Diana Bell, M.D.
Diana Bell, M.D., is a clinical professor in the Department of Pathology at City of Hope. She completed her anatomic pathology residency at Stony Brook New York State University, with subsequent fellowships in oncologic surgical pathology and head and neck pathology at MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Prior to her training, Dr. Bell completed an immunology postdoctoral fellowship in the field of dendritic cells and cancer vaccines. She is a member of several professional organizations, including the North American Head and Neck Society, European Society for Pathology and Head and Neck Working Group, American Head and Neck Society, North American Skull Base Society, American Association for Cancer Research.
A dedicated head and neck pathologist, Dr. Bell’s research interest is in finding and applying new strategies and technologies to better understand key molecular changes during the pathogenesis of head and neck cancers, with an emphasis on salivary gland and sinonasal tumors. Dr. Bell is a member of the WHO 2016 Consensus and Editorial Study Section of Head and Neck Tumors.
Dr. Bell became a physician because of a fascination with biotechnology and genetic engineering. She says she is passionate about head and neck pathology because such a “wide variety of benign and malignant tumors can be found in this region; this diversity is partly due to the anatomic complexity and highly varied tissues in this compact area.”
Conversant in French and Romanian in addition to English, she loves working at City of Hope because it is an “oasis for translational research.”
2008, Anatomic Pathology
1993, M.D., Medicine and Pharmacy, University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
2007-2008, Clinical Fellowship, Head and Neck Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
2006-2007, Clinical Fellowship, Oncologic Surgical Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
1996-2000, Clinical Fellowship, Baylor Institute for Immunology Research, Dallas, TX
1995-1996, Research Fellowship, The Institute for Molecular Biology, Jena, Germany
1996, Research Fellowship, Cancer Immunobiology Center, UT Southwestern, Dallas, TX
2002-2006, Clinical Residency, Pathology, State University New York, Stony Brook, NY
1993-1994, Clinical Internship, Internal medicine, surgery, anesthesia, Emergency Hospital, Bucharest, Romania
2021-present, Clinical Professor, Department of Pathology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2015-2021, Associate Professor, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, joint appointment, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
2011-2015, Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
2010-2011, Assistant Professor, Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS
2008-2010, Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
2005-2006, Chief Resident, Department of Pathology, Pathology, State University New York, Stony Brook, NY
2003-2006, Residents Forum NY Delegate
2018-present, Member, Clinical Cancer Research
2018-present, Member, Journal of Cutaneous Pathology
2014-present, Member, Annals of Surgical Oncology
2013-present, Member, Human Pathology
2015-present, Member, Histopathology
2011-present, Member, Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine
2012-present, Member, European Journal of Oral Sciences
2011-present, Member, Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy
2011-present, Member, Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine
2011-present, Member, Cancer Genetics
2011-present, Member, Biodrugs
2010-present, Member, Head and Neck
2010-present, Member, Cancer
2010-present, Member, Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
2008-present, Member, Annals in Anatomic Pathology
- Monteiro de Oliveira Novales, Hirz J, Guijarro I, Nillson M, Pissena MA, Gibbons DL, Myers JN, Bell D, William WN, Heymach JV. Targeting of CD40 and PD-L1 pathways inhibits progression of oral premalignant lesions in a carcinogen-induced model of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Prev Res. 2020 Dec 4 PMID: 33277316.
- Oramas DM, Bell D, Middleton LP. Sinonasal analogue HPV related breast multiphenotypic carcinoma, a report of a case with the first description in the breast. Diagn Pathol. 2020 Nov 20. PMID: 33218360.
- Ferrarotto R, Mitani Y, McGrail DJ, Li K, Karpinets TV, Bell D, Frank SJ, Song X, Kupferman ME, Liu B, Lee JJ, Glisson BS, Zhang J, Aster JC, Lin SY, Futreal PA, Heymach JV, El-Naggar AK. Proteogenomic analysis of salivary adenoid cystic carcinomas defines molecular subtypes and identifies therapeutic targets. Clin Cancer Res. 2020 Nov 10. PMID 33172898
- Hamza A, Ferrarotto R, Kaya D, Weber RS, Bell D. von Ebner’s glands intercalated duct adenocarcinoma with PALPB2 gene mutation. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2020 Oct 5. PMID: 33069082.
- AiD, Yao J, Huo L, Chen H, Lu W, Soto LMS, Jiang M, Raso MG, Wang S, Bell D, Liu J, Wang H, Tan D, Torres-caballa C, Gan Q, Wu Y, Albarracin C, Hung MC, Meric-Bernstein F, Wistuba II, Prieto VG, Sahin AA, Ding Q. TRPS1: a highly sensitive and specific marker for breast carcinoma, especially for triple-negative breast cancer. Mod Pathol. 2020 Oct 3. PMID: 33011748.
- Choi KY, Amit M, Tam S, Bell D, Phan J, Garden AS, Williams MD, Ferrarotto R, El-Naggar AK, Raza SM, DeMonte F, Kupferman ME, Hanna EY, Su SY. Clinical implications of diagnostic and histopathologic discrepancies in sinonasal malignancies. Laryngoscope. 2020. Sept 18. PMID: 32946597.
- Bell D, Bell A, Ferrarotto R, Glisson B, Takahashi Y, Fuller GN, Weber R, Hanna E. High-grade sinonasal carcinomas and surveillance of differential expression in immune related transcriptome. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2020. 49: 151622. PMID: 32927372.
- Lee DY, Brayer KJ, Mitani Y, Burns EA, Raop PH, Bell D, Williams MD, Ferrarotto R, Pytinia KB, El-Naggar AK, Ness SA. Oncogenic orphan nuclear receptor NR4A3 interacts and cooperates with MYV in acinic cell carcinoma. Cancers. 2020. 12(9):2433. PMID:32867110.
- Abdelmeguid AS, Bell D, Hanna EY. Neuroendocrine carcinoma and sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma. Adv Otorhinolaryngol. 2020; 84: 168-184.
- Ford JR, Rubin ML, Frank SJ, Ning J, Debnam JM, Bell D, El-Naggar A, Ferrarotto R, Esmaeli B. Prognostic factors for local recurrence and survival impact of local treatments on survival in lacrimal gland carcinoma. Br J Ophtalmol. 2020 Jul 17 PMID: 32680839.
- Ferraroto R, Bell D, Rubin ML, Hutcheson KA, et al. Impact of neoadjuvant durvalumab with or without tremelimumab on CD8+ tumor lymphocyte density, safety, and efficacy in patients with oropharynx cancer: CIAO trial. Clin Cancer Res. 2020 Apr. PMID 32269052.
- De Aguilar MCF, de Noronha MS, Silveira RL, Araujo JAD, Werkema FS, Bell D, Caldeira PC. Epithelioid rhabdomyosarcoma: report of the first case in the jaw. Oral Surg Oral MedOral Path Oral Radiol. 2020 March. PMID 32173396.
- Hamza A, Gidley P, Learned K, Hanna EY, Bell D. Uncommon tumors of the temporomandibular joint. An institutional experience and review. Head and Neck. 2020 Feb. PMID 32040228.
- Hamza A, Yao MKL, Lai SY, Bell D. Clear cell tumor of the maxilla with MAML2 and EWSR1 gene rearrangements: a true hybrid or fluorescence in situ hybridization fumble? American Journal of surgical pathology reviews and reports. 2020 January.
- Bitar R, Martiniova L, Bell D, Ravizzini G. Incidental 18F-Fluciclovine uptake in a Warthin Tumor of the parotid gland in a patient undergoing PET/CT imaging for biochemical recurrent prostate cancer. Clin Nucl Med. 2020 Jan 17. PMID 31977491.
- Kansara S, Bell D, Weber RS. Surgical management of non melanoma skin cancer of the head and neck. Oral Oncol. 2020 Jan. PMID 31821988.
- Pestana RC, Becnel M, Rubin ML, Tormn DK, Crespo J, Phan J, Hanna E, Bell D, Glisson BS, Johnson JM, Lee JJ, Ferrarotto R. Response rates and survival to systemic therapy after immune check point inhibitor failure in recurrent/ metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncol. 2019 Dec 10 PMID 31864957.
- Tam S, Yao CMK, Amit M, Gajera M, Luo X, Tristman R, Kanna A, Aashiq M, Nagarajan P, Bell D, El-Naggar A, Migden M, Wong M, Gillison B, Ferrarotto R, Esmaeli B, Rosenthal D, Li G, Weber RS, Myers JN, Gross ND. Association of immunosuppression with outsomes of patients with cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. JAMA Otolaryngol Head and Neck Surg 2019. Dec 5. PMID 31804658.
- Bell D, Ferrarotto R, Liang L, Goepfert RP, Li J, Ning J, Broaddus R, Weber RS, El-Naggar AK. Pan-Trk immunohistochemistry reliably identifies ETV6-NTRK3 fusion in secretory carcinoma of the salivary gland. Virchows Arch. 2019 Aug 19.
- Takahashi Y, Gleber-Netto FO, Bell D, Roberts D, Xie TX, Abdelmeguid AS, Pickering C, Myers JN, Hanna EY. Identification of markers predictive for response to induction chemotherapy in patients with sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma. Oral Oncol. 2019 Aug 13;97:56-61.
- Bell AH, Prieto VG, Ferrarotto R, Goepfert RP, Myers JN, Weber R, Bell D. Magnifying glass on spiradenoma and cylindroma histogenesis and tumorigenesis using systematic transcriptome analysis. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2019 Aug;41:14-23.
- Bell D. Sinonasal neuroendocrine neoplasms: current challenges and advances in diagnosis and treatment, with a focus on olfactory neuroblastoma. Head Neck Pathol. 2018 12:22-30.
- Bell A, Bell D, Chakravarti N, Ma J, Henton N, Prieto VG. Detection of microRNA molecular signature of ultraviolet radiation in the superficial regions of melanocytic nevi on sun-exposed skin. Mod Pathol. 2018. 31(11):1744-1755.
- Liang L, Williams MD, Bell D. Expression of PTEN, androgen receptor, Her2/neu, cytokeratin 5/6, estrogen receptor-beta, HMGA2 and PLAG1 in salivary duct carcinoma. Head Neck Pathol. 2018. PMID: 30390196.
- Amit M, Tam S, Takahashi H, Choi KY, Zafereo M, Bell D, Weber RS. Prognostic performance of the American Joint Committee on Cancer 8th edition of the TNM staging system in patients withearly oral tongue cancer. Head Neck. 2018. PMID: 30537405.
- Bell AH, DeMonte F, Raza SM, Rhines LD, Tatsui CE, Prieto VG, Fuller GN, Bell D. Transcriptome comparison identifies potential biomarkers of spine and skull base chordomas. Virchows Arch. 2017 Aug 27. doi: 10.1007/s00428-017-2224-x.
- Hanna EY, Abdelmeguid ASA, Roberts D, Bell AH, Weber RS, Bell D. Cellular subtype may predict survival outcomes in salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma patients-a single-institution experience. Virchows Arch. 2017 Oct 23. doi: 10.1007/s00428-017-2248-2.
- Bell D, Raza SM, Bell AH, Fuller GN, DeMonte F. Whole-transcriptome analysis of chordoma of the skull base. Virchows Arch 469(4):439-49, 10/2016. e-Pub 7/2016. PMID: 27401718.
- Bell D, Bell A, Bondaruk J, Hanna EY, Weber RS. In-depth characterization of the salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma transcriptome with emphasis on dominant cell type. Cancer. 2016 Mar 8. PMID:26953815.