Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program
City of Hope, a National Cancer Instiute-designated comprehensive cancer center, is an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution. We are guided by a compassionate patient-centered philosophy, supported by a foundation of national humanitarian philanthropy and sustained by a long commitment to physician education.
The Hospice and Palliative Medicine fellows will have abundant, state-of-the-art resources at their disposal. The fellowship will consist of 13 block rotations. Each of these blocks addresses the necessary requirements for fellows to graduate with the best hospice and palliative medicine training.
The fellow will be exposed to patients with a wide variety of advanced medical and oncological diseases and symptoms. Fellows will demonstrate attitudes, knowledge and skills appropriate to the competent palliative care of patients managed on a palliative home care and hospice service in a variety of cultural and socioeconomic settings.
In addition to faculty-supervised rotations, fellows will have multiple educational activities in the form of monthly pain boards and journal club, and weekly didactics in topics important to hospice and palliative medicine. They will be encouraged to attend the Institutional Grand Rounds, Schwartz Center Rounds and the annual AAHPM conference.
Patient care will occur at the following sites:
- City of Hope National Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles
- Vitas Healthcare
- Kindred Healthcare
City of Hope
Hospice and Palliative Medicine Coordinator
1500 E. Duarte Road, Duarte, CA 91010
- Applicants must have successfully completed an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-approved residency program.
- Curriculum vitae
- A personal statement describing the applicant's interest in and commitment to a career in palliative care
- Three letters of recommendation, one of which should be from the applicant's department head, program director or division chief
- USMLE (U.S. Medical Licensing Examination) transcripts