung Cancer Surgery
Diet Modification for Bowel Dysfunction in Rectal Cancer Survivors
Bowel dysfunction is one of the most common and persistent post-treatment long-term effects in rectal cancer. A multimodal diet modification intervention (Altering Intake, Managing Symptoms - AIMS-RC) was designed to support bowel symptoms self-management through appropriately adjusting diet. In collaboration with the University of Arizona, a Phase 2 preliminary efficacy trial, funded by the National Cancer Institute (1R21CA236057) and the Hope Foundation for Cancer Research, is currently underway. The trial is conducted through the SWOG Cancer Research Network (Study ID#S1820) and open to enrollment in 202 National Clinical Trial Networks and National Community Oncology Research Program sites across the country.
Remote Perioperative Telemonitoring of Patient-Reported Outcomes and Patient-Generated Health Data
Patient-centered outcomes are increasingly being used in routine cancer care as quality and value indicators. However, these outcomes are not adequately understood and routinely integrated into surgical oncology. Due to changes in healthcare and advances in surgical techniques, surgeons are asked to discharge patients earlier after surgery. Wearable and digital patient engagement technology have the potential to transform the current surgical care paradigm. We previously pilot-tested a remote perioperative telemonitoring program that starts before surgery and continues after discharge; we found that the remote communication approach is acceptable to patients. Our findings suggest that patients with more functional impairments (as measured by pedometer daily steps) are more likely to experience postoperative complications. With funding support from the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (IHS-2019C3-18215), a multisite comparative effectiveness trial is underway to test the effectiveness of proactive postoperative care through remote perioperative telemonitoring.
This research program is a multi-institutional, collaborative effort between the University of Pennsylvania, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Geisinger Health, and University of Arizona. Led by Dr. Robert Krouse, the research team is currently testing, in a National Cancer Institute funded Phase 3 trial, an ostomy telehealth intervention to improve self-management and self-efficacy in cancer survivors living with a permanent ostomy. Dr. Sun is the site principal investigator for City of Hope.
2017, Up and Coming Medical Researchers
2019, Member, Oncology Nursing Research Scientists Mentorship Task Force, Oncology Nursing Society
2018-present, Member, Older Adults with Cancer Committee, Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology
2018-present, Registered Investigator, Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology
2016-present, Member and Registered Investigator, Survivorship Committee, Palliative Care/End of Life Committee, Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) Cancer Research Network
2015-present, Faculty, City of Hope Complex General Surgical Oncology Fellowship Program
2014-Present, Member, Nursing Research Subcommittee, SWOG
- Sun V, Reb A, Debay M, Fakih M, Ferrell B. Rationale and Design of a Telehealth Self-Management, Shared Care Intervention for Post-treatment Survivors of Lung and Colorectal Cancer. Journal of Cancer Education. 2021;36:414-420.
- Sun V, Crane TE, Arnold KB, Guthrie K, Freylersythe S, Braun-Inglis C, Jones L, Cohen SA, Al-Kasspooles M, Krouse RS, Thomson CA. SWOG S1820: Altering Intake, Managing Symptoms for bowel dysfunction in survivors of Rectal Cancer (The AIMS-RC intervention trial). Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications. 2021:100768.
- Rossi LA, Melstrom LG, Fong Y, Sun V. Predicting post-discharge cancer surgery complications via telemonitoring of patient-reported outcomes and patient-generated health data. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2021;123:1345-1352.
- Melstrom LG, Warner SG, Wong P, Sun V, Raoof M, Singh G, Chavin KD, Fong Y, Adam R, Hugh TJ. Management of disappearing colorectal liver metastases: an international survey. HPB. 2021;23:506-511.
- Melstrom LG, Rodin AS, Rossi LA, Fu P, Jr., Fong Y, Sun V. Patient generated health data and electronic health record integration in oncologic surgery: A call for artificial intelligence and machine learning. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2021;123:52-60.
- Lai LL, Player H, Hite S, Satyananda V, Stacey J, Sun V, Jones V, Hayter J. Feasibility of Remote Occupational Therapy Services via Telemedicine in a Breast Cancer Recovery Program. American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 2021;75:7502205030p1-7502205030p9.
- Buckley E, Wong L, Woo Y, Melstrom L, Warner S, Raoof M, Fong Y, Sun V. Functional Impairments and Quality of Life in Older Adults With Upper Gastrointestinal Cancers. Journal of Surgical Research. 2021;260:267-277.
- Blakely AM, Hu H, Wong FL, Raz D, Erhunmwunsee L, Kim JY, Sun V. Deterioration in health-related quality of life is associated with lower lung resection rates in older adults. Journal of Geriatric Oncology. 2021;12:422-427.
- Lafaro KJ, Raz DJ, Kim JY, Hite S, Ruel N, Varatkar G, Erhunmwunsee L, Melstrom L, Lee B, Singh G, Fong Y, Sun V. Pilot study of a telehealth perioperative physical activity intervention for older adults with cancer and their caregivers. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2020;28:3867-3876.
- Mo J, Thomson CA, Sun V, Wendel CS, Hornbrook MC, Weinstein RS, Ercolano E, Grant M, Cidav Z, McCorkle RC, Krouse RS. Healthy behaviors are associated with positive outcomes for cancer survivors with ostomies: a cross-sectional study. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2020.
- Blakely AM, Chanson D, Wong FL, Eng OS, Sentovich SM, Melstrom KA, Lai LL, Fong Y, Sun V. Health-related quality of life and oncologic outcomes after surgery in older adults with colorectal cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2020;28:2857-2865.
- Deutsch GB, Deneve JL, Al-Kasspooles MF, Nfonsam VN, Gunderson CC, Secord AA, Rodgers P, Hendren S, Silberfein EJ, Grant M, Sloan J, Sun V, Arnold KB, Anderson GL, Krouse RS. Intellectual equipoise and challenges: Accruing patients with advanced cancer to a trial randomizing to surgical or nonsurgical management (SWOG S1316). The American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Care. 2020;37:12-18
- Rosenzweig MQ, Bailey DE, Bush NJ, Coombs LA, Lehto RH, Loerzel V, Sun V, Mooney K, Cooley ME. Mentorship for nurse scientists: Strategies for growth from the oncology nursing society research mentorship task force. Oncology Nursing Forum. 2019;46:769-774.
- Sun V, Raz DJ, Erhunmwunsee L, Ruel N, Carranza J, Prieto R, Ferrell B, Krouse RS, McCorkle R, Kim JY. Improving family caregiver and patient outcomes in lung cancer surgery: Study protocol for a randomized trial of the multimedia self-management intervention. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 2019;83:88-96. PMCID: PMC6661176
- Sun V, Wendel CS, Demark-Wahnefried W, Grant M, McMullen CK, Bulkley JE, Herrinton LJ, Hornbrook MC, Krouse RS. Diet and behavior modifications by long-term rectal cancer survivors to manage bowel dysfunction-associated symptoms. Nutrition and Cancer. 2019;71:89-99. PMCID: PMC6456395