William Dale, M.D., Ph.D.
- Arthur M. Coppola Family Chair in Supportive Care Medicine
- Clinical Professor, Department of Supportive Care Medicine
William Dale, M.D., Ph.D.
- Palliative Medicine
William Dale, M.D., Ph.D., is the Arthur M. Coppola Family Chair in Supportive Care Medicine.
Dr. Dale completed his medical and graduate school training at the University of Chicago and did his residency in internal medicine and fellowship training in geriatrics at the University of Pittsburgh. He is a board-certified geriatrician and palliative medicine physician with a doctorate in health policy.
Dr. Dale has devoted his career to the care of older adults with cancer. In 2006, he established the Specialized Oncology Care & Research in the Elderly (SOCARE) Clinic at the University of Chicago, which offers interdisciplinary, individualized, and integrated treatment to optimize quality of life for older cancer patients.
He has over 100 publications on medical decision making, behavioral economics, quality of life, and frailty evaluation in older adults, primarily those with cancer. He has been funded by the National Institute on Aging (NIA), National Cancer Institute (NCI), American Cancer Society, the John A. Hartford Foundation and the Foundation of Informed Medical Decision Making, among others. He is a co-investigator for the National Social Life, Health, and Aging Project (NSHAP), a national survey and biomeasure collection on the health, well-being, and social life of over 3,000 older adults.
- 2017 - present, Arthur M. Coppola Family Chair in Supportive Care Medicine, Department of Supportive Care Medicine, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2010 - 2017, Associate Professor of Medicine and Chief, Geriatrics & Palliative Medicine Section of Hematology/Oncology (Secondary Appointment), University of Chicago Medical Center, Department of Medicine, Chicago, IL
- 2003 - 2009, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Section of Geriatrics & Palliative Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 1999, Ph.D., in Health Policy, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- 1997, M.D, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 1990, Bachelor of Science with Honors, Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
- 2002 - 2003, Geriatric Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- 1999 - 2002, Internal Medicine - Primary Care, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2012, Diplomate, ABIM Certification in Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- 2004, Certificate of Added Qualifications in Geriatric Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine, Recertification Pending
- 2003, Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, Recertification Pending
- Maggiore RJ, Gorawara-Bhat R, Levine SK, Dale W. Perceptions, attitudes, and experiences of hematology/oncology fellows toward incorporating geriatrics in their training. J Geriatr Oncol 2014 Jan; 5(1): 106-15. PMID: 24484724
- Guo J, Konetzka RT, Dale W. Using time trade-off methods to assess preferences over health care delivery options: a feasibility study. Value Health 2014 Mar; 17(2): 302-5. PMID: 24636391
- Dale W, Hemmerich J, Kamm A, Posner MC, Matthews JB, Rothman R, Palakodeti A, Roggin KK. Geriatric assessment improves prediction of surgical outcomes in older adults undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy: a prospective cohort study. Ann Surg 2014 May; 259(5): 960-5. PMID: 24096757
- Drazer MW, Prasad SM, Huo D, Schonberg MA, Dale W, Szmulewitz RZ, Eggener SE. National trends in prostate cancer screening among older American men with limited 9-year life expectancies: Evidence of an increased need for shared decision making. Cancer 2014 May 15; 120(10): 1491-8. PMID: 24523016
- Maggiore RJ, Dale W, Gross CP, Feng T, Tew WP, Mohile SG, Owusu C, Klepin HD, Lichtman SM, Gajra A, Ramani R, Katheria V, Zavala L, Hurria A. Polypharmacy and potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults with cancer undergoing chemotherapy: effect on chemotherapy-related toxicity and hospitalization during treatment. J Am Geri Soc 2014 Aug; 62(8): 1505-12 DOI: 10.111/jgs.12942
- Dale W. How to integrate geriatrics in oncology care. J Geriatr Oncol 2014 Jul; 5 Suppl 1:S1. DOI: 10.1016/j.jgo.2014.06.006. PMID: 25063606
- Dale W. International geriatrics perspectives. J Geriatr Oncol 2014 Jul; 5 Suppl 1:S5. DOI: 10.1016/j.jgo.2014.06.016. PMID: 25063635
- Dale W. PSA: to screen or not to screen. J Geriatr Oncol 2014 Jul;5 Suppl 1:S6. DOI: 10.1016/j.jgo.2014.06.045. PMID: 25063639
- Hurria A, Dale W, Mooney M, Rowland JH, Ballman KV, Cohen HJ, Muss HB, Schilsky RL, Ferrell B, Extermann M, Schmader KE, Mohile SG. Designing Therapeutic Clinical Trials for Older and Frail Adults With Cancer: U13 Conference Recommendations. J Clin Oncol 2014 Jul 28. PII: JCO.2013.55.0418. PMID: 25071116
- Fung C, Dale W, Mohile SG. Prostate Cancer in the Elderly Patient. J Clin Oncol 2014 Jul 28. PII: JCO.2014.55.1531. PMID: 25071137
- Kilari D, Dale W, Mohile SG. How we treat early systemic prostate cancer in older men. J Geriatr Oncol 2014 Sep 20. PII: S1879-4068(14)00327-0. DOI: 10.1016/j.jgo.2014.09.177. PMID: 25248671
- Magnuson A, Dale W, Mohile S. Models of Care in Geriatric Oncology. Curr Geri Rep 2014 Jul; 3:182-189. DOI 10.1007/s13670-014-0095-4
- Sajid S, Jakubowiak A, Dale W. Multiple Myeloma in Older Adults. Curr Geri Rep 2014 Sep; 3:200-208. DOI 10.1007/s13670-014-0096-3
- Beiting K, Dale W, Meltzer D, Arora V. Knowledge & Values Transfer, Communication, and Trust: A Qualitative Assessment of the Doctor-Patient Relationship. J Am Geriatr Soc 2014 Mar; 62: S277-S278
- Kotwal A, Lauderdale D, Waite L, Dale W. Spousal influence on colon cancer screening in a nationally-representative sample of older couples. J Am Geriatr Soc 2014 Mar; 62: S152-S153
- Maggiore R, Dale W, Buss M, Hurria A, Chapman A, Dotan E, Klepin H, Naeim A, Mohile S. Geriatric Oncology Attitudes and Skills among Hematology/Oncology Fellows. J Am Geriatr Soc 2014 Mar; 62: S48-S48
- Magnuson A, Pandya C, Dale W, Wallace J, Mohile S. Association between symptom burden, functional impairments, and falls in older adults with cancer in a geriatric-oncology clinic. J Am Geriatr Soc 2014 Mar; 62: S148-S148
- Namm J, Dale W, Palakodeti A, Hemmerich J, Stocker S, Rothman R, Kamm A, Poli E, Baker M, Talamonti M, Choi E, Posner M, Matthews J, Roggin K. CT-based Assessment of Sarcopenia as an Outcome Predictor in Patients Undergoing Pancreaticoduodenectomy. Ann Surg 2014 May; 21: S172-S172
- Huisingh-Scheetz M, Kocherginsky M, Schumm P, Engelman M, McClintock M, Dale W, Magett E , Rush P, Waite L. Geriatric syndromes and functional status in NSHAP: Rationale, measurement, and preliminary findings. J Gerontol Ser B-Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 2014 DOI:10.1093/geronb/gbu091
- 2010-present, American Society of Clinical Oncology (Active Associate)
- 2003-present, Society for Medical Decision Making
- 2002-present, American Geriatrics Society
- 2002-present, Gerontological Society of America
- 2000-present, American College of Physicians